Ssb - davis returns to the crucible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - davis returns to the crucible

Steve Davis will make his 30th appearance at the Crucible Theatre next month after producing a highly determined performance to beat Adrian Gunnell 10-4 in the final qualifying round of the Betfred.com World Championship in Sheffield tonight.

The 52 year-old, who won the last of his six world titles in 1989, cued very nicely and retained a positive frame of mind to enhance his chances of remaining in the top 32 for another season.

And Davis admitted he is thinking of history as he prepares to play at the Crucible in a fifth decade.

He believes by defying the years he may set a record that even his great friend and rival Stephen Hendry will find hard to beat.

“There was a time in the 1980s when I thought I was unbeatable, a bit like Phil Taylor probably feels now in darts,” Davis said.

“I thought, nobody will ever come along and beat my standard. And then I quickly had that thought rammed down my throat by a young man from Scotland and plenty of others after that.

“From then on, you look at your career differently. It’s not been a case of clinging on but it has been tough against good opposition.

“So to still be doing it – wow. I’m chuffed that I can still compete at any level because in a way you’re not supposed to. To be at the Crucible in your 50s is hard to do.

“I was trying to think of my objective after I stayed in the top 16 at the age of 50. My long term ambition now is that Stephen Hendry doesn’t beat my record of playing at the Crucible. To beat me, he’ll have to play there at 53.

“He’s won more tournaments than anyone else and is the best player who ever lived but I’ve still got one record that he’ll find it hard to beat and I’ve just put another year on it.”

More...

Davis returns to the crucible and returns to form!
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

The guy really is amazing . To play the game at the level he does after so many years is incredible . Cant ever see nobody doing this again . I,ve never seen anybody who has such a love for the game as him , to be able to do so .

Pheraps not the best player ever , but a toss up between him and Hendry for the greatest .

Comment

Some going...thought he might duck out this year but hell no, he has other ideas..I think he still has game after all this time and you have to hand it to him. He is like father time that fella.
        I have never really been a fan because I always liked A Higgins, White and that type of game but he has adapted his game to handle the modern game and is still hanging in there and playing some good stuff on occasion, so fair play, gotta respect him for that.

I have now actually learned more myself down the years about snooker and now actually enjoy watching the type of game he has just as much as the out and out pot feast that many of the new breed have.
        :snooker:

He is still in the top 32 after all this time and has an all around match game that is hard to beat even if he does not practice like he used to. In my book that makes him one of the greatest players that ever lived/if not the greatest.

Comment

Only another 22 years at the crucible to go to beat my all time hero Fred Davis's record. Don't forget that was a semi-final appearance too, so, Steve, I suggest you put your microphone down and get back to your practice routines again, as I for one think you are still capable of winning the worlds, even if many others don't. An ever so slightly old dog can not only learn new tricks but also remind the puppies why quality never goes out of fashion. Good luck to Steve, on behalf of a generation who grew up with him as there hero. Don't let us oldies down!!!

Comment

Very, very strong from The Legend !
            I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Good luck to him! The crucible is not the same without him Big cheers to Steve!
              The key is the mental approach!

Comment

I hope he can keep a bit a form for the first round.
                Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

I'm really interested will Stephen Hendry be at crucible at 52
                  2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                  2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

I wish Davis all the Best as it is some Record.

Althou I gotta be Honest he is Very Slow and Boring to Watch these days and been Told alot of the Games he Bores them.....lol....But he is Still Winning so what ever he does will help him stay in the Top 32/64.

Gaz.

Comment

Originally Posted by gazza147 View Post
                      I wish Davis all the Best as it is some Record.

Althou I gotta be Honest he is Very Slow and Boring to Watch these days and been Told alot of the Games he Bores them.....lol....But he is Still Winning so what ever he does will help him stay in the Top 32/64.

Gaz.
                      He,s not my favourite player eithe Gaz , I prefer the free flowing / unortodox type , but yes you,ve got to give credit where it,s due . The guy really is a legend

Comment

Working...
                      X