Foul Shot Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul Shot Query

If I am awarded a free ball and I choose black, for instance. I play the black and inadvertently snooker my oponent with the black AND another colour, is this a foul?

Yes if the first ball the white is behind is the nominated free ball

Comment

as Mikee says, the closest ball to the cue ball is the "snookering ball" so if that is the Black, then it is a foul (unless only Pink and Black on the table )
      If the second ball is exactly the same distance from the cue ball as the Black it is still considered a Foul as BOTH balls are then considered as "snookering ball".
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Many thanks for the responses.

Comment

Change of scenario I know but just thought I would throw this one in
          I was playing in a league match some years ago & was stretching down table to reach cue ball slightly short of blue line & playing a red into black end corner pocket but not comfortable decided to use rest
          After cueing the shot with the rest a few times still did not feel great & put rest to one side of cue ball to examine other options?
          spotted an alternative pottable red & decided to play that one? Got down (leaving the rest on table) played & potted the red to be greeted by a chorus of "foul" from the opposing team members? They reckoned I had committed a foul by leaving aid equipment on the playing surface of the table?
          Not the case ofcourse? So long as no balls touched the rest it has therefore had any affect of the outcome of anything? So is irrelevant as to wether or not it is on the playing surface or in the rest holders?

Comment

Originally Posted by Renoir View Post
            Change of scenario I know but just thought I would throw this one in
            I was playing in a league match some years ago & was stretching down table to reach cue ball slightly short of blue line & playing a red into black end corner pocket but not comfortable decided to use rest
            After cueing the shot with the rest a few times still did not feel great & put rest to one side of cue ball to examine other options?
            spotted an alternative pottable red & decided to play that one? Got down (leaving the rest on table) played & potted the red to be greeted by a chorus of "foul" from the opposing team members? They reckoned I had committed a foul by leaving aid equipment on the playing surface of the table?
            Not the case ofcourse? So long as no balls touched the rest it has therefore had any affect of the outcome of anything? So is irrelevant as to wether or not it is on the playing surface or in the rest holders?
            You are correct, leaving any equipment on the bed of the table is NOT a foul in itself.
            It is a Foul if the equipment contacts any ball; the penalty is 4 or the highest value of any ball concerned (ball on or ball hit).

Comment

An old practice partner used to catch me out with that rule as I would forget I can't snooker behind the nominated free ball but he would never say anything and let me do it. We were playing for money so can't really blame him and I soon started to remember.
              www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

If RED is the ball on then it is a foul only if ALL reds are snookered by the free ball.

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
                  An old practice partner used to catch me out with that rule as I would forget I can't snooker behind the nominated free ball but he would never say anything and let me do it. We were playing for money so can't really blame him and I soon started to remember.
                  I'm not the only one who forgets this rule 😁

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    as Mikee says, the closest ball to the cue ball is the "snookering ball" so if that is the Black, then it is a foul (unless only Pink and Black on the table )
                    If the second ball is exactly the same distance from the cue ball as the Black it is still considered a Foul as BOTH balls are then considered as "snookering ball".
                    I had this situation yesterday, not a tournament match but friendly play.
                    Only colours left on the table, after i made a foul friend nominates Brown and i end up being snookered on yellow by the brown, brown is closest to the cueball.
                    It is clear that this is a foul but how do you proceed apart from foul 4?
                    I can put the opponent back in from where it is or i can again nominate a free ball?

If i put the opponent back in he can't take a free ball but has to get the yellow, correct?

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post

I had this situation yesterday, not a tournament match but friendly play.
                      Only colours left on the table, after i made a foul friend nominates Brown and i end up being snookered on yellow by the brown, brown is closest to the cueball.
                      It is clear that this is a foul but how do you proceed apart from foul 4?
                      I can put the opponent back in from where it is or i can again nominate a free ball?

If i put the opponent back in he can't take a free ball but has to get the yellow, correct?
                      All three

You can play yourself or put the opponent in to play the cue ball from where it lies.
                      It is a snooker after a foul so a free ball will be called and YOU have this option.
                      You do not mention but a Miss could also be called and so you could have the option to replace the balls and opponent tries again, your choice.

Note: Just to confirm "brown is closest to the cue ball" AND is snookering the cue ball from the object ball.

Edit (as per post below): A Miss would not be called in the OP scenario as the Brown was hit first; only mentioning that a Miss COULD be called if the scenario pertains
                      Last edited by DeanH; 29 December 2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks Dean,
                        i don't see how it could be a miss as he nominated brown as free ball and he did not fail to hit it.

We solved it by giving me 4 points and i let him play again to hit yellow ,which seems correct.

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
                          Thanks Dean,
                          i don't see how it could be a miss as he nominated brown as free ball and he did not fail to hit it.

We solved it by giving me 4 points and i let him play again to hit yellow ,which seems correct.
                          you are correct - in your scenario no Miss would be called as the brown was hit first; I meant to say that in other scenarios a Miss COULD be called as one of the options after the foul. I did not mean specifically in your scenario

Your outcome was correct

edit: post above edited to clarify Miss option.
                          Last edited by DeanH; 29 December 2022, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Yes, if you're awarded a free ball and you choose black, pocketing it but also snookering your opponent behind another color unintentionally, it's considered a foul. Your opponent receives penalty points equal to the value of the highest value ball snookered behind.

Comment

Working...
                            X