Ssb - trump's slump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - trump's slump

From this season’s first five major ranking events Judd Trump has failed to reach a last 16 (though he didn’t enter one of them).

This doesn’t represent a career crisis but is a poor start to the campaign for the world no.3.

In fact, he played well in the International Championship today against Alan McManus, making two centuries. In the decider, Trump attempted a red rather than play safe, trying to win the match, which was the positive thing to do.

However, he missed the pot and McManus made a good break to get to snookers required.

Trump had made mistakes earlier in the match but McManus played positively throughout and fully deserved his win.

You’re never far away from advice and opinion where the internet’s concerned and Trump will receive plenty of both after this latest setback. He didn’t help his cause by tweeting last week that he would not only defend the title in Chengdu but also make a 147, which seemed to be upping the stakes somewhat.

I’ve always liked Judd as a player and a person. His talent is obvious and he is a perfectly pleasant, polite young man.

I’m less sure of the image that seems to have been created around him, that of some kind of playboy enjoying the trappings of success.

Material goods are nice to have but they are ultimately just stuff, and most snooker fans aren’t actually that impressed by them, preferring on table performances and achievements.

There’s nothing wrong with doing corporate work to satisfy sponsors. Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry did bucket loads of this in their time and Trump can’t be blamed for doing similar.

I have no comment to make about how much time he spends practising because I don’t know his daily schedule. Similarly he can spend his private time however he likes – nightclubs, gigs, holidays, whatever. That’s entirely his own business.

Balancing work and life is not a struggle unique to snooker players. The difference is that in many jobs you can perform below optimum level. Sport isn’t like that, though. Increasingly in snooker if you don’t play well from round one you’ll be on your way home.

It seems to me that Trump is basically on a bad run of form. He’s too good for it not to end.

But the rest of this season and the near future will be interesting for Trump-watchers. There’s never been a better time to be a young, talented snooker player without the ties of marriage or children.

But success brings with it distractions and these, paradoxically, are what often impede further success in the future.

Trump doesn’t seem the sort to dwell on things but maybe this is the time to decide what he really wants and, moreover, how he’s going to get it.

More...

I think ultimately this bad run of form and him facing opponents who are extremely focused to beat him will do him good in the long run.

It seems to me that he put a massive amount of focus and energy to become number one and then took his foot of the gas and sort of expected that his raw natural talent would be enough to keep him at the top. Obviously that is not the case. These defeats will hopeful spur him on to spend a lot more time on the practise table and really tighten up his concentration and focus to get back to where he deserves to be.

Comment

As Roy Castle once sang...........' It's about Dedication ' .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

This thread should have been called 'Judd's Slump'.
        WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
        Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
          As Roy Castle once sang...........' It's about Dedication ' .
          Totally agree with you Neil.

Comment

Yeah one day you have it all

The Ferrari the birds the booze the confident swagger and the **** taste in shoes the next you can be on a one way ticket to Palookaville

Could be worse though - you could be Matt Selt driving a smart car
            Last edited by Byrom; 28 October 2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Judd does need to Focus more on Snooker than What Cars, Clothes, Bling, Tweets etc as he is Supposed to be a Professional but doesnt seem to Grasp this part yet! Yes having a Ferrari, Bling etc is good but to make a Sucessful Career out of Snooker he needs to start and Concentrate more on the Road quite far ahead and not where hes at now.

I like the Positive Play when hes on form and for awhile he did play some excellent safety play showing he can also do that when his minds right! I would like to see him get into more finals as hes great for the game like Ronnie has been for many years.

C'mon Judd lets get down to serious business and start getting into latter stages of tournys where you should be!

Comment

this raises also the possibility that he is vastly over rated and actually does not have the talent mentally to do much in the game?
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                  this raises also the possibility that he is vastly over rated and actually does not have the talent mentally to do much in the game?
                  My thoughts exactly, he's been overhyped by the bbc ever since he got to the final of the wsc, I don't see him becoming world number one again, I'd like to be proved wrong but I just don't see it!
                  Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
                    My thoughts exactly, he's been overhyped by the bbc ever since he got to the final of the wsc, I don't see him becoming world number one again, I'd like to be proved wrong but I just don't see it!
                    not just BBC
                    I thought last season he had "matured" but something not right this season, yet.
                    Not a fan but sometimes he is entertaining to watch.
                    Anyone know if he has a regular coach?
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      a huge +1

the most overrated player on the circuit imho
                      #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Comment

I wouldn't say he's over rated as such, when he's on he is a match for anyone on the table, the trouble atm is his decline is being magnified by the fact relatively unknown players are getting further than him.

Comment

I don't think a player the scores (i think) 61 centuries in a season can be over rated ! It's very difficult to stay at the top of the rankings when you play such an attacking game, even Ronnie has to rein in his attacking instincts alot of the time. I think he just needs to find the right balance depending how he's playing at the time. In short, he'll improve with experience.

Comment

Perhaps he could visit one of the snooker coaches who have a
                            solid track record to check out his technical side and his emotional
                            side so he is fully prepared. Terry Griffiths comes to mind.

Comment

Originally Posted by robertmac View Post
                              Perhaps he could visit one of the snooker coaches who have a
                              solid track record to check out his technical side and his emotional
                              side so he is fully prepared. Terry Griffiths comes to mind.
                              Yes, or everyone on the forum could give him some free advice.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Working...
                              X