Ssb - snooker in a fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
    Ronnie should either say who these players is or shut his stupid ****ing mouth. this cretin has done zilch to help the sport improve i wish the useless big mouth will just **** off in to retirement.
    Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
    Apart from attract spectators and take the game to a new level no he hasn't helped improve the sport lol, that's a ridiculous statement! Without Ronnie the game would of almost died off over the past 10 years
    Ronnie's twitter comments and Barry's reply are also one of the top items on the BBC website at the moment ... so if you believe all publicity is good publicity, Ronnie and Barry are doing a fine job

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
      I don't think Mr O'Sullivan has any answering to do on his comments tweeted, snooker authorities and players know that there's much more cheating going on, so why exactly should Ronnie have to explain himself? Even if he knew of other occasions of corruption, what's he to gain from spilling the beans, a pat on the back! Laughable a big fuss has been made of it!!!
      Ronnie should either say who these players is or shut his stupid ****ing mouth.

this cretin has done zilch to help the sport improve i wish the useless big mouth will just **** off in to retirement.
      Sounds like your suffering from a past encounter with Ronald, a failed autograph attempt perhaps or didn't sign his book for you? =P
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Getting back to the point if you have 128 professional players all expected to compete in a global sport staying in hotels in far flung places and trying to eeek a living when a lot earn less than a average wage is it not asking a lot for them to avoid this temptation?

There is not yet enough money filtering around at snooker to justify 128 pro players its not like golf or tennis just yet and some may think it was a mistake allowing this many so soon. Very hard to monitor all the matches and perhaps they should have stuck with the format as it was before until the money increased to justify this wider participation.
        Last edited by Byrom; 18 September 2013, 09:47 AM.

Comment

he has not helped the game with the sh.t he has come out with over the last ten or so years .Yes he is one of the all time greats, but think back on all the crap he has came out with.ie walking out mid game and shafting the paying fans , constantly talking about jacking in the game ,the list is endless .

the pro game was dying anyway with ronnie in it ..... untill barry hearn took over
          Saying al lthat would still pay to watch him play.....has he taking the game to another level,is better than the 90s hendry??

Comment

I think Ronny just tried to protect Stephen a bit.
            Imho thats all, end of story.
            mind control > body control > cue control > ball control

Comment

As long as there is betting in sport, there will always be the temptation to cheat and make money. the introduction of in-play betting too has made it even worse, where you can bet on outcomes of individual frames and even points made, its really made many more gamblers out of people and with the introduction of internet betting its accessible from anywhere.

i think in the end it will be very difficult to get rid of it completely. if someone wants to do it, they will.

they may get caught especially if they are as naive as Stephen Lee was. however it can be easily disguised once they commit to it. i mean lets face it how can you really tell if a player lost a frame on purpose it can easily be done.

its a shame that some have to go down that path and sucumb to the temptation of money. where have self respect and morals gone... its a different world indeed.

Alabbadi
              Last edited by alabadi; 18 September 2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

No matter how many post match or tournament equivalents of horse racing's stewards enquiry every time the favourite is not the champion will not prove that the person who most people expected to win the whole thing played to lose on purpose.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                  I am guessing you ain't much of a Ronnie fan then wildJONESEYE?
                  he is a world renowned hater who trolls on every snooker site defaming ronnie

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
                    he is a world renowned hater who trolls on every snooker site defaming ronnie
                    so says the "renowned hater who trolls on TSF defaming Selby as a cheat"

sheesh
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by chas6868 View Post
                      he has not helped the game with the sh.t he has come out with over the last ten or so years .Yes he is one of the all time greats, but think back on all the crap he has came out with.ie walking out mid game and shafting the paying fans , constantly talking about jacking in the game ,the list is endless .

the pro game was dying anyway with ronnie in it ..... untill barry hearn took over
                      Saying al lthat would still pay to watch him play.....has he taking the game to another level,is better than the 90s hendry??
                      In consistency no, in talent and shot making yes! And think about it, even all the crap he comes up with is still highly publicized keeping snooker in the news, any publicity is good publicity. It may well of still been dying but without Ronnie it would of been a hell of a lot worse and that's a fact!
                      Last edited by Dave Walton; 18 September 2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Hey folks

There is a massive difference between losing a match on purpose for money, and losing a match after getting yourself frustrated and irritated when things aren't going your way and you are in the wrong frame of mind.
                        Last edited by david16; 18 September 2013, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
                          In consistency no, in talent and shot making yes! And think about it, even all the crap he comes up with is still highly publicized keeping snooker in the news, any publicity is good publicity. It may well of still been dying but without Ronnie it would of been a hell of a lot worse and that's a fact!
                          The 2 world title gap between Hendry and O'Sullivan is a far truer reflection of their abilities than it appeared coming into the 2012 world professional snooker championships.

O'Sullivan deserves to be just 2 world titles behind Hendry. Both with 700+ centuries is a realistic reflection of both their abilities as well.

Hendry was super consistent at a very high level requiring his opponent to produce an outstanding performance to give him a tough game in his prime years.
                          Last edited by david16; 18 September 2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

this cretin has done zilch to help the sport improve i wish the useless big mouth will just **** off in to retirement.
                            I completely agree with you, wildJONESEYE.

The only thing Ronnie O'Sullivan has done for snooker is what coincidentally serves his own selfish interest. He is a fantastic player who lots of people want to watch, and that does help snooker's popularity and viewing figures etc. But being a fantastic player and winning tournaments puts lots of money in his own pocket. Ronnie O'Sullivan plays snooker to make money, and the fact that he increases snooker's popularity and viewing figures is entirely coincidental because people like to watch him doing it.

I say this because it's obvious that Ronnie O'Sullivan doesn't care about his fans or promoting the sport of snooker itself.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has walked out of tournaments, leaving paying fans sitting in their seats with no snooker to watch. He has entered tournaments, and then not turned up for them, disappointing fans who had booked tickets just to see him play. He continually talks about packing in the game, changing his mind every five minutes, and leaving his fans not knowing what he is going to do. He withdrew from the circuit for almost a whole season because, according to Stephen Hendry, "he was really not enjoying playing". Then, when he came back and played in the World Championship, he openly admitted that he only came back for the money - apparently he needed to pay some 'school fees'. I could write plenty more here about a lot of other selfish crap that he's pulled over the years. The list is almost endless. But I think I've said enough to make my point.

My point being, does this sound like someone who cares about his fans? I certainly don't think so.

And, from Ronnie's latest 'Tweets', it's obvious that he doesn't care about promoting the sport of snooker either.

Seriously, what was the point of Tweeting "I've heard there's many more players who throw snooker matches"?

It would be different if he named some cheaters, or put forward some other kind of evidence. But all he has done is caused concern without any supporting evidence.

Does he think that sponsors will be attracted to a sport which the World Champion openly states is 'rife' with match fixing? I wonder what last season's World Championship sponsors, Betfair, will think about Ronnie's match fixing comments? Will Betfair want to sponsor the 2014 World Championship if snooker is apparently 'rife' with match fixing?

What Ronnie has done here has the potential to actively harm the sport of snooker, not promote it.

Also, it makes me laugh when people say that, without Ronnie O'Sullivan, the sport of snooker would have died. The game of snooker was dying when Ronnie O'Sullivan had already been playing in it for years. It was Barry Hearn that saved snooker from dying, not Ronnie O'Sullivan.

So, Ronnie O'Sullivan is 'only in it for the money', he doesn't care about his fans, and he's not bothered about potentially harming the sport that has earned him millions of pounds.

Anything Ronnie O'Sullivan has done for snooker has been a coincidental by-product of people liking to watch him playing snooker and trying to put money in his own pocket. And sometimes he can't even be bothered to do that!

I have personally, on several occasions, seen Ronnie O'Sullivan act like a selfish, spoiled little brat.

The only person Ronnie O'Sullivan seems to care about is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Hey Ronnie, thanks for being such a fantastic role model.

Comment

that's a very well reasoned argument Achamian ... I can't say I disagree with it ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Achamian View Post

I completely agree with you, wildJONESEYE.

The only thing Ronnie O'Sullivan has done for snooker is what coincidentally serves his own selfish interest. He is a fantastic player who lots of people want to watch, and that does help snooker's popularity and viewing figures etc. But being a fantastic player and winning tournaments puts lots of money in his own pocket. Ronnie O'Sullivan plays snooker to make money, and the fact that he increases snooker's popularity and viewing figures is entirely coincidental because people like to watch him doing it.

I say this because it's obvious that Ronnie O'Sullivan doesn't care about his fans or promoting the sport of snooker itself.

Ronnie O'Sullivan has walked out of tournaments, leaving paying fans sitting in their seats with no snooker to watch. He has entered tournaments, and then not turned up for them, disappointing fans who had booked tickets just to see him play. He continually talks about packing in the game, changing his mind every five minutes, and leaving his fans not knowing what he is going to do. He withdrew from the circuit for almost a whole season because, according to Stephen Hendry, "he was really not enjoying playing". Then, when he came back and played in the World Championship, he openly admitted that he only came back for the money - apparently he needed to pay some 'school fees'. I could write plenty more here about a lot of other selfish crap that he's pulled over the years. The list is almost endless. But I think I've said enough to make my point.

My point being, does this sound like someone who cares about his fans? I certainly don't think so.

And, from Ronnie's latest 'Tweets', it's obvious that he doesn't care about promoting the sport of snooker either.

Seriously, what was the point of Tweeting "I've heard there's many more players who throw snooker matches"?

It would be different if he named some cheaters, or put forward some other kind of evidence. But all he has done is caused concern without any supporting evidence.

Does he think that sponsors will be attracted to a sport which the World Champion openly states is 'rife' with match fixing? I wonder what last season's World Championship sponsors, Betfair, will think about Ronnie's match fixing comments? Will Betfair want to sponsor the 2014 World Championship if snooker is apparently 'rife' with match fixing?

What Ronnie has done here has the potential to actively harm the sport of snooker, not promote it.

Also, it makes me laugh when people say that, without Ronnie O'Sullivan, the sport of snooker would have died. The game of snooker was dying when Ronnie O'Sullivan had already been playing in it for years. It was Barry Hearn that saved snooker from dying, not Ronnie O'Sullivan.

So, Ronnie O'Sullivan is 'only in it for the money', he doesn't care about his fans, and he's not bothered about potentially harming the sport that has earned him millions of pounds.

Anything Ronnie O'Sullivan has done for snooker has been a coincidental by-product of people liking to watch him playing snooker and trying to put money in his own pocket. And sometimes he can't even be bothered to do that!

I have personally, on several occasions, seen Ronnie O'Sullivan act like a selfish, spoiled little brat.

The only person Ronnie O'Sullivan seems to care about is Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Hey Ronnie, thanks for being such a fantastic role model.
                                Every professional snooker player is doing it for the money, its their job ffs! Love him or hate him he's been good for the game, he's the star attraction because you just never know what your gonna get from him. The game was in decline and Ronnie kept it going, without him the sponsors wouldn't of invested, Hearn has helped gain more sponsors and a lot of that stems from being able to advertise Ronnie appearing

Comment

Working...
                                X