Ssb - i don't want to hold your hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - i don't want to hold your hand

It has been reported by another referee that Rory McLeod refused to shake hands with the referee at the end of his match in the Australian Open qualifiers today.

The speculation is that this is because Ivy Zhu is a woman and McLeod is a Muslim and that it would have somehow compromised his religious beliefs.

I wasn't there and know nothing more about this incident than has been reported on Twitter.

Also, I have no intention in straying into the murky waters of religion. I am pretty tolerant of most beliefs, no matter how barmy they may seem to others. After all, in the Britpop era I believed Shed Seven were a better band than Blur or Oasis.

But if this story is true - and it seems a strange thing for another referee to make up - then it is troubling.

Refereeing snooker matches is not a glamorous job. They certainly aren't paid fortunes and spend long periods away from home.

This woman has come all the way from China to pursue her ambition to referee regularly on the circuit and she surely deserves to be treated with the appropriate respect.

Michaela Tabb has become established as a favourite with players and fans. The fact she is a woman has long since become an irrelevance: the point is she is good at her job.

If a referee is deemed worthy of picking balls out of a pocket and passing a player the rest then they are equally deserving of a courteous handshake at the end of the match.

More...
Working...
X