Ssb - judd trump: World no.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - judd trump: World no.1

Judd Trump, by beating Peter Ebdon 9-1 in the semi-finals of the International Championship in Chengdu today, has become snooker’s new world no.1, only the tenth player to hold this position since the world rankings were introduced in 1976.

He is in good company, joining Ray Reardon, Cliff Thorburn, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, John Higgins, Mark Williams, Ronnie O’Sullivan, Neil Robertson and Mark Selby.

The ranking system has changed various times in the last 36 years. The latest incarnation before the present one was a two year list which strictly became official at the end of each season. The current system sees the list change after each event.

Even so, this is a great achievement of which 23 year-old Trump should be rightly proud. I think most players would prefer being world champion to world no.1 because it is the pinnacle of the sport and a very public triumph. However, you don’t have to choose. You can be both.

How long will Trump remain at the top? The current system keeps everyone on their toes and he is less than 1,000 points ahead of Selby at the moment, although that margin will increase if he beats Shaun Murphy or Neil Robertson in Sunday’s final.

Trump has had a magnificent couple of years. His great run began when he won the 2011 China Open and immediately reached the world final. Last season he added the UK Championship to his roll of honour.

He had been a breath of fresh air for the game, with his audacious shot-making and all out attacking style.

It doesn’t always pay dividends of course, but that is all part of the excitement. One of the things I really like about Trump is that he understands televised sport is also supposed to be entertainment, and like Jimmy White before him he will play exhibition shots to entertain the crowd when the frame is well won.

He was probably the first player to realise that Twitter was a way of building a profile.

Of course, if you dredge the swamp of nitwittery for long enough you will hear all manner of derogatory comments, along the lines that Trump is actually just lucky, not as good as people say and wins because he whacks the balls so hard.

Blah, blah, blah. Successful people attract jealousy from unsuccessful people. Trump can take it as a compliment that there has been sniping. There will be more: as world no.1 he is there to be shot at.

It was ever thus. Steve Davis is now universally lauded as a legend but 30 years ago large sections of the crowd couldn’t wait for him to lose. Many people find excellence difficult to relate to.

We take our greats for granted. Trump will join the greats if he becomes world champion.

He has the confidence and the game to do this. For the moment, he is out in front, a Bristol boy made good, on top of the world.

More...

Fantastic!
    CEP

Comment

Well done Judd

Comment

About time really. Let's see how long he can keep it! :snooker:
        "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

A deserved no.1. Hasn't played the system like Selby has to get there either. I predicted years ago he'd go on and be the best ever and I still stand by that. Never seen a better potter in my time watching snooker. Frightening thing is he's only 23 and really yet to come into his peak. God knows how good he could be!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
            A deserved no.1. Hasn't played the system like Selby has to get there either. I predicted years ago he'd go on and be the best ever and I still stand by that. Never seen a better potter in my time watching snooker. Frightening thing is he's only 23 and really yet to come into his peak. God knows how good he could be!
            So what he has to do to be the best ever? Of course he deserves to be nro 1, just as much as Selby did. They did it within the same system and under the same rules. The system defines who is "worth it". God knows why the questions were raised in Selby's case.

Congratulations to J. Trump!

Let me get my popcorn now!

Comment

Actually Judd farms ranking points from best of seven frame PTC shootouts more than Selby but then both of their records in major ranking events is probably the poorest of any previous world number ones - Judd is averaging one major event every three and a half years or 25 attempts though this is a superior record to Selby.

It's the way of the game now and I suspect the number one spot will no longer be a confirmation of being the world champion and best in the world but just who turns up to most events.

If PTCs were ignored Selby would still be top and Murphy/Trump would be 5/6 places below him but that is changing this year taking into account this event which will have Murphy/Trump as top ranked in majors this year with Selby almost out the top 16.

In my eyes, being world number one now doesn't mean as much as it's updated so often so you could have half a dozen different number ones each season.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
                So what he has to do to be the best ever? Of course he deserves to be nro 1, just as much as Selby did. They did it within the same system and under the same rules. The system defines who is "worth it". God knows why the questions were raised in Selby's case.

Congratulations to J. Trump!

Let me get my popcorn now!

as UK Champion possibly more deserving than selby and could hold two of the big three full ranking events
                by subday
                Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                  as UK Champion possibly more deserving than selby and could hold two of the big three full ranking events
                  by subday
                  The rankings told us that at the time Selby was nro 1 he was the most deserving player. Now, in terms of the current system, Judd is more deserving than Selby (or any other player), that's obvious. It is true that Trump has been very active in the PTC events and that's part of reason he's nro 1 now. I think the existence of the PTCs has a lot to do to the fact that Trump began to win titles. It wasn't "only a matter of time" for him to become this successful, IMHO.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    At 23 he,s at the peak of his potting and attacking aspect of the game , it wont get better , theres other aspects of his game that will improve but not that aspect of it .

Comment

Stephen Hendry was World champion 2 years younger than Judd is now...
                      Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

It would also be how you and others define the best ever , sujectively or objectively

He may be viewed as the best ever by reaching standards higher than anyone has previously done in the game but not as successful or
                        he may be the most successful ever but not seen to reach the heights ( playing standards ) of an Hendry , O , sullivan , Higgind or Davis at their best .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                          At 23 he,s at the peak of his potting and attacking aspect of the game , it wont get better , theres other aspects of his game that will improve but not that aspect of it .
                          Actually, I've been quite impressed with his safety. He's been solidly improving in that department. Yet he might lack a bit of patience, though, to play the game in full scale. But it's all coming together fast, I think.

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
                            Actually, I've been quite impressed with his safety. He's been solidly improving in that department. Yet he might lack a bit of patience, though, to play the game in full scale. But it's all coming together fast, I think.
                            No doubt he is turning into an excellent attacking allround player , should say has turned . He is relying more on his safety because he has to .

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
                              Stephen Hendry was World champion 2 years younger than Judd is now...
                              Spot on , but would Stephen Hendry be world champion if he were competing against this opposition .

Comment

Working...
                              X