Ssb - chalk this way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - chalk this way

Last weekend, Joe Perry, the guitarist with Aerosmith, was inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame.

Meanwhile, in Yixing, snooker’s Joe Perry won the first Asian Tour title of the season, earning himself a £10,000 bonus plus a place in the grand finals next March.

This was his second professional title, having previously won the 2008 Championship League.

Joe was once introduced into an arena by an MC as ‘a steady player’ which I would imagine hardly had him jumping for joy.

Perry is in fact a former world no.12, a ranking event runner-up, a World Championship semi-finalist, twice a UK Championship semi-finalist and runner-up in two PTCs.

He’s beaten just about everyone there is to beat down the years. He’s had his disappointments and he’s had his moments of cheer.

In other words, he’s had a career while many of the players he grew up with have fallen by the wayside.

I’m sure Perry will have seen the success the likes of Mark Davis and Stuart Bingham – players of around his age – have enjoyed lately and thought there’s no reason he can’t have some of that for himself.

Today he plays Ding Junhui in Wuxi City, literally on home turf for the Chinese. To tortuously link back to Aerosmith, he won’t want to miss a thing.

He didn’t miss much against Jamie Cope in the previous round, making five half century breaks to win 5-2.

Against Ding he will have to cope with a partisan crowd but there’s no doubt Perry’s confidence is high right now and were he to win it wouldn’t be a huge upset.

Judd Trump and Mark Allen departed yesterday, Trump to Li Hang, whose haircut provided plenty of comment, containing as it did more colours than the average snooker table.

Mark Williams won a terrific match against Liam Highfield. This was no guts, no glory snooker: both players going for their shots, trying to win rather than trying not to lose, and Highfield provided much evidence of a bright future while Williams was reassuringly solid in all departments.

Williams today faces Jack Lisowski in a fascinating clash of generations: an all time great against a young player whose future looks bright.

More...

he won’t want to miss a thing.

lovely

Comment

I just put a fiver on Jack Lisowski to beat Mark Williams . . . betting on youth over experience in this case!
      My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
      I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
      X