Ssb - maguire v ebdon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - maguire v ebdon

Well done if you predicted today's China Open final line-up before a ball was struck in Beijing. Stephen Maguire v Peter Ebdon was, I suspect, not a widely tipped finale but both these players are proven winners, not least of this tournament.

The 2008 China Open gave Maguire the last of his four major ranking titles. I'm sure he feels four years has been too long to wait for a fifth, although it's not like there's been a tournament every week in this time.

Maguire has remained consistent for the last four years and come within touching distance of titles - as in Wales last year and Germany this season - without quite winning one.

Ebdon won his eighth world ranking title at the 2009 China Open. Then, as now, he was badly out of form going into the tournament but found some inspiration.

It makes a difference when you've done it before. It means you know it is in you somewhere.

Ebdon digs deeper than most and his stamina is remarkable given the way he plays.

Snooker would be boring if every player had the same style or same personality. It is the variety, the richness, the multitude of personalities which keeps it fascinating.

What we've seen this season is that the game doesn't rest on two or three players to keep it interesting. With more tournaments, more players have a chance to shine and are taking it.

If Ebdon wins today he will set a new record for the longest gap between first and most recent world ranking titles.

Maguire, I feel, will need to get going early on and score as heavily as he did against Stephen Lee yesterday. In other words, keep his more methodical opponent away from the table and not let him dictate the style and pace of the final.

More...
Working...
X