Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odrl
    replied
    Robertson and Maguire have not joined the players who have done "this" twice. :smile:

For 3 points:

A full list of players who have done this should help, including everyone who has only done it one time. Since the year 2000 we have Graeme Dott, Stephen Lee, Stephen Magurire, Neil Robertson, Ricky Walden, Marco Fu and Barry Hawkins. In the 90s we had Terry Griffiths (2x), Steve James and Darren Morgan. In the 80s we had Kirk Stevens, Bill Werbeniuk, Eddie Charlton (3x), Tony Knowles, David Taylor, Ray Reardon (2x), Dennis Taylor and Terry Griffiths. And in the 70s we just had Rex Williams. :smile: I hope I haven't left anyone out.

Can you find the pattern?

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    For 4 points:

Since Hawkins did win two frames yesterday, he did not join Charlton, Reardon and Griffiths in that group of players who have done "something" at the Crucible on more than one occasion. Looking through the players that are still in the tournament, I see that Robertson and Maguire could theoretically join that group this year. For Robertson it would be very unlikely though, and Maguire would need to reach at least the SF to have any chance at all. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    I guess it has something to do with

a) losing frames in a row. Hawkins had some really dry spells. He lost 8 in a row against O'Sullivan in 2014 (and would so against Wilson if he fails to win another one) as well as 7 in a row to Higgins and Murphy.
    Griffiths lost 9 in a row to Hendry in 1989 7 to Davis in 1980.

or b) losing xx of the last xx frames multiple times.
    I like your thinking, but it actually has nothing to do with either of those options. The previous time Hawkins did it (or perhaps the better description would be that "it happened to him") was actually in 2016, which is also the most recent time it's ever happened. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    I guess it has something to do with

a) losing frames in a row. Hawkins had some really dry spells. He lost 8 in a row against O'Sullivan in 2014 (and would so against Wilson if he fails to win another one) as well as 7 in a row to Higgins and Murphy.
    Griffiths lost 9 in a row to Hendry in 1989 7 to Davis in 1980.

or b) losing xx of the last xx frames multiple times.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by JimMalone View Post
    Doesn't win a frame in the final session of his match for the second (or third, if you include the 2014 semi, where he already lost after three sessions ) time?
    But I would be imagine there would be more players.
    No, that's not it. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• JimMalone
    replied
    Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    If Barry Hawkins failed to win another frame tomorrow (leading Kyren Wilson 9-7 as I type this), he would become the fourth player, after Eddie Charlton, Ray Reardon and Terry Griffiths, to do what at the Crucible?

This is so delightfully obscure and ridiculous that I will give you another couple of hints... It has something to with matches of at least three sessions, and the three players mentioned are the only ones who have done something very particular on more than one occasion at the Crucible. What is it? :smile:
    Doesn't win a frame in the final session of his match for the second (or third, if you include the 2014 semi, where he already lost after three sessions ) time?
    But I would be imagine there would be more players.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    If Barry Hawkins failed to win another frame tomorrow (leading Kyren Wilson 9-7 as I type this), he would become the fourth player, after Eddie Charlton, Ray Reardon and Terry Griffiths, to do what at the Crucible?

This is so delightfully obscure and ridiculous that I will give you another couple of hints... It has something to with matches of at least three sessions, and the three players mentioned are the only ones who have done something very particular on more than one occasion at the Crucible. What is it? :smile:

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
    Lisowski/Jimmy Robertson (135) for tbe European Masters
    That's the one I was looking for. :smile:

Current standings:
    1. cantpotforshĂ­te - 7 points
    2. Mark187187 - 4 points
    3. JimMalone - 3 points

I think I'll stop with these for a while now, as the last couple were fairly uninspired. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Michael Georgiou (109) if we count the 2018 shoot out, then Lisowski/Jimmy Robertson (135) for tbe European Masters

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    The common link

argh for...... love of the game!

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    hm, Liang Wenbo then? nope soz

(ranking event
    Stuart Bingham
    None of the above. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    hm, Liang Wenbo then? nope soz

(ranking event
    Stuart Bingham
    Last edited by DeanH; 21 January 2019, 07:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Nope. :smile:

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Ronnie O'Sullivan

Leave a comment:

• Odrl
    replied
    Okay, for 1 point:
    The sequence is about players who have won the highest break prize in a ranking event with a break lower than 140.

Can you name the "?" we are looking for? :smile:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X