Ssb - stephen lee: Guilty of match fixing charges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - stephen lee: Guilty of match fixing charges

Stephen Lee has today been found guilty of seven counts of match fixing and will discover his punishment on September 24.

The WPBSA statement published on worldsnooker.com details the matches and bets placed by those close to Lee.

In total, £111,000 was bet on the seven matches, with winnings totalling £97,000. On one occasion, money from a successful bet was placed in Lee’s wife’s bank account.

Lee, 39, has not played professionally since he was suspended last October after losing a match in the Premier League. The investigation into this match was subsequently dropped.

A ‘significant sanction’ is expected when punishment is passed down next week.

More...

This is not a surprise. He never had a cat in hell's chance of being found not guilty.

Comment

Originally Posted by Achamian View Post
      This is not a surprise. He never had a cat in hell's chance of being found not guilty.
      Especially with this piece of evidence "On one occasion, money from a successful bet was placed in Lee’s wife’s bank account"

Comment

Sad day for snooker but it's rife in all sports . Got told about Darts . Footballers in Australia being implicated in fixing as well .
        Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

He would have .....if he hadn't done anything !!!

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
            He would have .....if he hadn't done anything !!!
            That's true. If he hadn't done anything, he wouldn't have had overwhelming evidence of guilt against him.

I expect they will give him a ban of about ten years or so. I think they would like to ban him for life, but they may not do that in case he makes a 'harsh and unfair punishment' appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.

But, at the age of 38, in snooker terms, a ten year ban is pretty much equivalent to a life ban anyway.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Last edited by Achamian; 16 September 2013, 07:20 PM. Reason: Added some more text.

Comment

oh dear, a very sad day for the sport but again another clear message (after Jogia) to others, "big brother is watching"
              expect to see a long ban, maybe even permanent
              shame, loved watching Lee play, sweet sweet cue action
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Have you read the entire report Dean ? Just read it..............got him bang to rights . Phone records / betting accounts / bank accounts .

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
                  Have you read the entire report Dean ? Just read it..............got him bang to rights . Phone records / betting accounts / bank accounts .
                  yep,
                  wife account, manager's "friends" accounts, please a "best friend" account.
                  manager tried to cover it up with "fake accounts" but obvious connections
                  I was hoping for some "benefit of doubt" but... no
                  Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

World Top 16 player but: "he had no bank account but used his wife’s". My dear...
                    Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Working...
                    X