TSB - O’Sullivan hints at retirement despite final berth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I've always felt that Ronnie will go out with a bang. He wouldn't want to do a Hendry and retire simply because he can't win anymore. Winning this title in the manner in which he has played would be the perfect end to his career. Playing arguably his most consistant stuff will be a great way to remember him as a player. It would give him a great feeling too, to finish on the ultimate high note and I'm sure something that would put to rest his demons within the game.
    But playing his most consistent stuff, if he wins this Final and then retires... will he not be left thinking could I have won another?
    This is the problem with retiring from a professional sport like snooker, that is not all about age and fitness, Until you have like, Hendry, White and Davis, played on for a number of years you do not know that you can not win again. By which time you are just retiring as another player who can no longer perform.

The big question is if Ronnie wins this year, does Ronnie believe he has a 5th world title in him? a 5th UK Championship?

If he does believe that, he will carry on. If he does not believe it, the he will retire as World Champion and whilst performing as The best player in the world.

Comment

Well i cannot say i'm surprised, what with Hearns new regime i think it would be very hard on him and he has to think of his health.

Did he not say earlier in the week that he was fined for being ill? bit harsh Barry wsa dont yah think????

Ali also hinted in a post match interview think it was after Judd something along the lines of 'wouldnt it be nice to go out WChamp' or something?

Barry is so sharp he might just cut himself it was said in a clip about tonights docu on Barry that 'he did not care what the players think' by Hendry.
      Ok,..... but does he care about the fans? How many more of our favs are going to jump ship.????

So the final consists of two players who may retire when its over ??????

Comment

Originally Posted by debs View Post
        Did he not say earlier in the week that he was fined for being ill? bit harsh Barry wsa dont yah think????

Ok,..... but does he care about the fans? How many more of our favs are going to jump ship.????

So the final consists of two players who may retire when its over ??????
        I believe he said he had received another letter threatening disciplinary action because he had missed 12 tournaments, and that he has received a fine for one of them despite being ill. Did Selby get fined for pulling out of one with back problems?

I think both Ronnie and Ali are looking to retire and their performance this week is reflecting that. I am sure Ronnie came into the tournament with this mind set though and these intentions long before Hendry announced his retirement.

Comment

There is no doubt that for players that suffer with their health are going to have to think very hard about their continued participation on the MT. It seems Hearn has made life very difficult for players now, he is all about the money, fining players through disciplinary action because they miss tournaments is just not on. Especially now with a tour that gives the players just a couple of weeks off a year is asking for trouble. These players will end up burnt out from the travelling and demands of the game and many, especially those with families or other commitments may well find themselves with no choice but to quit the game unless Hearn can be more accomodating to those that only want to play when they can.

Comment

There is no doubt that for players that suffer with their health are going to have to think very hard about their continued participation on the MT. It seems Hearn has made life very difficult for players now, he is all about the money, fining players through disciplinary action because they miss tournaments is just not on. Especially now with a tour that gives the players just a couple of weeks off a year is asking for trouble. These players will end up burnt out from the travelling and demands of the game and many, especially those with families or other commitments may well find themselves with no choice but to quit the game unless Hearn can be more accomodating to those that only want to play when they can.
            Hearn is just trying to force the veterans into retirement. I don't think Higgins and Williams will be around for too long with this schedule, either.
            In reality, I can't really see how a family man can handle such a brutal calendar. It's more like the tennis tour. But in tennis, your career is pretty much over at 30 (in terms of effectiveness, exceptions left out), and it's such a young age, very suitable to start and take care of your own family.
            Interestingly, Hearn is trying to push snooker players into a state of lone. Maybe he is thinking of them as prisoned circus stars.
            All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

It makes no sense when most players in the current Top 16 are 30 or over. Ask Neil Robertson how long it took him to develop a good break building and tactical game. It's insane to categorize snooker as a "young man's game" and suppress the development of younger players into better, more rounded professionals. If there are so many tournaments and prize money what is going to motivate the younger players to practice and improve?
              sigpic
              Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

Barry Hearn is a genius and will make good on his promise to grow the game.

It's amazing the notion that snooker players be entitled to a comfortable lifestyle without having to travel like athletes in other individual sports. They have been spoiled for the last 25 years and haven't noticed that the game is floundering in the UK, for whatever reason.

Maybe they would be happier just getting a real job like most people who live in the real world. Or, if they're financially able, just retiring altogether. But all this whining is pathetic.

Comment

I dont think ronnie will retire, as much as the game frustrates him and as much as he does not seem to like the new busy schedule i dont think he could live without snooker.He still gets a massive buzz playing and i am sure deep down he feels he still has alot to offer the game.It would be absolute madness if he were to retire especially if he wins a fourth world title and playing the best snooker ive seen him play for some years, as much as we all get frustrated ourselves with his constant threats and moans i cant imagine snooker being the same without him.
                  " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
                    Barry Hearn is a genius and will make good on his promise to grow the game.

No Barry Hearn is a promoter of sports who is very good at taking a product and selling it, thus creating more tournaments for the players and more prize money, but more importantly to Barry, large wealth for himself.

It's amazing the notion that snooker players be entitled to a comfortable lifestyle without having to travel like athletes in other individual sports. They have been spoiled for the last 25 years and haven't noticed that the game is floundering in the UK, for whatever reason.

That is because they are not athletes and have never pretended to be. The difference with other sports is, they have pretty much always been played across the globe, so naturally because of the added competition it has always been the case that they have to travel, however financially its been more viable for them as there is lot more money in most other sports in comparison, golf, tennis, football etc. The players haven't been spoiled at all, having 5 ranking tournaments a year at one point is hardly enjoyable.

Maybe they would be happier just getting a real job like most people who live in the real world. Or, if they're financially able, just retiring altogether. But all this whining is pathetic.
                    Most players have had to turn their hands to other things. Quite a few own other business interests and I know about 5 MT players who work when they can just so they can continue to fund their snooker. The players are living in the real world, some have alternative opportunities.

Comment

Most players have had to turn their hands to other things. Quite a few own other business interests and I know about 5 MT players who work when they can just so they can continue to fund their snooker. The players are living in the real world, some have alternative opportunities.
                      Not sure why you're painting Barry as the bad guy for wanting to share in the prosperity he's attempting to build for the game. Win-win is the only arrangement that works...it aligns both parties in the same direction. If he can increase players' purses and create a full season of events for fans, why shouldn't he be compensated?

Do you work for free?

And yes, players in the UK have been spoiled. It's sponsorship money that pays the bills and UK sponsors have either been squeezed out of the game (ie, tobacco) or have simply decided they would rather be involved in other sports. If the only new financing to be found is Asian, then suck it up and take advantage of their interest. Get on a plane like all the overseas players have for the last 3 decades who chased their dreams to the UK.

In short, lose the sense of entitlement. The snooker market has changed.

Comment

It does make me laugh... The rest of us have to get up early every day and go to work... and there's 36 year old millionaire Ronnie o'Sullivan talking about retirement because he doesn't like the schedule!

Yes, I appreciate that he travels a lot more than most of us and wants to be with his family more often, but how many weeks does he get off per year including a 2 month break in the summer? He certainly gets a lot more free time than most people do.

Comment

Just a final point on this, Judd tweeted after the China Open or was it the tournament in China a month before that he barely broke even despite making it to the quarter finals what with the price of travel, accomodation, food etc. So don't make out that there are riches to be had from the game when you are having to fly around the world. Air travel has gone up massively over the past 18 months and so to the cost of living but these tournaments are not paying out huge sums of money and there is no guarantee of success. Some players will actually be paying to stay as a professional, how is that right? With the tour increasing to 128 it is only going to mean less money to go around and personally I think Hearn is pulling the wool over many peoples eyes here. Only the elite players will really make a living out of this game, and that isn't due to prize money but the sponsorship which they can attract.

Comment

Just a final point on this, Judd tweeted after the China Open or was it the tournament in China a month before that he barely broke even despite making it to the quarter finals what with the price of travel, accomodation, food etc. So don't make out that there are riches to be had from the game when you are having to fly around the world. Air travel has gone up massively over the past 18 months and so to the cost of living but these tournaments are not paying out huge sums of money and there is no guarantee of success. Some players will actually be paying to stay as a professional, how is that right? With the tour increasing to 128 it is only going to mean less money to go around and personally I think Hearn is pulling the wool over many peoples eyes here. Only the elite players will really make a living out of this game, and that isn't due to prize money but the sponsorship which they can attract.
                            The prize money is still increasing.

People have unrealistic expectations if they expect the rewards from snooker to match golf or tennis overnight. It takes time to build any business model.

Comment

Originally Posted by FerruleFox View Post
                              The prize money is still increasing.

People have unrealistic expectations if they expect the rewards from snooker to match golf or tennis overnight. It takes time to build any business model.
                              Very true but do you not feel like Barry Hearn has tried to make it too big too soon and i mean this by having all these events all over the world but not really having the big money to back it up? i understand that it takes time to build a product but i cant help but feel Hearn has not really given it time to grow it has all been a bit rushed and i feel this is why so many of the top players can't adjust to the schedule because they are just quite simply not used to it.
                              " and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green. "

Comment

Originally Posted by craig147 View Post
                                Very true but do you not feel like Barry Hearn has tried to make it too big too soon and i mean this by having all these events all over the world but not really having the big money to back it up? i understand that it takes time to build a product but i cant help but feel Hearn has not really given it time to grow it has all been a bit rushed and i feel this is why so many of the top players can't adjust to the schedule because they are just quite simply not used to it.
                                Hearn is definitely ambitious but I think I understand what's he's trying to accomplish.

Sponsors want to see viewership numbers before they will commit, and it takes time to increase any sport's fan base. Snooker needs to be very visible on a regular basis in order to attract the mainstream sports fan. Unfortunately you can't create fans out of thin air. Therefore there's an order of events to achieve growth:

1. Keep snooker visible by having more events, especially in the desired new markets.
                                2. This will increase the fan base and related viewership numbers.
                                3. Then you can negotiate new/better sponsorship deals based on this larger target market for advertisers (more lucrative prize money).

The hard work comes before the payoff, like with anything else in life. Did players in the EPL always make a gazillion euros? (or whatever they get paid in)

Comment

Working...
                                X