Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot figure this Forum out! but just need a simple answer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot figure this Forum out! but just need a simple answer.

Player scratches. Red or colored ball. Cue ball is placed in the D. What is the proper protocol for shooting the next ball? I have seen three "rules" of play off the net. What is the proper course of action. I know they vary, but got to get some relief here.

Don't really understand your question ???
    The player coming to the table can either just play a red as normal, or if he's snookered will have a "free ball" meaning he can pot a colour as an additional red, or if he doesn't like the situation can make the other player play again from the D (but he doesn't get a free ball)
    Hope thats what you meant

Comment

The question is a little bit hard to understand.

When a player 'scratches' which in snooker is usually called 'in-off' and the cueball goes into a pocket then the incoming player has what's called 'ball in hand' and can place the cueball inside the 'D' and play the ball that's 'on' no matter where it is.

I know in pool a player is not allowed to play an object ball which is inside the baulkline however in snooker this rule doesn't apply.

To try and answer completely, if there are reds left on the table then the incoming player must play a red as the ball 'on' or if he is snookered on all red balls then he gets to nominate a free ball which would likely be a brown ball if it's on spot to the middle pocket. If there are no reds left on the table then the ball 'on' is the lowest value coloured ball or again if he is snookered on that ball then he gets to nomimate a free ball.

There are no other rules governing this as the rules as written are very clear on what happens when a player has 'ball-in-hand'

Terry
      Terry Davidson
      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        I know in pool a player is not allowed to play an object ball which is inside the baulkline however in snooker this rule doesn't apply.
        The game of English Billiards certainly prohibits playing at a ball in baulk from in hand, although English 8-ball pool rules (at least World Rules) *don't* prevent playing a ball in baulk.

Comment

Working...
        X