Ssb - end of an era

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - end of an era

One of Britain’s best known snooker clubs, Willie Thorne’s in Leicester, closed yesterday after 32 years.

The reason given is that the council need the building for office space. A council spokesman told the Leicester Mercury: "The lease for the snooker hall was sold by Willie Thorne some years ago and the current operators have never signed a lease.

"We gave them notice we would be ending their tenancy and they have accepted this. We own the building and already have some offices there. We are looking at the options for using the rest of it for office accommodation but no plans have yet been drawn up."

The current operators are Rileys, who own a number of snooker clubs in the UK.

Regardless of the reasons, the closure of WT’s is symbolic of the downturn in interest in the game in the UK.

People often talk of the extraordinary viewing figures snooker achieved on British TV in the 1980s but participation levels were also huge. Children all around the country were getting small snooker tables as Christmas presents, including a 12 year-old Stephen Hendry. It was a game that could not be ignored. But times change.

WT’s was an iconic club because it was widely used for tournaments, particularly for juniors.

Most professionals of the last 30 years passed through its doors dreaming of one day emulating their heroes in the professional ranks.

This was long before players complained snooker was getting in the way of their social life: this was their social life. It was Saturday mornings on the motorway, obliging parents shipping young hopefuls to junior events.

It was a generation of boys whose enthusiasm for snooker knew no bounds.

It was here that friendships and rivalries formed which still stand to this day. It was here that young talent was nurtured, most particularly by Malcolm Thorne, Willie’s brother, an unsung hero in the development of many careers.

Mark Selby was one of them. He said: “It’s a sad day because I wouldn't be where I was without Willie Thorne's. I played there from the age of 11 to 16 and Willie's brother, Malcolm, let me practice for free and he sponsored me in my first competitions. I have a lot of great memories of the club.”

The snooker boom of the 1980s on British television led to an explosion in clubs but in recent years many have closed.

This is because of a number of reasons. Honeymoons don’t last forever. Snooker was the in thing for many years but fashions change.

The smoking ban hit the sport hard. Snooker clubs are not just about snooker but are social hubs. Many enjoyed going in for a chat and a smoke and a drink and, maybe, a few frames as well.

But the game has also gradually disappeared from mainstream TV.

When I was a kid in the 1980s there were as many as nine tournaments on terrestrial television. Now there are three, and they do not receive the terrestrial hours they used to.

Just yesterday the BBC announced it was reducing its red button output to only one channel from later this month. This means for its snooker tournaments the most it can show is one table and, at times, there won’t even be that.

All of the above has a knock-on effect. Wales has always been a stronghold for the sport but just recently the snooker hall at Pontardawe Arts Centre was threatened with closure.

Why? Because its takings from five tables had fallen from £24,000 to just £2,000. The number of people using the tables has fallen from 18,600 to 1,600.

Snooker is no longer a game large numbers of British kids want to play.

Some still do, obviously. But junior events simply do not attract the same numbers they once did.

Readers from elsewhere in the world may well say, ‘so what?’ The Brits have had it too good for too long. The qualifying set-up is still based in the UK and the circuit has long been biased towards British players.

This is true but it is because of the demand in Britain for snooker. As that demand declines, what of the future?

More...

Here in Australia the number of snooker tables available in clubs (mainly in Returned Services Clubs RSLs) has greatly decreased often as a result of the space being 'needed' for poker machines which generate more money per square of space. It is also impossible to see snooker on free TV (and not much on pay TV - perhaps an hour or two of highlights a week). The news coverage of Neil Robertson is almost nil (even when he won the World Championship).

This is a great shame as I was one of those boys that grew up loving snooker.

Any ideas on how to get snooker back on the map?

Just my 5 cents worth.

Thanks for listening!

: )
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Ah, another memory bites the dust I guess. When I lived in Leicester I was in the club quite frequently and in those days, outside of Willie, the leading player was Stefan Masczrosis (SP?). Infrequently I got the chance to play on Willie's match table at the front of the house which was always in perfect shape although I was living and based in Glenfield and was sponsored by the Top Spot club there.

The tables in Willie's place (actually managed by his Mom and Malcolm) were always busy, any time of the day even though parking was always a problem in the downtown area.

Makes me sad to see it go

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Ssb - end of an era

That's put the blocks on our PSV (bus drivers) finals venue for February!!!!!! We were due there next feb for 4 days snooker, competing in the national finals. Our secretary is aware and currently trying to source another venue!!!!
        You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
          Here in Australia the number of snooker tables available in clubs (mainly in Returned Services Clubs RSLs) has greatly decreased often as a result of the space being 'needed' for poker machines which generate more money per square of space. It is also impossible to see snooker on free TV (and not much on pay TV - perhaps an hour or two of highlights a week). The news coverage of Neil Robertson is almost nil (even when he won the World Championship).

This is a great shame as I was one of those boys that grew up loving snooker.

Any ideas on how to get snooker back on the map?

Just my 5 cents worth.

Thanks for listening!

: )
          ...and we were led to believe that tv/media coverage of snooker is A-ok and there is nothing to be alarmed about at all - also, that snooker is flourishing around the world under current rules and format. haha - dinos never see the meteor until it hits them square on the head and makes them extinct.

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
            ...and we were led to believe that tv/media coverage of snooker is A-ok and there is nothing to be alarmed about at all - also, that snooker is flourishing around the world under current rules and format. haha - dinos never see the meteor until it hits them square on the head and makes them extinct.
            Yup. Snooker in the UK is dying..

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
              It must really hurt, doesn't it? Do you get to sleep at night? Don't worry, it'll all be A-ok!

Comment

Sad news indeed. Was only there about 2 months back playing in a pro-am run by the mother of Ben Woolaston who had been put in charge of the club I think in an effort to generate interest and trying to run tournaments there again. Played on Willie's match table which was at the time being used by Joe Jogia, another victim of the club albeit for other reasons.

I've played there numerous times and also have fond memories, good venue with plenty of tables and spacious which you can't say about the majority of clubs. But space costs money in the UK and its no wonder they couldn't afford to sign a new lease but Rileys has history there as I know full well, my club, which is now privately owned, they didn't pay rent for either, the owner allowed them free use of the building before calling time on them.

I hate the thought of what the future of snooker is in the UK. I actually think it won't be long before the sport is dead here. So many clubs shutting, and if one of the biggest and well known clubs has gone, what chance the smaller clubs surviving.

Comment

The demise of Willie Thornes probably further enhanced by the tragic passing of the doyen of juniour tournament promotion and the huge enthusiasm of Malcolm is just another indication of the downturn in our game over the years. An example of this on the south coast is that since I retired from my fulltime occupation of over thirty years( which at its peak in the mid 90's ran no less than 12 coaching schools throughout the year ( yes summer as well) dealing with in excess of 200 youngsters every week and with a fully sponsored tournament series played monthly through the year with 96 players per month ) and we up till 2006 still had nearly 350 individual table tables under maintenance I now doubt if there are more than about 60 left in the area. Junior coaching has died primarily because the sites prepared to host properly and legally organised sessions have gone out of existence. Billiards and snooker and the grass roote enthusiast will never die but I dont see expansion as much of a proposition which is a great shame.
                  In fairness the best club in this area www.the castle snooker club.com is building a fine reputaion and increasing interest, which is encouraging.

Comment

I've been a member at Willies since it opened and today I have just been in there for the last time, with all the tables gone and the main room completely empty.
                    Here are some of my memories.......

-Everards Open- the worlds biggest Pro-am with Ebdon, Hamilton ruling the roost , wins for Hallet, Foulds
                    -Sunday handicaps with players travelling from around the country, Malc's book which contains the handicaps of 100s players
                    - Brian Cakebread- a true gent who coached at the club for years, spending his time between the bookies and the club
                    -local players. Stevan Mazarocis, Eddie Manning, Joe O'Boye, Joe Jogia, Darren Clarke, Tom Ford, Mark Selby, Ben Woolaston and many more
                    - Overseas players based there for short periods - John Campbell, Neil Robertson
                    - massive games of cards Kaluki with the money piled high
                    - local footballers who loved to play snooker, Gary McAllister, Julian Joachim and Gary Lineker
                    -Jane, Mary and Nancy's fantastic roast dinners and homemade cooking
                    -long standing regulars Wreef Berry, little Martin, Alan Perkins and many more
                    - national junior tournaments where the likes of Selby, Murphy, Walden learnt their trade

Thanks to everyone who has ever worked there, the Thorne family and most especially Malc who was the Heart and soul of the club.

Comment

HELLO EVERYONE! SIGN THE PETITION BELOW TO SAVE WILLIE THORNE`S SNOOKER CLUB! everyone's support is so very much appreciated!

Olivia Thorne (Malcs daughter)

http://www.change.org/petitions/save...malcolm-thorne

Comment

Working...
                      X