Ssb - mark allen battles depression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - mark allen battles depression

Mark Allen has revealed he is battling depression.

The world no.11 is receiving professional help in a bid to combat the condition, which he believes has in part developed because of the nature of life on the circuit.

"We all live out of suitcases and, for me, it's just come to a head," Allen told the Irish Mirror.

"I suppose, if I look back on certain things in my career, this has been coming for a long time. But more recently I've really felt more down than I ever have.

"Some days I wake up and I just can't be bothered, I don't have the motivation to do anything.

"It does get very lonely when you're looking at the four walls of a hotel room for most of the year.

"I've been a professional for a few years now and all I've done since then is play snooker, I've known nothing else.

"If I knew what the problem was then I would have sorted it, but I've been seeing a counsellor to see what the problem is.

"It helps to talk about how I'm feeling because when you're on the road, or at a tournament, you don't really have the chance to tell anyone how you're feeling.

"I'd say I get on with 99 per cent of the other players, but to be honest everyone has their own routines and being a snooker player is a very lonely life."

More particularly, snooker is an individual sport. Yes, the players have people in their corner but no team-mates to share the load.

Snooker is also intense. It moves slowly and although it doesn't take huge physical effort, it requires immense mental energy.

Ronnie O'Sullivan, most famously, has suffered from depression for many years. More recently Graeme Dott has also received treatment for this much misunderstood condition.

I listened last week to Geoffrey Boycott, the former England cricketer, giving his ill informed views about a player who had been diagnosed with depression. It was clear some people still think it's a case of 'just cheer up.'

That's a bit like telling someone with a broken leg to go and run a marathon.

I'm not that surprised by Allen's revelation. Down at the Championship League he was very subdued and spent most of his time while not playing staring at films on his laptop but seemingly not really watching them.

I understand he simply couldn't get on the plane to play in the Hainan Classic.

It's a sad situation for such a talented young man to find himself in. I hope he can get through it and rediscover his joy not just for snooker but for life itself.

More...

its a demon i know only too well. get well soon Mark.
    Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Yes, I remember reading his facebook post to say he was at the airport and then two hours later he was back at home because he couldn't face it.

I think he has had a few things build up on him recently and hope he feels brighter soon.

Comment

He needs a girlfriend!!!
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

I sincerely wish him luck in trying to find the key to overcome it and find happiness . Mark seems a rael likeable guy .

I know what he,s going through .

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
            He needs a girlfriend!!!
            that is just a stupid comment - this is a serious illness.

I too have suffered for many years. My thoughts and support go out to Mark and his family at this really difficult time.

Get well soon Marky boy and remember you have the love and support of all your family and friends.
            Janie Watkins
            On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
            All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

I know exactly how bad he must be feeling right now. Very sad to be happening to a young guy who is supposed to be living the best time of his life.
              The only thing im glad is that he's not hiding it and is being open about it, because hiding it and pretending to be ok eat's up a lot of energy from the healing process. And i know this from personal experience.

All the best to him and hope he gets well soon.
              "It's just a shot away" -Rolling Stones-

Comment

the Thing is this as developed through life on the Circuit and Living out of a suitcase i do not know what can help Mark then because thats not going to change he will still Live out of a suitcase.

Some people just aint cut out for that life.

Comment

He probably could do with some company all the time. An assistant to help out etc. It might make a difference.

Anyway, great credit for openly admitting this. That's one big step overcome already. That takes some guts.

Comment

The thing with depression, as I know only too well unfortunately, is when you suffer and you are on your own, you feel like you need company and it makes you worse. When that company arrives, you feel like you want to be alone. You are never 100% comfortable with yourself at any point and as a result you just keep spiralling down.

The only way to break the spiral is to admit it and to get some help.

Good luck Mark

Comment

Well done Mark for being open about this. It is a horrible condition and when successful sportspeople talk about it it helps to show that it can affect anyone.

The good news is that with good support it is 100% possible to recover, as I know well.
                      Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Sad news. Glad he has decided to come out with it and has sought professional help. I wish him all the best.
                        Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Not an easy condition to come to terms with, but Mark has, which is good. Look forward to seeing him perform at Sheffield. Great player to watch.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                            Not an easy condition to come to terms with, but Mark has, which is good. Look forward to seeing him perform at Sheffield. Great player to watch.
                            depression is not that easy to get over it might take months it might take years he even might have to quit snooker for his health.

who knows.

Comment

Sad news for Mark Allen, maybe that´s a part of the explanation why he hasn´t lived up to the high expectations yet.
                              ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                              "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                              X