Ssb - pole position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - pole position

Hala Sportowo-Widowiskowa is the roll-off-the-tongue venue for the Gdynia Open, event two of the Betfair European Tour which, to complicate matters further, is also part of the Players Tour Championship.

The idea for the European Tour is to build up a series of events across Europe into big tournaments.

Those who snipe at Eurosport would do well to realise that there would be no European Tour without the channel. There would be no German Masters either.

When television viewers see snooker, large numbers want to watch it. They become fans.

What’s refreshing in Europe is that they have only started watching snooker in the last few years and so are fans of the game as it is now rather than endlessly harking back to the ‘golden days’ where the sun always shone, you could leave your front door open and Tony Meo was always on the TV.

The Gdynia Open has already been played down to 32 players and it’s a good mix of big names, a few old stagers and some newer faces.

On paper, the match of the first round pits John Higgins, fresh from his remarkable Shanghai Masters triumph, against Ding Junhui, who in Poland will not have the forbidding pressure of home expectation.

Higgins and Ding are among a number of big hitters making the trip to Poland. Other favourites for the title include Mark Selby, who won ET1, Stephen Maguire, Neil Robertson, Stuart Bingham and Graeme Dott.

It’s also a chance for some of those lower down the rankings to show us what they can do.

Michael Wasley is a first season professional from Gloucester who will face Maguire live on television in the last 32.

This is what it’s all been about for players such as Wasley: all the hours of practice, all the preparation.

Players feel like proper professionals when they play on TV. It’s a shop window in which they can showcase their considerable skills.

Michael will I’m sure receive the usual advice: enjoy the experience, you have nothing to lose.

In fact, he has a match to lose, and nobody enjoys the experience of losing. But it’s a learning curve for him either way. If he wins it’s a career high, if he loses he can examine what went wrong later on video (do people still watch videos?).

Good luck to him and all the rest. For Polish snooker fans this is a once-a-year chance to see professional snooker up close.

Tomorrow’s live TV matches are:
    Andy Hicks v Liang Wenbo
    Stephen Maguire v Michael Wasley
    Jimmy White v Dave Harold
    Mark Selby v Fergal O’Brien
    Neil Robertson v Jamie Jones

More...

Originally Posted by ferret View Post

The idea for the European Tour is to build up a series of events across Europe into big tournaments.

Those who snipe at Eurosport would do well to realise that there would be no European Tour without the channel. There would be no German Masters either.

When television viewers see snooker, large numbers want to watch it. They become fans.
    Well, well, well. How about that. Eurosport has done a favor to snooker! You wouldn't believe it when you read some posts here.

Comment

When (British) Eurosport show a whole week's worth of a tournament LIVE, from last 32 to the semis but then does not show the final LIVE, I think a little snipe is warranted.
      Yes we do appreciate Eurosport (well, I do ) as it is probably the last mainstream bastion for snooker but they could do a little bit better - just not to p*** of the snooker-fans with no other avenue to watch and listen to commentary (sometimes ).
      Looking forward to watching the Polish tournament, it was very good last year.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        When (British) Eurosport show a whole week's worth of a tournament LIVE, from last 32 to the semis but then does not show the final LIVE, I think a little snipe is warranted.
        Yes we do appreciate Eurosport (well, I do ) as it is probably the last mainstream bastion for snooker but they could do a little bit better - just not to p*** of the snooker-fans with no other avenue to watch and listen to commentary (sometimes ).
        Looking forward to watching the Polish tournament, it was very good last year.
        Yes, it is unfortunate that it happens at times. I'm not liking it either.

But there has been a bit of perverting things going on here on this subject lately. Nothing to do with you, though.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
          Nothing to do with you, though.
          Nope, nothing to do with me
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Eurosport player shows all the matches...... but I think that costs about £2.99 a month to subscribe to!!
            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Working...
            X