TSB - RIP Chris Turner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSB - RIP Chris Turner

It is sad that I have to relay the news of Chris Turner’s passing on Sunday, I have just spoken with is son’s Mike *and Alan on the telephone today who are obviously shocked at their fathers sudden death, a message from the family is below. It is with deep sadness that I have to more .....

Click to read on TSB

Remember Chris from the earliest days of alt.sport.snooker where he was always looking for the most obscure statistics you could imagine. It used to drive us crackers searching for the Ukranian womens amateur champion from 1941. He had an encyclopedian knowledge and made some great posts. A true record keeper of the game. RIP.
    Whoever said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" was an arsehole.

Comment

Chris Turner

6 February 1944 - 30 October 2011

He will be sadly and fondly missed by all of us.
      Condolences to his family.

RIP
      Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
      Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Mignon View Post

Chris Turner

6 February 1944 - 30 October 2011

He will be sadly and fondly missed by all of us.
        Condolences to his family.

RIP
        There's a story behind that photo of Chris. Because of all the stats he'd accumulated the (then) TSN invited Chris to be a guest at the Regal Masters in Motherwell and that's the Regal Masters trophy he's holding. An obscure fact he garnered during that week was how many tubs of pringles Darren Morgan could balance on his head.
        I will miss Chris immensely. We've worked together since the early days of alt.sport.snooker and I still don't know who the 1941 Ukrainain Ladies champion was!
        Janie Watkins
        On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
        All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

Originally Posted by fateric View Post
          Remember Chris from the earliest days of alt.sport.snooker where he was always looking for the most obscure statistics you could imagine. It used to drive us crackers searching for the Ukranian womens amateur champion from 1941. He had an encyclopedian knowledge and made some great posts. A true record keeper of the game. RIP.
          good to see the "heed" is still around. ASS was the forerunner of all today's forums and blogs.
          Janie Watkins
          On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
          All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

This thread unfortunately disappeared too soon. Chris Turners great efforts with keeping up the statistics will be missed. RIP.
            ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
            "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Just to let everybody know that we are moving Chris's website onto one of my servers over the Christmas period and by the start of The Masters all of the statistics will again be up to date.

As you can imagine Chris had loads of excel files on his computer and it has taken some time to trawl through the 28 meg of files to get them in order and up to date.

Some years ago Chris asked for me to automate his On This Day database which we done on Eirian Williams's website when it was up and running, this we will be bringing back and also we will be finishing off the updates to the website we have been working on with Chris over the past 2 years.

You will see added functionality on the site like Facebook & Twitter integration's, a new Twitter account which will also Tweet the On This Day data and there will also be new graphical data on the site to make analysing the data easier at a glance.

I have had a few emails form people wanting to help keep the site updated which is greatly appreciated and I will be in contact with people shortly, the main job that I can see people helping with is really just checking the data that has been entered after each event to make sure no mistakes were made during the data entry stage.

Comment

Chris was the Only Statto who publically gave snooker stats that i know of and he will be sorely missed he was the man who helped me start statistics on snooker a true gentleman aswell

on the centuries list anyone who wants updating on there Michael Holt, Ian M,cCulloch and Nigel Bond have all made it to 100 because i can only get my stats from live scoring and have no access to scorecards my stats may be a bit inaccurate (live scoring reguarly breaks down in PTCs and never shows ptc prelim centurys which also count towards peoples professional totals
                Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                  Chris was the Only Statto who publically gave snooker stats that i know of and he will be sorely missed he was the man who helped me start statistics on snooker a true gentleman aswell

on the centuries list anyone who wants updating on there Michael Holt, Ian M,cCulloch and Nigel Bond have all made it to 100 because i can only get my stats from live scoring and have no access to scorecards my stats may be a bit inaccurate (live scoring reguarly breaks down in PTCs and never shows ptc prelim centurys which also count towards peoples professional totals
                  I have just sent you a email, have a read and get back to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X