Ssb - new bbc deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - new bbc deal

The BBC’s decision to extend its contract to show the World Championship, UK Championship and Masters is good news for snooker in the UK.

The sport’s profile in its traditional home is maintained by having exposure on terrestrial television.

The BBC first broadcast snooker in black and white before Pot Black in 1969 brought the game into living rooms in full colour.

It led to a boom which in turn created the professional circuit, so snooker has much to thank the BBC for.

They used to show five network tournaments, now it is down to three. The new deal gives the BBC an option to show a fourth from 2014.

The BBC is a public service broadcaster so sport is one of the things it should be showing but it has been outbid in recent years by Sky Sports and others.

The snooker deal is good for them for another reason: 25% of its output has to be produced by independent production companies. The snooker is produced by IMG. Snooker Extra exists solely for this reason.

The new BBC deal is likely to ensure that the Crucible will continue to host the World Championship until 2017, bringing it to 40 years as the home of the sport’s premier event.

In this ever changing snooker world, it provides continuity and helps the game to maintain a stronghold in Britain, where it first flourished nearly a century ago.

More...

Good news.
    Will BBC Wales still cover the Welsh Open? I assume that is a different contract so may already have many years left.
    cheers
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

That's great news!!

Nice to see the BBC making some commitment to snooker......
      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

No commitment to show any evening sessions live on bbc2 this week though.

It not to bad when its only one table and can watch it on the red button but for the WC it is a bit rubbish. Not everone has unlimited broadband to stream video over the net yet.

Comment

If in UK, you have Sky (as well as others I think), the British Eurosport channels are free and are showing many hours worth of the snooker from Day 1 through.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cebs View Post
            No commitment to show any evening sessions live on bbc2 this week though.

It not to bad when its only one table and can watch it on the red button but for the WC it is a bit rubbish. Not everone has unlimited broadband to stream video over the net yet.
            Very true..... But if the BBC hadn't committed at all you would have been watching even less snooker.

Comment

well day one match one and they leave it before the end and no way to carry on watching through your tv.

What a joke, didn't warn people before hand so they could get the pc ready just announce and switch of.

Have you seen what is on channel 301 at the moment, nothing bar a title screen for red button, info says eastenders mini episode since 12.45. Why couldn't they switch to show the feed it was only for about 15 minutes. Make a big deal and then switch of, would they ever do it for football or f1, remember the rain delay that time that went on for hours.

BBC need to sort out a proper sport channel or minimum red button stream(s) or just get out of sport altogether.

I think if anyone from here is at the event, they should bring it to someone there.

Next time I see the great WT on a job, I know what we'll be talking about.

Comment

I agree.
                And leaving snooker for a SKI programme? Are there any Bristish skiers anyway?
                (in Belgium, skiing isn't even shown on tv -ever- and nobody complains about it... if you're really into skiing watch Eurosport or the German tv channels)

Luckily for snooker, Eurosport exists. I always watch the snooker there nowadays, ok you have got the commercials there but they don't leave a match (as often as the BBC anyway) sor silly reasons...

And they show much more snooker.... thanks Eurosport!!

Comment

Originally Posted by tomw View Post
                  I agree.
                  And leaving snooker for a SKI programme? Are there any Bristish skiers anyway?
                  (in Belgium, skiing isn't even shown on tv -ever- and nobody complains about it... if you're really into skiing watch Eurosport or the German tv channels)

Luckily for snooker, Eurosport exists. I always watch the snooker there nowadays, ok you have got the commercials there but they don't leave a match (as often as the BBC anyway) sor silly reasons...

And they show much more snooker.... thanks Eurosport!!
                  Yes. There are members, though, who continuously whine about Eurosport coverage (especially eurosport.ro). About how poor it is. Which is quite strange because

Pearce said: “We have a very strong relationship with Eurosport, who continue to take more and more hours. Just this season alone they’ve shown 682 hours already. Last year at the same point it was 436 hours. This year two million new people have watched snooker on Eurosport compared to last year."

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...arce-interview

Doesn't look that bad from snooker's popularity point of view, either.

But you know, there's no way you can please a pro whiner.

Comment

I'd have to agree it was a really poor show of the BBC's to leave the Ding v Robertson match so close to the end of it!!

Indeed Eurosports coverage has been getting better and better with each tournament they show....

Comment

Working...
                    X