X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FerruleFox
    replied
    Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
    My worry is that China doesn't produce a world champion in the next 3-5 years (as good as Ding is, there's no guarantee he will even win the WC) and the game starts to lose its popularity over there. Considering how many tournaments are going over to China, that could be the death blow to snooker if it happened. We are kind of dependent on them now we have committed so much.

And the other young Chinese players? Yeah, some good ones, but I don't see a possible future world champion (aside from Ding). Do you?
    I'm not sure they need a world champ in the near future. As long as they can keep getting a few players through the qualifiers to create a little drama at the Crucible, I bet the game will be strong there.

Hell, the Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a Cup in almost 50 years and yet it's probably the richest franchise in the NHL!
    (people here are retarded)

Leave a comment:

• FOXMULDER
    replied
    Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
    It's too bad he's not promoting snooker over there though.
    I think Barry Hearn's got that covered. He's doing a fine job in that respect, even though I don't support all his decisions.

My worry is that China doesn't produce a world champion in the next 3-5 years (as good as Ding is, there's no guarantee he will even win the WC) and the game starts to lose its popularity over there. Considering how many tournaments are going over to China, that could be the death blow to snooker if it happened. We are kind of dependent on them now we have committed so much.

And the other young Chinese players? Yeah, some good ones, but I don't see a possible future world champion (aside from Ding). Do you?

On Hendry - I'm sure I've heard him say over the years that he doesn't like pool. Clearly, it's a financial move. Can't see him doing it for very long. And yes, despite all his valid reasons, I do think he retired 12-24 months too early. All he was lacking was confidence, and a Quarter Final at the WC could have set him up nicely for next season...

Leave a comment:

• thelongbomber
    replied
    Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    No, no, this couldn't possibly be it. What longbomber posted is kind of casual past time game variant for ordinary American pool. I couldn't imagine something like this being popular anywhere in the world.

I've read somewhere on AZbilliards board that this Chinese pool thing basically 8ball that is played on 9ft table with snooker cut pockets and possibly snooker like napped cloth. Not sure about ball dimensions or colours. Yellows and reds or solids and stripes? No idea, but whatever the game really looks like, I'm sure Hendry is pretty good at it.
    Well, if that's the case, then it's not so bad at all.

Leave a comment:

• Giggity1984
    replied
    I don't know why he would want to promote that. I agree that he should do American 8 or 9 ball and smash them at that. Hell he could properly dominate uk8ball for the rest of his days! I couldn't stop laughing throughout that video. Lol.

Leave a comment:

• ace man
    replied
    No, no, this couldn't possibly be it. What longbomber posted is kind of casual past time game variant for ordinary American pool. I couldn't imagine something like this being popular anywhere in the world.

I've read somewhere on AZbilliards board that this Chinese pool thing basically 8ball that is played on 9ft table with snooker cut pockets and possibly snooker like napped cloth. Not sure about ball dimensions or colours. Yellows and reds or solids and stripes? No idea, but whatever the game really looks like, I'm sure Hendry is pretty good at it.

Leave a comment:

• Blanchon147
    replied
    Wow that looks terrible, hope they are paying him a lot.

Leave a comment:

• grimreaper
    replied
    Good luck to him has to make a living.

Leave a comment:

• FerruleFox
    replied
    If he's making good money then good for him for profiting off his reputation.

It's too bad he's not promoting snooker over there though.

Leave a comment:

• thelongbomber
    replied
    I think it's a cruel and sadistic joke he is leaving snooker for that. Blasphemy!

Leave a comment:

• jrc750
    replied
    Looks a terrible game. Surely you have to pot them in some sort of order or else too easy

Leave a comment:

• Tred
    replied
    Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
    I think I found it. He must be getting paid a lot of money to represent it. It's definitely a very watchable game that I think could do well on television. It does look challenging.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_eight-ball
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz84X-WrhLY
    Thanks for digging that out! Watched the youtube video, it started out well but then went downhill.

FWIW, I can't see it catching on. For me anyway, it combines the worse parts of 8-ball and billiards not the best. I can't see it being played in pubs as it'll take too long to play a game (although I suppose that might be a good way of getting VFM on a coin-operated table).

I'd be interested to see how well Hendry plays it. But then again, I'd be far more interested in seeing him play billiards, 9-ball or carom...

He really left snooker for this? What a waste! They must be paying him a fortune!!! At least if he took up 9-ball he could be a top player, I just don't see this catching on..

Leave a comment:

• thelongbomber
    replied
    Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
    Any chance of a link to what this chinese pool actually is? I cant find anything online at all. Or does anyone know the rules, balls used, table used etc?

Or is it just 9 ball?
    I think I found it. He must be getting paid a lot of money to represent it. It's definitely a very watchable game that I think could do well on television. It does look challenging.

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_eight-ball
    Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz84X-WrhLY

Leave a comment:

• Chrisbatty77
    replied
    I know what Chinese Snooker is. My jammy mate does it often enough but Chinese pool is a new one on me

Leave a comment:

• Tred
    replied
    Originally Posted by Deepscrew View Post
    Any chance of a link to what this chinese pool actually is? I cant find anything online at all. Or does anyone know the rules, balls used, table used etc?

Or is it just 9 ball?
    I was wondering the same thing myself, I thought I heard someone mention that it is a form of 8-ball...
    Last edited by Tred; 8 May 2012, 09:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deepscrew
    replied

Or is it just 9 ball?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X