Ssb - you missed again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - you missed again

Stephen Maguire today criticised the miss rule after he was called for ten successive misses - four off the record - when snookered on all the colours in his totesport.com Welsh Open semi-final against Ali Carter.

"It's a stupid rule and could have cost me the match," said Maguire, who trailed 5-2 at the time but ultimately won the frame despite giving away 40 points in fouls.

He did not criticise the match referee, Pete Williamson, who correctly applied the rule. Maguire could easily have hit the black off the top cushion but would have left a red on to a corner pocket had he done so.

Instead, he nine times attempted the green and had a go at the yellow as well. His attempts weren't helped by the fact that the side cushion was sliding.

The miss rule as it now stands was never intended to illicit 30 or 40 points from a single snooker.

However, before it was changed players were guilty of not making good enough attempts to get out of snookers.

The way out of all this would be the bold move of simply allowing players to put the cue ball where they liked after a foul. It would also considerably speed up play.

I don't believe this should ever happen in a ranking event because it would negate much of the skill - and drama - associated with top level match snooker.

But you could bring it into a new event as a novelty. I'm sure the new regime running snooker have already considered it.

More...

this rule is great, no change needed at all.

smaller tables, bigger pockets, cue ball in hand after a miss, t-shirts instead of bowties... :O

Comment

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
      The way out of all this would be the bold move of simply allowing players to put the cue ball where they liked after a foul. It would also considerably speed up play.

I don't believe this should ever happen in a ranking event because it would negate much of the skill - and drama - associated with top level match snooker.

But you could bring it into a new event as a novelty. I'm sure the new regime running snooker have already considered it.

More...
      why noone remembers oneforseven

Comment

That's just nonsense from Maguire. He played a foul shot ten times, when he could have easily avoided it. Why should he get away with it?

Comment

What is the meaning of snookering your opponent, then? And placing the cue ball wherever you would like to can be a useless option, if the object ball is tied up with another ball in a situation when the object ball can not be potted..
          All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post

if he is critizing the miss rule, and suggesting this as a replacement, why didn't he just go for the black instead of having 10 goes at hitting the green when he was snookered by the red?

Comment

If Ali had been allowed to pick the white up after the first miss and place it anywhere he wanted he could have scored those extra 36 points through his own skill at the table rather than by default whilst sitting in his chair.

Just a thought!
              Steve Butler
              www.nottinghamsnooker.com
              Nottingham Snooker YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
              X