Ssb - farewell sheffield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Well I have heard that WS have spoken to Pontins about qualifying and PTC events.

I had actually drafted a article about a players expenditure staying at Pontins for qualifying and staying in Sheffield for Qualifying, i'll dig it put and post it up but the end line was that everybody was better off going to Pontins than Sheffield.
    who ever told you that is bull****ting theres no way Barry Hearn is going backwards and going back to that hell hole.

Comment

Why did the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester stop hosting qualifying and PTC events?

Comment

Too put it simply/politely.. Barry hearn is a nob.

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
          Too put it simply/politely.. Barry hearn is a nob.

how is that?

hes transformed a part time hobby in to a full time job creating more playing opportunities and earning opportunities

Comment

Originally Posted by Achamian View Post
            Why did the South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester stop hosting qualifying and PTC events?
            politics and that Paul Mount had to pay to host the events when often he was running the place at a loss because of these events. He wanted world snooker to stop charging so much but they refused, in the end he said that they couldn't use his place anymore.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
              how is that?

hes transformed a part time hobby in to a full time job creating more playing opportunities and earning opportunities
              Ok, here goes.. Well, why couldn't barry cut the costs too SWSA and pay them a decent amount too host events? when in reality he will have too pay much more to stage an event anywhere else, a substantial outlay for most venues too setup from scratch, logistically etc etc.. why not play ball and give SWSA the opportunities it so deserves, ain't seen anybody else pump so much time/effort/cash into snooker in my lifetime and then they get no incentives/rewards whatsoever from it really? How long it can go on losing money eh, it will be a sad day if paul has too close the academy due to runing costs and losing money hand over fist..

That's why barry's a nob. it;s his way or the highway... Although i do agree with some of his decisions but not too give back to someone who's put so much in stinks IMO..

That ok for ya jonesey boyo...
              Last edited by cally; 29 January 2013, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Can I just say I bricked myself when I read "Farewell Sheffield"! "No way - they just renewed the contract! The history! The drama! The fact I know how to drive there!"

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                  Ok, here goes.. Well, why couldn't barry cut the costs too SWSA and pay them a decent amount too host events? when in reality he will have too pay much more to stage an event anywhere else, a substantial outlay for most venues too setup from scratch, logistically etc etc.. why not play ball and give SWSA the opportunities it so deserves, ain't seen anybody else pump so much time/effort/cash into snooker in my lifetime and then they get no incentives/rewards whatsoever from it really? How long it can go on losing money eh, it will be a sad day if paul has too close the academy due to runing costs and losing money hand over fist..
                  Well said. I totally agree 100%.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                    politics and that Paul Mount had to pay to host the events when often he was running the place at a loss because of these events. He wanted world snooker to stop charging so much but they refused, in the end he said that they couldn't use his place anymore.
                    That is actually incorrect.

The real reason is because World Snooker would not allow Paul to keep the cloth they put onto the tables once the events were over, Paul wanted to re-sell the cloth but The World Snooker contract with the cloth company stipulated that the cloth could not be re-sold.

You can see Pauls point but on World Snooker's side they have to keep to contracts.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                      That is actually incorrect.

The real reason is because World Snooker would not allow Paul to keep the cloth they put onto the tables once the events were over, Paul wanted to re-sell the cloth but The World Snooker contract with the cloth company stipulated that the cloth could not be re-sold.

You can see Pauls point but on World Snooker's side they have to keep to contracts.
                      Do you really believe its just down to that reason alone! Trust me, I know the finer detail on this one, heard it from a source at Gloucester who is a former professional and works on the admin side there. As I said this was more to do with the cost of running these events as opposed to minor stuff such as the cloth? Could you tell me where you got that info on the cloth from, sounds more like world snookers excuse rather than Paul Mounts side of the story?

Comment

I am sure the cloths-issue is just one of many factors; such as the amount to pay WS to hold each event, players complaining about lack of refreshments when the refs got free coffee/tea, down to players trying to get into the admin offices and being shooed out. And I am sure there are others that are not public knowledge/rumour
                        Everything adds up in the end.
                        There is a statement from Paul Mount and the WS statement on a thread somewhere but I have not found it yet.
                        It would be great if something could be worked out, as SWSA sounds a great venue with great facilites.
                        on an aside - why South West Snooker Academy when it is in Gloucester? to me Gloucester is the Midlands-ish?, not Devon/Cornwall which I take as South West
                        Last edited by DeanH; 31 January 2013, 08:55 AM.
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Yes Dean I agree that it was a combination of things that made them come to this decision though with disputes like this its very hard to pick sides without hearing from both parties but I'm sure one will be BS the other. Seems to me like 2 strong characters and neither were prepared to back down and now they have split. I think its highly unlikely given whats been said that they can ever host events at swsa again.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                            I am sure the cloths-issue is just one of many factors; such as the amount to pay WS to hold each event, players complaining about lack of refreshments when the refs got free coffee/tea, down to players trying to get into the admin offices and being shooed out. And I am sure there are others that are not public knowledge/rumour
                            Everything adds up in the end.
                            There is a statement from Paul Mount and the WS statement on a thread somewhere but I have not found it yet.
                            It would be great if something could be worked out, as SWSA sounds a great venue with great facilites.
                            on an aside - why South West Snooker Academy when it is in Gloucester? to me Gloucester is the Midlands-ish?, not Devon/Cornwall which I take as South West
                            The issue of the cloths is just one of several factors which led to the decision by Paul Mount to pull out of hosting the PTCs... and most of those factors seem to relate to WS not fulfilling its promises and abiding by the terms of the contract.

By a lot of regional definitions the South West includes Gloucestershire and Wiltshire and all places south/west.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                              The issue of the cloths is just one of several factors which led to the decision by Paul Mount to pull out of hosting the PTCs... and most of those factors seem to relate to WS not fulfilling its promises and abiding by the terms of the contract.
                              Agreed

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                              By a lot of regional definitions the South West includes Gloucestershire and Wiltshire and all places south/west.
                              thanks for that, personally I have only taken SW to be from Somerset/Dorset onwards
                              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X