Ssb - china's new wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - china's new wave

Pankaj Advani's decision to withdraw from the International Championship and play in the World Professional Billiards Championship paid dividends when he won the three ball world title in Leeds at the weekend.

It gave the wildcard, Zhou Yuelong, a walkover to play Ding Junhui later today.

Zhou is just 14. He is of course very much an outsider but is looking to join another 14 year-old, Lu Haotian, in the last 16.

Yesterday Zhao Xintong, 15, gave Matthew Stevens a real scare, taking on everything and getting quite a lot before Stevens finally beat him 6-5.

It stands to reason that China will produce another world class player in the mould of Ding - surely more than one - but it could be that it won't be any of the players currently on tour but one of these talented teenagers.

There are many junior tournaments in China and they are also getting their chance now against top players in these raking tournaments. Many may feel the wildcard round is unfair but this isn't the fault of the wildcards and they can't be blamed for making the most of their opportunities.

I remember Ding himself playing as a 14 year-old in the 2002 China Open in Shanghai, where he took two frames off Mark Selby.

Many talented teenagers have disappeared into the snooker ether over the years but there seems to be more a structure in China to keep them on track.

It's clear many of them have watched Judd Trump, who also plays later today, and want to emulate his all out attacking style.

You have to be really, really good to do this successfully but it's inconceivable that in a country the size of China with so many snooker clubs and so much TV exposure that someone won't emerge and become a major star.

On a general point about the tournament, the increase to best of 11s seems to have reminded everyone just what an important event this is.

It's been well supported and has already produced some good matches, with a couple of shocks for good measure.

Sport is at its best when there's something at stake. There is in Chengdu and that's why it promises to be such an interesting week.

More...

liang wenbo has been in the top 16 which surely makes him world class i personally think the best two lower down the list are cao and xiao both future top 16 in my book
    Last edited by LittleMissAlexa; 30 October 2012, 12:21 PM.
    Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
      liang wenbo has been in the top 16 which surely makes him world class i personally think the best two lower down the list are cao and xiangboth future top 16 in my book
      Sorry who is Xiang? and what happened to Li Yan after making the last 32 at last years UK? cheers

Comment

error edited i feel so bad about that and li kept his place through the ptcs
        Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Lol no worries :-)

Comment

Working...
          X