Ssb - itv4 to show world open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - itv4 to show world open

The World Open will be broadcast by ITV4 in the UK, ITV's first ranking event snooker since the 1993 British Open.

In the intervening 20 years ITV has shown various invitation tournaments and, more recently, Power Snooker. But by broadcasting a full ranking event they are making a much greater commitment.

The World Open, which will still be broadcast by Eurosport, starts on February 25. ITV's commentary team comprises Clive Everton, Neal Foulds and Peter Drury.

ITV broadcast many hours of snooker during the boom years of the 1980s and achieved huge ratings but they eventually ran into serious scheduling problems. Their portfolio gradually shrunk from four tournaments to two and then none at all.

But ITV4 already screens a range of sport, from football to cricket, tennis and darts. Snooker is a welcome addition to the line-up.

It would be safe to assume that, if all goes well, ITV will look to show even more in the future.

More...

very good news
    it will be good to hear Clive Everton on main-stream TV
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The Dream Team commentating . Foulds and Everton . Excellent pairing in my opinion .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Good news.
        The more snooker taken away from the BBC the better.

Comment

This is good news.
          Though I can not agree with the comment above. The BBC have online and red button coverage, when a match over runs or something else is on. ITV wont have that ability.
          However Clive Everton more than makes up for that, the BBC got rid of the worlds best snooker commentator and it is good to see ITV will be using his services!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing how their setup gets on compared to the BBC. should be good for the game, well hopefully!
            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
              This is good news.
              Though I can not agree with the comment above. The BBC have online and red button coverage, when a match over runs or something else is on. ITV wont have that ability.
              However Clive Everton more than makes up for that, the BBC got rid of the worlds best snooker commentator and it is good to see ITV will be using his services!
              If the BBC cannot commit to showing matches instead of going off air and showing re-runs of Cash In The Attic then the less snooker they have the better.
              They have drastically cut back on their Red Button coverage and, as far as I am aware, they will not be showing both tables live from this year's World Championship.
              Perhaps if they did not have half a dozen presenters on each programme they may be able to concentrate more on the coverage.

They also very rarely show snooker in HD, unlike Eurosport.

Comment

Just glad to get another event on terrestrial tv, only concern is getting adverts in the middle of a good break etc but I'm sure it'll be fine. Couldn't care less about hd, overrated depending on what it's used for if you ask me. BBC coverage is ok, viewing times could be better and they really need to can the commentators who basically sit and talk about who they're playing golf at the weekend with and other meaningless b*****ks they come out with.
                :snooker:

Comment

It's not just the adverts, it's when we get a long evening session going to a deciding frame, just as the players are about to break Clive will have to say "unfortunately we have run out of time and now it's a repeated re-run of World's Wildest Police Chases

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                    It's not just the adverts, it's when we get a long evening session going to a deciding frame, just as the players are about to break Clive will have to say "unfortunately we have run out of time and now it's a repeated re-run of World's Wildest Police Chases
                    It's great news, but I was thinking the same thing myself. Hopefully they'll build some flexibility into the schedule with something they can cancel in case of an overrun. Should be interesting to see how they do, after all these years away from the game.

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
                    ...ITV's commentary team comprises Clive Everton, Neal Foulds and Peter Drury...
                    Icing on the cake for me.

-
                    The fast and the furious,
                    The slow and labourious,
                    All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                      I doubt as it's not a mainstream channel they'd finish early on something that would attract more viewers than some other rubbish they repeat, though we'll find out soon i guess...
                      Last edited by SouthPaw; 8 February 2013, 03:28 PM. Reason: added extra...
                      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

itv, 30 minutes of programme and 30 minutes of adverts per hour.

Comment

Should be fine, i' looking forward to ITV having it, the bbc don't want snooker so let itv have it all as far as i'm concerned..

Adverts will be after every frame and they will more than likely carry on if over run and not cut short (due to lack of red button etc) i reckon, so all good really....

Fook the beeb the jimmy saville loving so and so's.......
                          Last edited by cally; 8 February 2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

That what I like to hear bud..... The glass is always half full, not half empty!!

In all seriousness I think it'll be good as well for ITV to show some snooker, give the BBC a bit of competition and show they them they haven't got soul rights to all the coverage.....

Ok there are going to be adverts, but you never know they might surprise everybody and be to everyone's liking when they stay with the snooker instead of bouncing it for a rerun of some sitcom there've shown a million times!!
                            Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                            Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

I think if/when they show football they don't show an advert during playtime so hopefully they won't during a frame of snooker. Fingers crossed they allow for over-runs as well and like most others very pleased to hear Everton back on tv, i realised while watching the championship streams how much I'd missed him. While I like Hendry/Davis I could do without a few of the others on the BBC team and have they sacked WT for good now as well, if so expect him to turn up on itv before too long.

Good news for freeview only viewers anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X