SSB - THE 2000s: THE BEST FINALS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSB - THE 2000s: THE BEST FINALS

It was a decade which served up some terrific matches, full of skill and drama that proved whatever problems there may have been off the table, the product on the table has never been better.

Many matches stand out, too many, in fact, to mention here. For that reason, I am limiting this review to finals only.

Hand on heart, I would say the best final of the decade was between John Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan at the 2006 Wembley Masters.

This was two of the greatest players of all time on top of their games going toe-to-toe right to the final ball.

When O’Sullivan missed match ball red to a middle pocket by a couple of millimetres in the decider, Higgins produced the best clearance of his career, 64, to land the title.

It was a fitting way for the Wembley Conference Centre’s last ever match to end.

Deciding frame finishes of course always throw up plenty of excitement, especially in finals.

O’Sullivan had three years earlier beaten Higgins 10-9 to win the Irish Masters. I remember in the decider he refused to roll up behind the brown after potting a red and instead blasted it into the middle before going on to win match and tournament.

This was part of a golden run of finals in 2003 that began when O’Sullivan beat Stephen Hendry 9-6 to win the European Open in a final that nobody saw because the tournament wasn’t televised.

I saw it and the standard was superb, although not as high as their British Open final a few months later, which included five successive centuries. Hendry won 9-6 in what was arguably his finest performance of the decade.

And the Crucible final that year saw Mark Williams hold off Ken Doherty, who recovered from 11-4 down to 12-12 before losing 18-16.

Williams’s first world title triumph in 2000 had seen him come from 13-7 down to edge Matthew Stevens 18-16.

Peter Ebdon felt the pressure at 17-16 up on Hendry in the 2002 final but admirably held himself together to win the decider.

And Higgins’s 2007 victory over Mark Selby was dramatic because of the way Selby came back at him, from 12-4 down to trail just 14-13 before the Scot stepped it up to win 18-13.

The previous year, Graeme Dott and Ebdon fought out a long but fascinating battle which Dott won 18-14.

The last ever Embassy sponsored world final saw Shaun Murphy outlast Stevens 18-16 in what was a gripping battle.

Murphy would lose 10-9 to Stephen Maguire in the 2008 China Open final, a match which kept a nation riveted until gone midnight.

At the Masters, Paul Hunter won three 10-9 deciders in four years, victories which hugely boosted snooker’s profile and proved its ability to produce exciting matches featuring dynamic characters the public could easily identify with.

The first Masters final of the decade brought heartbreak for Doherty, who missed the black off its spot for what would have been a 147 against Stevens, who compounded the misery by beating him 10-8.

Indeed, Doherty endured his fair share of disappointment in finals, also losing 10-9 to Williams in the 2002 UK Championship final.

Williams also came from 8-5 down to beat Anthony Hamilton 9-8 and win the 2002 China Open in Shanghai. I will always give Anthony credit for his refusal to make any excuses and blame anything other than his own lack of nerve as the pressure grew.

At the Welsh Open, O’Sullivan came from 8-5 down to beat Steve Davis 9-8 in 2004 and edged Hendry 9-8 after a terrific contest in 2005. Remarkably, this is the last time any player has successfully defended a ranking title.

The 2007 Welsh event saw unlikely finalist Andrew Higginson storm back from 6-2 down to lead Neil Robertson 8-6 before the Aussie fell over the line at 9-8.

In 2008, Mark Selby outdid O’Sullivan sufficiently to come back and beat him 9-8.

Though close finals tend to be regarded highly and remembered fondly, there were a number of superb performances by players winning easily.

O’Sullivan featured in the first of these this decade when he swept aside Ken Doherty 10-1 to win the 2001 UK Championship. Maguire did similar to David Gray in 2004 and O’Sullivan then thrashed Maguire 10-2 in 2007.

The Rocket also powered to a 10-3 victory over Higgins in the 2005 Masters final and beat Ding Junhui by the same score in 2007.

Ding, treated to great hostility by sections of the Wembley crowd and completely outplayed, tried to concede at 9-3.

For me, though, the best single performance has to be Higgins’s remarkable four successive centuries and 494 unanswered points against O’Sullivan in the 2005 Grand Prix final because it was a spell of utterly unstoppable snooker.

The 2000s was a decade in which standards across the board improved and the titles were more shared around than ever before.

And, my word, some of the snooker was sensational.

More...

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
    When O’Sullivan missed match ball red to a middle pocket by a couple of millimetres in the decider, Higgins produced the best clearance of his career, 64, to land the title.
    You might want to watch that one again. O'Sullivan missed a red to the yellow pocket, which would have left him 61 in front with 67 on the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      You might want to watch that one again. O'Sullivan missed a red to the yellow pocket, which would have left him 61 in front with 67 on the table.
      That's correct. Higgins potted the first red of the outstanding match winning clearance to the right middle pocket and it almost didn't drop. He also doubled the last red to the left middle. It is easily the best match and one of the best pressure clearances I've watched live on TV so far.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
        That's correct. Higgins potted the first red of the outstanding match winning clearance to the right middle pocket and it almost didn't drop. He also doubled the last red to the left middle. It is easily the best match and one of the best pressure clearances I've watched live on TV so far.
        I agree, IMO it is certainly the best Masters Final that i have ever witnessed...the quality shown from both players was truly breathtaking. Even to this day whenever i watch that final frame i still find it incredible how that red managed to drop into the centre pocket...seemed liked an eternity..
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
          Even to this day whenever i watch that final frame i still find it incredible how that red managed to drop into the centre pocket...seemed liked an eternity..
          I know exactly what you mean mate It seemed even longer then watching it live on telly. I remember that I jumped up from the sofa and punched in the air when the red eventually dropped, you know the feeling "this isn't over yet", thrilling stuff...

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
            I know exactly what you mean mate It seemed even longer then watching it live on telly. I remember that I jumped up from the sofa and punched in the air when the red eventually dropped, you know the feeling "this isn't over yet", thrilling stuff...
            LOL, that's not far from my reaction. I was already standing up before the shot, as I couldn't stay it in my seat. The drama was too much for me. I held my breath as the red was creeping up to the pocket, and then collapsed back to my seat when it went in.

And then I stood up again before Higgins played the double, and released a loud scream when it went in. Same with the final black. I only sat down again for the post match interviews.

I don't think I'll ever forget a single ball played in that decider.

Comment

I would have to say though that the 2004 Masters final would have to come a very close second. I had a few quid on Hunter to win the match even though he was 2-6 down to O' Sullivan at the time. Was so pleased for Paul Hunter plus i made a nice profit which made it even a more memorable final lol..
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                I agree, IMO it is certainly the best Masters Final that i have ever witnessed...the quality shown from both players was truly breathtaking. Even to this day whenever i watch that final frame i still find it incredible how that red managed to drop into the centre pocket...seemed liked an eternity..
                the frame use to be up on youtube but it got taken down, would be great if someone could upload it again, it really was an amasing clearance under pressure.
                New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
                X