TSB - Rules Change & comments by Alan Chamberlain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSB - Rules Change & comments by Alan Chamberlain

A few days ago it was announced on WorldSnooker.com that some minor changes have been made to the rules, see these changes below; But first a brief word from Alan Chamberlain Firstly, may I say that the revision of *the Rules of Snooker and English Billiards is on-going, as are the rules of any sport. ... Continue Reading

Click to read on TSB

Some welcome clarifications there, particularly the exact wording of the end of a stroke. This will remove the old chestnut of an oncoming player striking the cue-ball before all balls are at rest and the referee having to replace the balls, which made the referee look silly when enforcing it or preventing him from playing.

I'm not sure about the "difference equal" part of the Miss rule. This seems to be a change in that, where before, the Miss wasn't called if the difference was, say, 36 with one red left, it now won't be called when 35 is the difference.

But I've only had a quick look at it and it would be best waiting till it can be read in full context.

Comment

the new wording doesn't seem to clarify the ball-on for the non-offending player after the striker fouls a ball while preparing to play the stroke..

now it clearly states that...
      1) "(d) After the cue-ball has been replaced under this Rule, and the striker fouls any ball, including the cue-ball while preparing to play a stroke, a miss will not be called if a stroke has not been played. In this case the appropriate penalty will be imposed; and the ball on shall be the same as prior to the last stroke made, namely:"
      2) "(iv) the next player may elect to play the stroke himself or ask the offender to play again from the position left; or"

so that seems to suggest that if a striker fouls the balls after being called a miss while on a colour, the next player to come in, if he decides to play the shot himself, that he would be on a COLOUR?!

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post
        the new wording doesn't seem to clarify the ball-on for the non-offending player after the striker fouls a ball while preparing to play the stroke..

1) "(d) After the cue-ball has been replaced under this Rule, and the striker fouls any ball, including the cue-ball while preparing to play a stroke, a miss will not be called if a stroke has not been played. In this case the appropriate penalty will be imposed; and the ball on shall be the same as prior to the last stroke made, namely:"
        2) "(iv) the next player may elect to play the stroke himself or ask the offender to play again from the position left; or"

so that seems to suggest that if a striker fouls the balls after being called a miss while on a colour, the next player to come in, if he decides to play the shot himself, that he would be on a COLOUR?!
        That's an interesting point you make here. Haven't noticed this little change. I would agree with your thoughts.

Comment

Originally Posted by lk8 View Post

That is exactly what I spotted when I studied the rule changes just now. It is obvious to anybody who plays snooker but not to anybody who has just started to play, it could cause confusion. Although, the non-offender is starting a new turn at the table and the ball on in this case is made clear in Section 3 Rule 3 (e). As you say, it could be made clearer in the amended rule but generally I think the rule changes are good and should be welcome in that it at least made some clarifications despite the confusions caused now in the rule mentioned above.

bongo

Comment

Working...
          X