Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, cool.. Points taken.. Thanks

Comment

Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted under Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii). (As you say without penalty)

Until the colour is potted under Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii). So that means until they are on the colours, where rule 7a (actually all rule 7) no longer takes effect since once the first yellow is potted, control is handed to rule 3.

If rule 7 was still active when on the colours we would re-spot the colours when on them. So, we know 7 is not active.

But anyway, as I said, the next ball is Green. Rule 3 says the same thing, "and when next potted remain off the table, except as provided for in Section 3 Rule 4, and the striker plays the next stroke at the next colour on". So I will claim that a second shot at the yellow is not a shot at the next colour on. What will happen? The frame will end with a yellow (maybe removed if error is seen, pretty obvious with a white, black and yellow) on the table or the player potting a foul.

But, what defines the next on ball. The previous ball potted or the lowest value on the table. It's so not clear! I say green because the yellow shouldn't be there, but many would disagree. Though if yellow, the mistake could be made an unlimited number of times, don't know, reaching.. But it does say next, so sounds like relative to what's been potted.

Then continues to Sct 3, Rule 4 which is playing the black.

So to me, and I only browsed, the no penalty rule does not apply when on the colours. And it seems (to me) a gaping hole because rule 3 has no provision for a re-spotted ball. (actually it does, next ball on is next ball on and would continue to black, in my perfect world ). I just browsed cause I wanted to try and learn but they get good money to interpret to understand these rules.

My argument hinges on Rule 7 not being in effect once Rule 3(g)iii comes into play.

But you are right, with re-spotting, the buck doesn't stop with the player like I thought. Anyway, I had fun looking through the rules a bit.
      Last edited by SonicWave; 17 September 2013, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by SonicWave View Post
        Any colour pocketed or forced off the table shall be spotted before the next stroke is made, until finally potted under Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii). (As you say without penalty)

Until the colour is potted under Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii). So that means until they are on the colours, where rule 7a (actually all rule 7) no longer takes effect since once the first yellow is potted, control is handed to rule 3.

If rule 7 was still active when on the colours we would re-spot the colours when on them. So, we know 7 is not active.

But anyway, as I said, the next ball is Green. Rule 3 says the same thing, "and when next potted remain off the table, except as provided for in Section 3 Rule 4, and the striker plays the next stroke at the next colour on". So I will claim that a second shot at the yellow is not a shot at the next colour on. What will happen? The frame will end with a yellow (maybe removed if error is seen, pretty obvious with a white, black and yellow) on the table or the player potting a foul.

Then continues to Sct 3, Rule 4 which is playing the black.

So to me, and I only browsed, the no penalty rule does not apply when on the colours. And it seems (to me) a gaping hole because rule 3 has no provision for a re-spotted ball. (actually it does, next ball on is next ball on and would continue to black). I just browsed cause I wanted to try and learn but they get good money to interpret to understand these rules.

But you are right, with re-spotting, the buck doesn't stop with the player like I thought.
        OK, perhaps it would have been helpful if I had quoted Section 3 Rule 7 (b), as this is particularly relevant to the re-spotting of the yellow situation. It reads "If a colour is spotted in error after being potted in ascending order as per Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii), it shall be removed from the table without penalty when the error is discovered and play shall continue from the resulting position".

This explains that the players will not be penalised for any shots that they played on the yellow, when it was spotted by mistake. Obviously though, if it has already been potted, it cannot be removed from the table, so it can be thought of as having been potted without penalty instead.

The principle behind allowing the two points to be scored for potting the yellow a second time is found in Section 3 Rule 11 (c).

"If a foul is neither awarded by the referee, nor successfully claimed by the non-striker before the next stroke is made, it is condoned".

So if you do a foul, then another shot is played, then you can no longer be called for the foul you committed. Similarly if you pot a ball that you are not supposed to, and then another shot is played, then you will be awarded the points for your pot.

So in the example of re-spotting the yellow, if a player pots the extra yellow, then plays the green before anyone has noticed the error, then he is awarded the two points for potting the extra yellow (and he won't be fouled).

I hope this helps. You may also find it useful to read post number 14 of this thread.

Comment

I don't think you have got this entirely correct. When rule 7 refers to rule 3, it does not mean to say that this rule takes its place, but rather it is providing a reference for further information. Rule 7 (b) certainly applies when on the colours, as it refers specifically to this part of the frame: "after being potted in ascending order as per Section 3 Rule 3 (g) (iii)."

Furthermore, if you say that rule 7 is irrelevant when on the colours then what happens to 7 (d)? "If a colour has to be spotted and its own spot is occupied, it shall be placed on the highest value spot available."

Suppose blue, pink and black are the only object balls left on the table. The player at the table pockets the blue, but the cue-ball goes in as well. Now the blue must be re-spotted, but if rule 7, the rule for spotting colours, and particularly part (d), doesn't apply, then where is the referee supposed to spot the blue if its spot is not available?

Comment

WOW A 157 BREAK that is actually getting POINTLESS

Comment

Snooker Plus??

Comment

HI I know when player potted yellow the referee respotted yellow back on table thinking that a red was potted before yellow thus making a 157 total with a free ball making 16 Blacks and two yellows Run which seldoms happens
                Last edited by the montrealer; 27 December 2013, 05:56 AM. Reason: wrong total in message

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                  HI I know when player potted yellow the referee respotted yellow back on table thinking that a red was potted before yellow thus making a 157 total with a free ball making 16 Blacks and two yellows Run which seldoms happens
                  That is the correct answer, but I'm afraid that you weren't the first to get there.

Comment

The things you learn here!

Comment

My argument hinges on Rule 7 not being in effect once Rule 3(g)iii comes into play.
                      Rule 7 is applicable to the end of the frame. If a coloured ball is pocketed or forced off the table, when only colours are on the table, then the spotting is done according to the procedures laid out in rule 7.

It is not a foul, then, if the player plays with a ball incorrectly spotted, even if only colours are on the table.

I quite agree that the 157 is possible. Replacing the yellow on the table is possible in the circumstances described, but is more likely to happen if the player yhas taken the yellow off the last red, and then again as the first in sequence. Even more likley though is for the yellow not to be spotted after being taken off the last red.
                      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

I guess i could get a 29 break, got to remember thissssss.....
                        I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                        X