Ssb - matters arising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - matters arising

The Snooker Players Association made a number of recommendations to the WPBSA at a meeting held in Sheffield last week.

The SPA is now headed by Patsy Fagan, the inaugural UK champion, who seems to me to be motivated by the right reasons.

Fagan was a player for many years and now coaches. He doesn’t have to spend his time involved with SPA business.

Among the points put to WPBSA chairman Jason Ferguson was that a number of players would prefer the PTCs to be more spread out through the season and for some of them to be played during the week rather than at weekends.

The tournament calendar is largely determined by TV but the WPBSA gave an undertaking to space the events out more next season.

The SPA reported that most players approved of the new ranking system but that a number would prefer more events where the top 16 were not seeded through to the last 32.

Again, this is largely down to TV. If a broadcaster begins its coverage in the last 32, they want the top names guaranteed to be in that round rather than having to pre-qualify.

The SPA put forward a proposal to ban player managers from sitting on the WPBSA board, saying “managers have an obligation to act in the best interests possible for their players at all times. Should a player manager be appointed onto the board of the WPBSA, decisions that he makes could be beneficial to his players which could in turn be detrimental to other players.”

The problem with this is that in snooker there is no proper licensing of managers. I could hook onto a player and call myself his manager, so defining who exactly is a manager and whether that would then disqualify them from holding a board position is not straightforward.

There are two management groups in snooker with a large stable of players – 110sport and On Q Promotions – but no actual evidence that their clients vote en bloc.

However, 110sport’s Lee Doyle is among those standing for election at December’s WPBSA AGM and it is not unreasonable to assume he will ask his clients for support.

The SPA also wants full voting rights extended from the top 64 in the rankings to all 96 players.

I’m all for the SPA as a voice for players but the tail must not wag the dog. Snooker, like any sport, depends on its biggest names to attract broadcasters, sponsors and audiences.

The lower rankers ganging up on the top players and attempting to artificially ‘level’ the playing field would be against the game’s wider interests.

The playing field is level enough as it is. Every player currently in the top 16 started at the bottom. They are at the top now because they are the best players.

Interestingly, with regards to the recently aborted EGM the SPA said: “We were informed by certain players, who had put their names to these resolutions, that they were not fully aware of what they were signing and agreeing to.”

This would appear to provide further evidence that players should stay out of politics if they did not even properly read what they were signing.

It does not seem to have been discussed but the first thing I would change is the rule that you only need 10% of the voting membership to call an EGM. This amounts to around seven players.

If you made it 33% (roughly 23 players) it would mean that EGMs were only called on issues where there was a genuine strong feeling among players, giving them some actual legitimacy.

More...

some interesting points
    There is, I believe, a time limit for playing a shot. But I think it's true to say that nobody knows what that limit is

Ted Lowe

Comment

I spoke with Les Barton earlier this week and it is interesting that two point The SPA have made to The WPBSA Board were also issues that I have bought up with WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson in my meeting with him a few weeks ago at WPBSA head office in Bristol.

My two points were;

1. A conformed calendar is needed ASAP, look at the clash of the power snooker event and the EPTC now scheduled in Gloucester. Are the players entering both events going to loose on purpose in Gloucester so they can make the Power Snooker event with a guaranteed wage on the 30th or will the draw be fixed so they can make the power snooker event?

Loosing on purpose is a serious matter but fixing a random draw is even worse, the entrys for this event and the draw is not available yet so we will have to wait to see what happens but from what I have been told atleast 3 of the power snooker players have entered the EPTC also.

2. Player managers should have to sign a contract with The WPBSA to be able to manage a player, the contract should contain rules and regulations for sponsorship, payments and a code of conduct. This will protect players and the managers.

Players have had problems in the past with managers not paying them sponsorship fees and managers have had problems in the past with players not paying the managers their percentage from prize money.

I would suggest that if a player is having problems with his/her manager or vice versa then The SPA would step in and manage the player for a period of upto three months while the problems are sorted out.

Surprisingly enough with the current rules and regs a player is responsible for their managers conduct, most managers work like the players are working for them when in fact it is the other way round the managers work for the players.

It is a interesting point about holding the PTC's during the week, I have been saying for the last few months the pro-am's should be held during the week and not the weekend for many reasons, clubs need extra business during the week and not the weekend, pros and basically twiddling their thumbs during the week and you can pretty much schedule a weekday pro-am at any point during the season if there is not a ranking event being help but how many weekends can you book one in for? not that many.
      Last edited by ferret; 20 October 2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Regarding PTC.

SPA Should be pushing for more coverage for their members ie Streaming etc therefore its a bit disturbing that they are accepting PTC are played behind Closed doors and wanting some played during the week.

If the PTC has ambition to grow in to a bigger events and get some better fan interaction Playing PTC Finals on a Wednesday is not the Answer.

For Maximum Coverage of the PTC it has to be on the Weekend they play the Finals at Least.

Comment

This Season i accepted there would be no TV/Streaming of the 12 Events it was first season and Rome was not Built in a day it takes time.

However im shocked and slightly angry that SPA Concerns was getting some played during the week and not that Streaming would be happening.

we are missing out on a lot of snooker at the moment.

i think the PTC Should be Spread more through the season and played on 2 weekends Especially in Britain.

Qualifying Day on Sunday
          Last 128 through to 32 on Monday and Tuesday.
          Last 16 to the end on Saturday

with PL Played on Thursday.

id Scrap the Championship League as it is at the Moment it seems pointless playing so many matches to find 1 player and Just use the PTC Table the Highest Placed Player that does not get a Wild Card gets the PL Spot.

then if the Championship League is Scraped they Could Play More PTC Events increase it up to 14 and play some start of the year.

Comment

Working...
          X