No announcement yet.

TSB - Ronnie O’Sullivan Statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was very sad when Alex Higgins chose to ruin his life and game, but it was down to him. To have the head honcho at World Snooker destroy the career of the greatest player ever, is beyond the pale. Massive loss. Millions will switch off watching and attending now. Well done Bazza, you just killed the golden goose.
    Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
      I think we could all club together for a guillotine there mate. I'm in.
      remember the state snooker was in before he took over though...........
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I do, and I didn't mind it. It's not just about the money, it's about the players and the snooker. The snooker wasn't any worse, and I think that this schedule could burn folk out, or make them play even more boringly. Yeah, we don't want to reduce the tour down to 6 tournaments, and have no sponsors, but a balance has to be struck between keeping the sport alive and all out greed. What they should do, is maybe split the world into zones, like most sports do, then invite the best from each zone to the Worlds, with Europe and Asia obviously sending more folk. That way, players wouldn't have to play ridiculous number of tournaments, nor spend all their time travelling. A European tour, an Asian/Australasian tour, A N/S. American tour. Golf does it, so why not snooker?
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
          remember the state snooker was in before he took over though...........
          I know there were not enough tournaments and there was not enough money, however the standard of snooker was as good, it is the same players, the same entertainment and the same sport.

I don't really remember there being that much talk or moaning about the sport being dead until Barry came along and said it was... and then offered to fix it.

Comment

they were down to either 5 or 6 comps a year, that's not a sport it's a hobby.

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              they were down to either 5 or 6 comps a year, that's not a sport it's a hobby.
              There were a few "pro" snooker players doing 50+ hrs in their taxis to make ends meet.

Comment

People seem to have very short memories, snooker was almost dead till Barry came along, give him a knighthood
                I agree you shouldn't have to play in every tourny tho, but by eck if your good enough there's some good money to be won right now

Comment

Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong View Post
                  There were a few "pro" snooker players doing 50+ hrs in their taxis to make ends meet.
                  correct i personally know of at least three main tour players who were going to give it up and join the police / work in a bank and be a sales guy for a brewer.

Comment

Just because the ppl running snooker prior to BH does not mean Barry is some kind of god. Just means the sport was in the wrong hands for a long time. Snooker still has a good image and there is no reason why sponsorship would not have come in if anyone half decent got there finger out and put some hard work in. Barry new this when he stepped in.

Comment

Not only did nobody force the players to vote for Hearn, the only guy who claimed he had a credible alternative didn't even bother to show up at a the meeting. If snooker was there for the taking, I think it showed nobody else wanted it.

I have no great issue with any of this - I love Ronnie and it's a shame he won't be at some, maybe all tournaments this season. But it's about time he had a rest and gave himself time to miss playing, and it's entirely his decision, not Barry Hearn's. I haven't seen the new contract(or any contract) so perhaps there will be things I would blame Hearn for, but overall, the guy has transformed the sport in less than 2 years - it's raining money again, sponsors are in no short supply, we have a new venue for the Masters, the Uk has moved back to the gorgeous city of York, he's stopped the endless will-they-won't-they go to China with the Crucible, he's broken into emerging markets like Australia and he's instilled some discipline, it's amazing.

On the downside, I dislike the fact he slashed the frames of the UK without giving it a fair chance, and I dislike that I've been forced to buy tickets for a tournament before having the faintest idea who's playing, but otherwise, that's about all I have.

Comment

Really disappointing not seeing Ronnie compete.

I think it's a catch 22.

If Barry let's players pick and choose events, then only the top events will get sponsors and funding because the top players will choose to participate. On the other hand, if nearly all major ranking events are required attendance, then Hearn can more easily attract sponsors knowing that Ronnie and the top players will be there. We might believe it's easy enough to solve this by telling sponsors that "you put up the money, and the top players will come", but sponsors are probably saying "you bring the top players, and then we will show you the money."

Tough situation Hearn and the players are facing. They all want to make money and probably pick and choose events, but I suspect sponsors aren't going to put up the big money (like golf), if the top players don't promise to participate first.
                        Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                        My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

Now we'll see how much snooker needs the guy. My guess is it'll survive without him. I also think he'll sign the contract before long, he's just making a statement here. Hopefully it'll do some good for the future arrangements to the calender, it seems badly organised at the moment.

Comment

At the end of the day Ronnie only acting like a spoiled brat 1 man is not bigger than the game no matter who. If he and others dont like get a real job .

Comment

How will the sport survive without Ronnie? Officials will go un-assaulted. Matches will get completed without players leaving the arena in a huff. Players will actually try to make 147s. And who is going to make sexually suggestive comments to female journalist at press conferences? Who?

Comment

Look he just wants a holiday from the the media circus that surrounds him everytime he plays, but to do that he can't sign the players contract. As he's guaranteed to be #2 seed in all events he'll just wait until he's ready, sign the contract and play again without any need to pre qualify, or he might really enjoy his break and make it permanent. If he does quit then we have all seen him at his best and at his worst so nothing new is ever going to come from him and just like Alex Higgins he will be remembered for his talent not his achievements.
                                Some people really don't need to do it over and over and over and over again, like Motogp champion Casey Stoner who has just announced his retirement at age 27, Ronnie has nothing left to prove and has done all that he can with the game. At least we got to see just how well the game can be played and we should be thankful just for that five minutes and twenty seconds he gave us in '97.

Comment

Working...
                                X