Ssb - ding v hendry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - ding v hendry

Five years ago this April, Ding Junhui beat Stephen Hendry 9-5 to win the China Open in Beijing.
    If Dennis Taylor v Steve Davis in 1985 was the high watermark of the UK snooker boom, so this match will be remembered as significant in the story of the sport in China.

Had Ding not won, who knows whether snooker would have enjoyed the success it has in the world’s most populated country?

Barry Hearn, now the WPBSA chairman, led forays to China in the early 1980s and the first ranking event was staged there in 1990 but it was nine years until the second.

After the 2002 China Open, none more were held there until 2005. That tournament was a one-year deal but Ding’s success has seen two ranking events, fully funded by the Chinese, added to the calendar.

This weekend, Ding plays Hendry again in a best-of-25 frames ‘East v West’ exhibition match to be screened live on Chinese television and online around the world.

Hendry has said in the lead up that he expects Ding to become world champion. I agree with him, although, of course, this doesn’t mean anything. There are plenty of talented players who have never won the Big One, despite predictions to the contrary.

Ding has already won two UK Championship titles but does he have the temperament to last 17 days at the Crucible?

To win the World Championship, a player needs vast reserves of mental stamina to cope with the unique pressures Sheffield produces.

For Ding, this is multiplied by the fact that there are many, many millions following his every shot back home.

But it’s noticeable that his fortunes have improved this season just as Liang Wenbo has broken through as a likely top 16 player.

Liang’s progress has maybe spurred Ding on and perhaps removed some of the pressures a lone flag bearer would feel.

He seems single minded in the same way Hendry was and his shyness masks an inner steel.

It seems possible that he can in future emulate some of Hendry’s achievements, although it’s unlikely he will overtake them.

Then again, it’s unlikely anyone else will either.

More...

Starting today isnt it?
    Any livestreams??
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

What's the venue for this match? Site doesn't say and neither does Dave.

Comment

can anyone actually get it to work? nothing happens when you click the link

Comment

I got to the link thought it says that match is 5-7 February but live broadcast starts in 5 days

Comment

I mean nothing happens when you click watch live, tried 2 different browsers.

Comment

Feb 5th 2.30pm(GMT+8) China 1 V China 2
              Feb 5th 7.30pm(GMT+8) Winner above V Allen
              (9 or 11 frames)
              Feb 6th 2.30pm(GMT+8) Ding V Hendry
              (6 frames)
              Feb 6th 7.30pm(GMT+8) Ding V Hendry
              (6 frames)
              Feb 7th 2.30pm(GMT+8) Ding V Hendry
              (6 frames)
              Feb 7th 7.30pm(GMT+8) Ding V Hendry
              (7 frames)

fixtures for this exhibition....
              though nothing happens!

Comment

DingVHendry.com

This site is fully up and running.... you can watch interviews and ther will be a live stream @ countdown...

When the match is live just refresh and hit watch live stream...

I did it today because my friend works for TV company in China and I caught the end of the second game... pretty cool quality...

@SnookerWinner is tweeting about it....

Comment

Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
                  This site is fully up and running.... you can watch interviews and ther will be a live stream @ countdown...

When the match is live just refresh and hit watch live stream...

I did it today because my friend works for TV company in China and I caught the end of the second game... pretty cool quality...

@SnookerWinner is tweeting about it....
                  i clicked watch live stream and sod all happening

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                    Feb 5th 2.30pm(GMT+8) China 1 V China 2
                    Could that be 2.30 pm + 8 = 10.30 pm, so in some 3 hours from now?
                    Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Originally Posted by ore View Post
                      Could that be 2.30 pm + 8 = 10.30 pm, so in some 3 hours from now?
                      no thats 6.30am tommorow morning

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                        no thats 6.30am tommorow morning
                        Alright so it's -8 hours then ... And anyways Ding v Hendry is only 3rd match in that list.

Anyone wants to predict the result?
                        Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Originally Posted by zombieman View Post
                          What's the venue for this match? Site doesn't say and neither does Dave.
                          The venue is the arena of the Olympic gymnastics in Beijing.
                          Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
                          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

well i am on the site now and far from ding v hendry it is a stream of a women's football match! what a farce , hopefully hendry on after this

Comment

Live Streams for this...

Hi Everyone... My friend works with this event and has told me that the forst game today goes live an hour later around the world cause of some football match... it's on in 27 minutes, then @ 1130AM for second game...

Tomorrow it's 0730 and 1130 (perfect hangover cure).

PSSST: I heard Ding won first frame...

Comment

Working...
                              X