Ssb - selby rules uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - selby rules uk

Mark Selby wasn’t exactly snooker’s Cinderella as he couldn’t quite wrap up victory by midnight but he did win the UK Championship, and winning is what matters in sport, whether it’s through a dazzling display or a right old dogfight.

This was the latter. Much will be made of Shaun Murphy’s missed blue with a chance to close to 7-8 but he may reflect that it was the last two frames of the opening session which proved most costly.

Selby was struggling at this point. Murphy won the 53 minute sixth frame to lead 4-2 but that frame seemed to affect his rhythm and he could not maintain the momentum. By winning these two frames, Selby stayed in touch.

The evening session was generally low in quality but high in drama and excitement with sundry close frames.

Snooker is a tough game at the best of times but when the pressure is on it becomes almost unbearably difficult.

Selby did improve as the evening wore on whereas Murphy will be disappointed he couldn’t produce the same stirring comeback he conjured against Ali Carter. Put simply, not enough went in.

So Selby ends 2012 as world no.1 and UK champion, a satisfying return for someone whose very future was under threat at the start of the season due to his neck injury.

A bunch of people Mark will never meet don’t seem to like him but they should know that he doesn’t care. Neither should he. He’s got to where he is in life through sheer hard work. He’s happy and successful. He’s a winner.

As he spends the £125,000 winners’ cheque – a record for the UK Championship – the Jester can once again have the last laugh.

Murphy was gracious in defeat and this isn’t easy. He seems to just love being part of it all, win or lose. It’s a boyhood dream after all.

It was another late finish. Why? Because it was a late start.

The BBC attracted one of its biggest audiences for years when they started the final session of the 2011 world final at 7pm but seem unmovable on the 8pm start time for all other finals.

The central problem is that they don’t want a runaway final to be swamped by, say, the X Factor final but people have work or school or tiredness to think about and it’s surely time for a rethink.

One final thought: I didn’t personally hear a single mobile phone go off all week. For this alone the tournament should return to York next year.

More...

Congratulations to Mark Selby.

It won't make any difference to the doubters but only truly great players can win when not at their best and that's what Mark did this week.

As Shaun Murphy put it, the hardest player on the tour to beat.

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
      Congratulations to Mark Selby.

It won't make any difference to the doubters but only truly great players can win when not at their best and that's what Mark did this week.

As Shaun Murphy put it, the hardest player on the tour to beat.
      Murphy is his best mate and it was just a lame excuse for his poor performance. fact is none of the other top players turned up this week, it was a bad advertisement for the game at a time when they need to capture a new audience. Just hope that Trump, Higgins, Allen, Ding et al return to form again soon. If the world final is this poor in quality, heaven help the game!

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        Murphy is his best mate and it was just a lame excuse for his poor performance. fact is none of the other top players turned up this week, it was a bad advertisement for the game at a time when they need to capture a new audience. Just hope that Trump, Higgins, Allen, Ding et al return to form again soon. If the world final is this poor in quality, heaven help the game!
        Couldn't agree more.I've seen plenty of amateur finals of much higher quality. You could tell Hendry was thinking about dusting his cue off and showing them how to breakbuild SHOCKING!!

Comment

reading through some of the tweets and one caught my eye from mark williams. He said if Ronnie was watching that last night he'll probably be thinking of defending his world title as it would be 'easy money'. Also he reckons Hearn will be nagging him to comeback as soon as possible because this is not the type of snooker that it going to help him promote the game. Sure the purists love it but I think it says a lot about how boring their lives must be if they can find enjoyment in that!

Comment

Mark Williams is a legend on twitter so funny. Him and Steve Davis crack me up. Yea Hearn will be begging Ronnie the UK is the 2nd biggest comp in our game Ronnie could have won that match last night giving a 50 start and playing left handed. Murphy is to interested in being everyones best mate and Selby's own cue action gives him whiplash. The only good thing that came from this uk was Luca Brecel finally doing what everyone in the know thought he would have done by now.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
              Mark Williams is a legend on twitter so funny. Him and Steve Davis crack me up. Yea Hearn will be begging Ronnie the UK is the 2nd biggest comp in our game Ronnie could have won that match last night giving a 50 start and playing left handed. Murphy is to interested in being everyones best mate and Selby's own cue action gives him whiplash. The only good thing that came from this uk was Luca Brecel finally doing what everyone in the know thought he would have done by now.

Well if there's a player in the circuit who could actually beat Ronnie is Selby. It doesn't matter if you can play your best against Carter, having to face Mark is a completely different matter.
              Last Welsh Open semifinal...

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
                Well if there's a player in the circuit who could actually beat Ronnie is Selby. It doesn't matter if you can play your best against Carter, having to face Mark is a completely different matter.
                Last Welsh Open semifinal...
                I personally think Ali is a better alround player than Selby. You cant honestly think Mark would have stood a chance against Ronnie, Higgins,Trump on last nights peformance they would have all wiped the floor with him.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                  I personally think Ali is a better alround player than Selby. You cant honestly think Mark would have stood a chance against Ronnie, Higgins,Trump on last nights peformance they would have all wiped the floor with him.
                  What about Neil Robertson then? Isn't he good enough to wipe with him? Of course he is, but is it just luck that most of the times Selby plays a top player this can't produce his best snooker?
                  I honestly don't think so.
                  It's easy to say "Judd would have won" but where was Judd last night? Home. Same as Higgins and all the others except Murphy.

Comment

Why do so many players and fans suck up to Ronnie? It won't make him come back. I for one think that newspapers and websites should put large headlines like "Mark Selby made snooker fans forget about Ronnie", or "Selby proves he's better than O'Sullivan ever was"... Now that would make him mad, wouldn't it? I think he'd return in about two minutes...

Sorry guys, but Mark Selby was the best this week and he certainly deserves his #1 spot. Deal with it.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Selby, as I find him irritating, but he deserved to the UK Championships and especially coming back from 3 - 0 against Day and 4 - 0 against Robertson.

He's certainly underachieved in the sport for a man with his all round game, but this win could give him real momentum and he'll be a genuine contender for the World Championships.
                      John Lennon : Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. :snooker:

Comment

Selby got some run last night but his overall matchplay is first class. When he is off form he plays accordingly and its called a B game, Selby and Higgins use it when needed. The players that have a solid B game are normally the players that make a consistent living out of the game.
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by shmeeko69 View Post
                          I'm not a fan of Selby, as I find him irritating, but he deserved to the UK Championships and especially coming back from 3 - 0 against Day and 4 - 0 against Robertson.

He's certainly underachieved in the sport for a man with his all round game, but this win could give him real momentum and he'll be a genuine contender for the World Championships.
                          Same here. He's got a huge talent but more often than not he really grinds a game down. Had Murphy been playing O'Sullivan, Trump, Ding etc. we would not have seen as many scrappy frames. Might have even seen a century break. Selby is a top player but I prefer open frames of snooker and Selby doesn't always make for good viewing. But well done on his win, he's deserved to win a top tournament for a while now.

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                            Selby got some run last night but his overall matchplay is first class. When he is off form he plays accordingly and its called a B game, Selby and Higgins use it when needed. The players that have a solid B game are normally the players that make a consistent living out of the game.
                            Mark Williams is another player who seems to have an excellent B game, IMO.

I find it odd that Selby gets so much flak and Higgins and Williams don't. I guess it's because Williams (and perhaps Higgins), compared to Selby, usually cannot be bothered to play for 3-4 snookers.. and I that's the one thing that most people find annoying about Selby's game. I, personally, don't find it irritating, or unsportsmanlike to play for 3-4 snookers. Doing so, doesn't show disrespect to your opponent - I'm not sure why people would think it does? All it shows is a determination to win, if at all possible. Selby might do it more often than other players (I think this is why he gets singled out) but other players do it as well, and when they do it often turns into a really interesting frame (there was an Ali/Judd frame like that recently).
                            "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                            - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                              I don't buy this. If you really understand snooker you will know the difference between a grinder like Selby who tries to make frames scrappy and an attacking player like Higgins, that despite his excellent safety he plays the right shot and very few of his matches and frames are scrappy.

Selby plays a very tactical bordering on negative game. He doesn't try to win by attacking the frame, his main aim is to drag the other guys game down so that he has more of a chance of winning those scrappy frames. He does rely on luck a heck of a lot too as throughout this tournament he has probably used up his seasons luck in one or two matches! This is why people don't like his game. I've never known a player so hated, okay Ebdon used to be slow but he was far from negative.

Comment

Working...
                              X