Ssb - world championship: The qualifiers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - world championship: The qualifiers

The qualifiers for the Betfair World Championship have finished and a varied group of players have made it to the Crucible, easily digestible in three groups...

THE DEBUTANTS
    By far the most exciting group, the debutants number six this year, the most since 1999.

Leading the pack for me is Jack Lisowski, who we saw come good at the China Open, where he beat Judd Trump en route to the quarter-finals. Lisowski no longer deserves to be known as Trump’s friend and practice partner. He’s a considerable talent in his own right. He looks like a star to me and can realise that potential on the biggest stage of them all. It won’t be easy because the pressure will be all new to him, but Lisowski could cause some real damage.

Michael White is similarly deadly in the balls and has qualified this year as his good friend Jamie Jones did last year (Jones reached the quarter-finals). White doesn’t have much TV experience but is a dangerously talented potter.

Ben Woollaston has quietly been improving these last couple of years. He held himself together well to edge Ryan Day in a decider on Saturday night.

Matt Selt also came through in a decider after his 9-4 lead over comeback king Ken Doherty was wiped out. Selt is a confident, disciplined player. In some ways his scare against Doherty may help prepare him for the pressures to come.

Dechawat Poomjaeng is a bit of an unknown quantity. He has qualified from round one and becomes the third Thai, after James Wattana and Tai Pichit, to play at the Crucible. His style is methodical and he has an inscrutable manner which could help him get under a players' skins.

Sam Baird, relegated last season but a returnee through Q School, reached the last 16 of this season’s Welsh Open and, like Poomjaeng, won four matches to qualify, a considerable effort. He will also be taking a step into unchartered territory, a sink or swim environment with the game’s big fishes.

THE REGULARS
    Some familiar faces are once again at the Crucible this year. Peter Ebdon grafted long into the night to beat Kurt Maflin 10-8 and secure a 22nd successive appearance, a fine achievement by the 2002 champion.

Dominic Dale makes his eighth appearance and third in succession after easing past Alfie Burden. Mark Davis, Martin Gould, Marcus Campbell and Mark King are no strangers to the treading the Crucible carpet, whatever colour it is.

The real dangerman from this group is Marco Fu, a World Championship semi-finalist in 2006 and runner-up in the German Masters this season. Fu is right up there as one of the qualifiers the top 16 seeds will want to avoid.

BACK AFTER THE BREAK
    There are some players returning to Sheffield after absences since their last visit. Michael Holt is back for the first time since 2010 after holding off Mark Joyce 10-7 having led 8-0.

Alan McManus, a semi-finalist in 1992 and 1993, won three matches to qualify for the first time since 2006. Robert Milkins ended Jimmy White’s hopes 10-5 and is back for the first time since 2005.

The draw for the first round takes place on Monday from 1.30pm UK time on Talksport, the commercial sports station.

More...

Good to see the debutants at the Crucible.

Unfortunately (for me) some young players didn't play as well as I would of liked - Brecel, Cao Yupeng, Jamie Jones, Liang Wenbo, Anthony McGill and a few others.

It is somewhat suprising to see that Ding will be the lone Chinese player at the Crucible. Also, what has happened to Jamie Jones? I thought he would of made the last 32 regularly this season, but I don't think he progressed through the qualifiers this season in any of the tournaments.

Comment

Sorry for the double post, but when is the draw?

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
        Good to see the debutants at the Crucible...

Also, what has happened to Jamie Jones? I thought he would of made the last 32 regularly this season, but I don't think he progressed through the qualifiers this season in any of the tournaments.
        Also expected big things of Jamie this year after his run at the crucible last year. Same with Brecel, but he is still very young & will get plenty of time to gain experience on the big stage.

Impressed with how the young guys qualified this year... scorelines that even the top ranked players would be proud of. This could mark the the next stage of the changeover period...the old boys who were so dominant in the game over the past 15 years+ are in the latter stages of their career & there are another handful of under 25 year old debutants ready to make their name. Ben Woollaston & Sam Baird are both well capable of causing an upset, but I could see both Lisowski & Michael White making a deep run. I've put a silly bet on Lisowski for the past 3 World Championships so am delighted that he has finally started showing form at the venues as I had him at 200/1 about 6 months ago (150/1 the previous years) & he has come right in now.

I'm predicting this years World Championship as one to remember!!

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
          Sorry for the double post, but when is the draw?
          on the WS website it says:
          "The draw for the last 32 of the Betfair World Championship will take place on Monday April 15 at 1.30pm, live on Talksport radio."
          I am sure that is BST
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Jack Lisowski can win this title. Playing amazing snooker in the past few weeks.

Comment

Just been having a quick look and 13/2 for ronnie after a whole season off is a bit dissapointing. Best value bets for me this year are mark allen at 14/1 and carter at 28/1.
              2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

Originally Posted by potblac View Post
                Jack Lisowski can win this title. Playing amazing snooker in the past few weeks.
                I put a tenner on him at 68/1 . . .

Fingers crossed.

Robbo was paying 8/1. I hope he wins, but maybe he peaked 1 tournie too early.
                My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by dieselman147 View Post
                  Just been having a quick look and 13/2 for ronnie after a whole season off is a bit dissapointing. Best value bets for me this year are mark allen at 14/1 and carter at 28/1.
                  Unfortunately the favourites are too short priced for me to get any value out of. Maybe only Higgins at 10/1 is worth a punt. Good outsider bets for me are Barry Hawkins at 70/1 and Ricky Walden at 80/1. Although most will dismiss them, they have both won ranking events already this season which will have given them both an immense confidence boost so think both are worth an each way bet (1/2 odds for runner up). Bingham at 25/1, had a superb start to the season, his ranking has shot up to the top 8 seems a decent bet...although he hasn;t got the most favourable draw with both Higgins and Ronnie in his quarter of the draw.

Comment

Correct. Robertson,selby and Ding must be favs but not worth a bet at short odds. Cant see jack winning even though hes playing well a few good results arnt enough to put him in contention to win the world champs this early. The likes of higgins and williams etc are not playing at there best anymore. Maguire or another title for murphy could be possible but again thr odds arent the best. Wed all love ronnie to pull it off but cant see it after all this time off. I think mark allen has a big chance as he has the form and experience and 14/1 isnt too bad. Carter at 28/1 is a good e/w bet. Anyway, roll on ebbo-dott that must be exciting everyone!!!
                    2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

To be honest there's no value in snooker betting at all, Hawkins or Walden, not a chance in the longer format, don't waste your money, if you want to bet in snooker just do match betting, but overall I'd avoid like the plague and would just enjoy the snooker...
                      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by CueInAction View Post
                        Unfortunately the favourites are too short priced for me to get any value out of. Maybe only Higgins at 10/1 is worth a punt. Good outsider bets for me are Barry Hawkins at 70/1 and Ricky Walden at 80/1. Although most will dismiss them, they have both won ranking events already this season which will have given them both an immense confidence boost so think both are worth an each way bet (1/2 odds for runner up). Bingham at 25/1, had a superb start to the season, his ranking has shot up to the top 8 seems a decent bet...although he hasn't got the most favourable draw with both Higgins and Ronnie in his quarter of the draw.
                        Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                        To be honest there's no value in snooker betting at all, Hawkins or Walden, not a chance in the longer format, don't waste your money, if you want to bet in snooker just do match betting, but overall I'd avoid like the plague and would just enjoy the snooker...
                        Reviving this old thread just to blow my own trumpet

My two outsiders are both playing each other in the semi finals so I'm guaranteed a payout...shame I was too tight to put on more than £1 each way on each of them. My third outsider Bingham had a nice run too huh?

Anyone wanting to join up to my tipster service, I'm charging a mere £50 a year hehe

Comment

Working...
                        X