a break of 5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a break of 5?

can anybody work out and list the possible number of ways there are to make a break of 5? (my highest break), excluding a free ball. I have racked my brains and come up with a number im pretty sure is correct, although im not 100% sure.

1 five reds
    2 three reds, yellow
    3 two reds, green
    4 two reds, yellow, red
    5 red, brown
    6 red, green, red
    7 red, yellow, yellow
    8 red, yellow, two reds
    9 yellow, green
    10 blue

Then there are those positions when a player misses a colour after a red, and the balls are replaced and this time he hits and post (probably flukes) it:

11 brown, red
    12 green, two reds
    13 yellow, three reds
    14 yellow, red, yellow
    (and blue, but that's the same as no.10).

Any advance?

Comment

14? Below I think is a complete list of all mathematical possibilities, I've greyed out the ones I don't think are possible in snooker and there are 14 left.

(The odd looking ones that involve starting a break on a colour, then potting reds are legal if you're on a colour, you miss, your opponent has the balls replaced and you pot the colour. Not sure whether you considered those ones or not)

Edit: Statman got there first, but I'm pretty sure we've both covered all the options.

Comment

5 red

3 red, 1 yellow

2 red, 1 green

1 yellow, 1 green

1 blue

1 red, 1 brown

2 red, 1 green

1 red, 2 yellow

= 8 different options?

Comment

This has probably been asked been before but what is the answer for the general case. So how many possible ways are there are a break of n?

Is there a pattern (so from normal play):

1,2,3,4, 5, 6
          1,2,3,4,10,?

If balls are replaced after a miss:

1,2,3, 4, 5, 6
          1,2,4,7?,14,.....

Any ideas?

Dan.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
            1 five reds
            2 three reds, yellow
            3 two reds, green
            4 two reds, yellow, red
            5 red, brown
            6 red, green, red
            7 red, yellow, yellow
            8 red, yellow, two reds
            9 yellow, green
            10 blue

Then there are those positions when a player misses a colour after a red, and the balls are replaced and this time he hits and post (probably flukes) it:

11 brown, red
            12 green, two reds
            13 yellow, three reds
            14 yellow, red, yellow

Any advance?
            You missed green. yellow (in the missing colour and replaces balls situation.)

Comment

would a foul on blue for your opponent consider a break of 5 for you?
              ---

Comment

This seems to be funny! A break of 5 and so many ways to make it!
                Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

Originally Posted by RaNeN
                  This seems to be funny! A break of 5 and so many ways to make it!
                  This makes me to think that, this is a possible question for "puzzles with numbers and things", In a snooker games, which break between 1 and 155 has most ways to make that break
                  ---

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                    1 five reds
                    2 three reds, yellow
                    3 two reds, green
                    4 two reds, yellow, red
                    5 red, brown
                    6 red, green, red
                    7 red, yellow, yellow
                    8 red, yellow, two reds
                    9 yellow, green
                    10 blue

11 brown, red
                    12 green, two reds
                    13 yellow, three reds
                    14 yellow, red, yellow

Any advance?
                    The answer i had was 10 possible ways as listed above, i didnt realise you could start a break off on a colour (forgive my ignorance). if a player fouls on a colour after a red, can a miss be called? and if so shouldnt he be starting off on a red again?

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerelvis
                      The answer i had was 10 possible ways as listed above, i didnt realise you could start a break off on a colour (forgive my ignorance). if a player fouls on a colour after a red, can a miss be called? and if so shouldnt he be starting off on a red again?
                      If he is merely asked to play again from the position remaining, then yes, he'd start on a red.

But if the Miss was replaced, then he's got to retake the shot at the colour.

Think of it this way: The most likely reason a player would foul a colour after a red would be because he is snookered on all colours by reds. If the balls are replaced, it would be silly for him to play for a red, since he can obviously see reds. He is being penalised for failing to escape a snooker (which he got hinself into) – so he must now go for a colour again (he may choose another if he likes). If he flukes it, he will be credited with the relevant points and continue on a red.

Comment

Ah...i see now, thanks for clearing that up statman

Comment

Great question that one. I came across the same question in a pub quiz. We were told the answer was "5 ways"...(the clowns). As The Statman correctly points out, there are many more...however I only reached the original 10 ways as listed above.

Surely the 14 combinations as listed by The Statman are the only ones possible? If there are any more, I'll eat my cue, 15 reds and all the colours to boot. Then I'll guzzle down a match play table for desert.

Comment

Originally Posted by Harper
                            Surely the 14 combinations as listed by The Statman are the only ones possible? If there are any more, I'll eat my cue, 15 reds and all the colours to boot. Then I'll guzzle down a match play table for desert.
                            Actually, I think chasmmi's right. We both missed green then yellow (I ruled it out as impossible for no good reason that I can think of now), so that makes 15.

Enjoy your meal

Comment

Originally Posted by Harper
                              Great question that one. I came across the same question in a pub quiz. We were told the answer was "5 ways"...(the clowns). As The Statman correctly points out, there are many more...however I only reached the original 10 ways as listed above.

Well you'd better get your stomach in order, because as previously mentioned, I missed out the green-yellow, i.e. miss replaced on the colour after the last red. Replays the green, pots it and then plays yellow as first colour.

Comment

Working...
                              X