Ssb - ronnie o'sullivan wins ptc1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Didnt think it was off tbf,other sessions of note the first v O'S in the UK 09 sf,run of the ball or not you can hardly play better tbf.
    I think Higgins played pretty well in that session, but it was O'Sullivan's mistakes that made it so one sided. I had a quick look through the old thread where the match was discussed, just to make sure there is nothing wrong with my memory, and here is what I said immediately after the session:

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
    Yes, O'Sullivan had only himself to blame at 1-6 down. Higgins only won one frame in one visit. He gave O'Sullivan a chance in every other frame, and quite a good chance usually. But in the end, O'Sullivan can be happy it's 6-2 and not 7-1.

Comeback? If O'Sullivan plays his best, it's entirely possible against a solid but not brilliant Higgins. But let's be honest, if Higgins raises his game a little, he's not going to lose from 6-2 up.
    I don't think that particular session is anywhere near the best Higgins has played, but I do agree he's had sessions pretty close to perfect snooker.

Having said that, there is no such thing as "unplayable". If your opponent plays one-visit snooker, you have every chance of doing the same, since there is nothing he can do from his chair. And when he gets you in trouble with a good safety, you just have to play a good shot in reply. The 2006 Masters final is a great example of a match like that. Both players played snooker that could have been described as unplayable, except that it wasn't, because they were both up for it. The 2009 WC quarter-final between Higgins and Selby is another example.

I suppose what would be almost unplayable is someone going for low-percentage long pots, getting most of them, and winning frames in one visit. But that's never really been the type of snooker either O'Sullivan or Higgins have played.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      Having said that, there is no such thing as "unplayable"..
      Yep personally I've never took any notice of that saying either. I taped the Higgins O'S 98 sf but it was pre digital so I only got the first 4 frames and missed Higgins going 12-4,would have been interesting at least

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
        "when on form he is unplayable" - very subjective term which doesn't really mean anything and could be said for many players.

They are very very close to each other. Always have been. This is how I see them.

Ronnie's edge over John:
        - break building (John very close)
        - cue ball control (again John very close)
        - developing reds, breaking clusters (nobody touches him here)
        - a bit smoother cue action; seems like his arm never gets stiff, never ever snatches even under pressure and adrenaline rush and gets unbelievable action on the cueball with such little effort at all times
        - his left hand isn't as good as right, but can reduce usage of rest

John's edge over Ronnie:
        - mental department, fighting qualities (coming from behind etc), sits out centuries without any problem
        - long pots
        - safeties, laying snookers
        - rest play (Ronnie's good with it too)
        - escaping from snookers (extremely important part of the game)
        - doubles (overlooked part of the game)

What do you think? Have I missed something?
        that's a great summary!
        Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wq9LCbSxM4

this is an example of the 99 beating the 95-97

ronnie was untouchable like this.
          Highest Match Break 39 (November 10th 2015)

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
            "when on form he is unplayable" - very subjective term which doesn't really mean anything and could be said for many players.

They are very very close to each other. Always have been. This is how I see them.

Ronnie's edge over John:
            - break building (John very close)
            - cue ball control (again John very close)
            - developing reds, breaking clusters (nobody touches him here)
            - a bit smoother cue action; seems like his arm never gets stiff, never ever snatches even under pressure and adrenaline rush and gets unbelievable action on the cueball with such little effort at all times
            - his left hand isn't as good as right, but can reduce usage of rest

John's edge over Ronnie:
            - mental department, fighting qualities (coming from behind etc), sits out centuries without any problem
            - long pots
            - safeties, laying snookers
            - rest play (Ronnie's good with it too)
            - escaping from snookers (extremely important part of the game)
            - doubles (overlooked part of the game)

What do you think? Have I missed something?
            to be fair ive seen ronnie escape from some damn good snookers and he can lay some crackers also, so nearly matched there i think.

Comment

Working...
            X