Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSB - Joe Jogia handed 2 year ban by WPBSA Disciplinary Committee

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TSB - Joe Jogia handed 2 year ban by WPBSA Disciplinary Committee

    Article Source on The Snooker Blog

    The Disciplinary Committee of the WPBSA has today heard the case of Joe Jogia in relation to the suspicious betting patterns on his more .....

  • #2
    The title sounded harsh, but after reading the details, it's apparent, he was closely involved with those betting. Too bad, as Joe was an up and comer in the sport and would have represented Indian players in the sport.
    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Quite a heavy penalty considering they haven't proved anything. Compare this to Higgins, who was on video tape, ready to take the fall.
      Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

      Comment


      • #4
        If his name was john higgins, he would of got a few month ban during the summer months when no major events were taking place.

        Phone calls and text messages, and no sufficient evidence of financial gain, and he gets a very long ban?

        Higgins was on video, talking about property and investing, agreeing to fix matches, sure he even rang a betting office during the world final against murphy, hes as guilty as sin, dont care what anyone says....and he should of got a lifetime ban.

        But as i said...if jogia was a former world champion, he would of just got a slap on the wrist.
        Blown away

        Comment


        • #5
          Can he really be classed as an "up and comer", when he's the same age as (say) O'Sullivan and hasn't reached the last 16 of a ranking event?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AndrewB View Post
            Can he really be classed as an "up and comer", when he's the same age as (say) O'Sullivan and hasn't reached the last 16 of a ranking event?
            That's what I was thinking, he's around 36 and only starting to make tv stages of events. Does seem a harsh punishment though, if he was a bigger name in the game it probably wouldn't have been anywhere close to that.

            Comment


            • #7
              errr ... the WPBSA statement seems to me a bit totalitarian - their disciplinary committee may have found him guilty but he must have a right to appeal, mustn't he? their statement would, I think, be better balanced if they detailed his rights to contest their judgement ...

              and yes, the comparison with the treatment of "Honest John" are valid and pertinent ... John Higgins got a miniscule ban whereas Joe Jogia gets two years ... where's the common justice in that?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DandyA View Post
                errr ... the WPBSA statement seems to me a bit totalitarian - their disciplinary committee may have found him guilty but he must have a right to appeal, mustn't he? their statement would, I think, be better balanced if they detailed his rights to contest their judgement ...

                and yes, the comparison with the treatment of "Honest John" are valid and pertinent ... John Higgins got a miniscule ban whereas Joe Jogia gets two years ... where's the common justice in that?
                Perhaps the problem in snooker is the obsession of betting, e.g. Willie Thorne, who can give you odds on the next duck race at the drop of a hat. If Joe was injured, and his friends were texting him to find out, and bet against him, no problem. I bit shady, but he's not deliberately trying to lose. He pulled out anyway, so all bets were off I think?

                Jogia should go to CAS if he can. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty, but a certain level of proof is required and it doesn't appear to have been met.
                Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not really a 2 year ban .......he has to re-qualify to get back on the Tour .
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    For the lower ranked players its no wonder many of them turn to betting as there just isn't a living to be made in the game for those outside the 32, unless you are very lucky to come from a wealthy family.

                    I feel the punishment is very harsh, nothing has been proven, he pulled out of the tournament so the bets were voided so just exactly what is he being charged for! WSA seem to protect those they want to protect and the rest can go whistle. Joe has dedicated his life to playing snooker and just as he's coming into his peak years his career has been taken away from him, probably forever.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I think there is enough proof ......why can't he answer the fact he texted 2 people 33 and 42 times . He offers no explanation.

                      But does appear harsh when you compare it to the Scottish cheat .

                      I'm led to believe that his family are quite wealthy .
                      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        as I read the statement... two people he had no previous contact with before

                        Neil, as you say, it would take him probably 2-yrs to get back to the main tour would it not? so in essence a 4yr ban...

                        The statement does not say anything about his current World Ranking points?
                        Are these expunged or will they just drop him down the rankings as time passes?
                        Last edited by DeanH; 26th July 2012, 09:09 AM.
                        Up the TSF!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          From what i read Dean , he has to re-qualify in 2 years time .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by neil taperell View Post
                            From what i read Dean , he has to re-qualify in 2 years time .

                            Jogia isn't a big ticket item like Higgins, so they make an example of him. Law is an ass. Just look at how bankers get away with billions, but if you nick a loaf of bread in tesco, you could be up before the beek. Same by the WPSBA. It's always the small guys who get punished the hardest in life.
                            Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by cueman View Post
                              For the lower ranked players its no wonder many of them turn to betting as there just isn't a living to be made in the game for those outside the 32, unless you are very lucky to come from a wealthy family.

                              I feel the punishment is very harsh, nothing has been proven, he pulled out of the tournament so the bets were voided so just exactly what is he being charged for! WSA seem to protect those they want to protect and the rest can go whistle. Joe has dedicated his life to playing snooker and just as he's coming into his peak years his career has been taken away from him, probably forever.
                              its actually the top 48 who are guaranteed to be paid not just the 32
                              Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X