Miss rule must die

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss rule must die

Delete the miss rule, except when you can see a full ball on, no miss called if in snookers required situation as at present. Seven point penalty for any foul irrespective of which colour is involved
    However most radically allow 'tactical deliberate fouls/misses' if snookered, eg if snookered you may opt to trickle the cue ball a few inches rather than attempt to get out of a snooker, giving away 7 points of course, option for opponent to play or go again as at present.
    I think the 'free table' or 'ball in hand' after 3 misses would not be a good idea.

Agree..

That´s why i love brazilian snooker rule, take a look:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OygvtYaKrF0

Noel making 112, maximum of that rule.:snooker:

Comment

the miss rule was one of the best things that happened to snooker and increased the skill level. Going back to the day where you can just miss a ball getting out off a snooker and leaving the white on the cush should never come back
      Long live the miss rule

Comment

Agree with Caz but think awarding 7 for any foul is a good idea .

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
          the miss rule was one of the best things that happened to snooker and increased the skill level. Going back to the day where you can just miss a ball getting out off a snooker and leaving the white on the cush should never come back
          Long live the miss rule
          agree but more common sense should be used in aplying the rule.

many times ive thought christ thats a hard snooker to get out of and the player got very close to the ball a miss was called 30 points later he got there left a ball on frame over.

saying miss on every snooker is just wrong and should be addressed but i agree that glancing escape that misses by a mile would be worth the 7 points.

Comment

The problem with "misses by a mile is worth 7 points" is a problem because it introduces another imaginary line where someone has to call if it's just over a mile or just under.

I would still like to see, after 3 misses have been called (12 points given away assuming all are 4-pointers), the oncoming player has the choice of having the balls replaced or taking the 4 points - but can't do both.

I think it would give the oncoming player more to think about than just keep having it replaced.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
              The problem with "misses by a mile is worth 7 points" is a problem because it introduces another imaginary line where someone has to call if it's just over a mile or just under.

I would still like to see, after 3 misses have been called (12 points given away assuming all are 4-pointers), the oncoming player has the choice of having the balls replaced or taking the 4 points - but can't do both.

I think it would give the oncoming player more to think about than just keep having it replaced.
              yes but thats the responsibility of a referee same with football they are in control of that match so their discretion should be called on.

im not a believer in a blanket rule when it comes to refereeing a match.

Comment

what about soemthing like, for the first 3 misses of a snooker...it 4 points...then obviously if your continually missing the snooker at 3 attempts, its obviously a hard one, then maybe if you miss again it should be foul 2 points insteead....at least that way you've gained 12 points, but could still gain quite a few if your opponent continues to miss?
                what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                  yes but thats the responsibility of a referee same with football they are in control of that match so their discretion should be called on.

I appreciate where you are coming from. But it seems unnecessary to me to have a second borderline - i.e the one we already have (whether or not to call Miss) and another one whether it's a mile out or not.

As long as the amateur game plays the current Miss rule as it is written rather than as the referees are instructed to in the professional game, there is no problem.

Comment

The referees have the discretion now, yet most people on here are saying the refs are too harsh applying the miss rule as it is.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                      I appreciate where you are coming from. But it seems unnecessary to me to have a second borderline - i.e the one we already have (whether or not to call Miss) and another one whether it's a mile out or not.

As long as the amateur game plays the current Miss rule as it is written rather than as the referees are instructed to in the professional game, there is no problem.
                      My opinion is that snooker should have exactly the same rules at all levels whether at the crucible or a friendly knock about at the local club, with no grey areas. The problem with the miss is that in local league it is often a matter of opinion whether miss or not, and many do not play the rule at all, in our league it is enforced strictly. I believe that as in original post experiment perhaps in one or two tournaments at least delete miss except for when a full ball on is seen, unless snookers required by either player. The 7 point suggestion for all fouls was to make it a little less beneficial to miss, and the deliberate foul is simply a tactical option, which players would rarely use as 7 pts away, but it is same for all and would put an interesting tactical edge on frames. I am sure that after numerous frames any anomalis would become apparent. I hope some professionals and the powers that be read these forums for ideas, but then what is our opinions worth.

Comment

Originally Posted by best1966 View Post
                        The referees have the discretion now, yet most people on here are saying the refs are too harsh applying the miss rule as it is.
                        the refs are now aplying the miss rule on the way they think other refs are going to aply it so there is no discretion involved in it.

if jan verhass watching eirian williams aply the miss rule he is going to aply it in the same way and on and on. it does not matter if he agrees with the decition or not.

what im saying is forget what others think aply rules in your own way as leniant or as tough as you want but do it your way and in a fair way.

its almost as if the refs dont want the responsability of making judgement calls.

Comment

agree but more common sense should be used in aplying the rule.

many times ive thought christ thats a hard snooker to get out of and the player got very close to the ball a miss was called 30 points later he got there left a ball on frame over.

saying miss on every snooker is just wrong and should be addressed but i agree that glancing escape that misses by a mile would be worth the 7 points.
                          so the main reason why lately people want the miss rule to be adjusted is that it is possible to obtain too many points by laying a good snooker, or lay a snooker onto somebody who is not that good at getting out of them?
                          and this might lead to a serious advantage to winning a frame by snookering the other instead of potting the balls by the player himself/herself?
                          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Working...
                          X