Leave a comment:

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    forgive the pun of him being of indian extraction but hes guilty as singh

Leave a comment:

• paddybhoy30
    replied
    TSB - Joe Jogia handed 2 year ban by WPBSA Disciplinary Committee

But the bet's were placed. That's were the infringement lies and it is traced back to jogia via the text messages.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Agree with that ........but neither party went through with the matches .

Leave a comment:

• paddybhoy30
    replied
    TSB - Joe Jogia handed 2 year ban by WPBSA Disciplinary Committee

No betting was placed on higgins matches. Bets had been in jogia's.

Leave a comment:

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    For the lower ranked players its no wonder many of them turn to betting as there just isn't a living to be made in the game for those outside the 32, unless you are very lucky to come from a wealthy family.

I feel the punishment is very harsh, nothing has been proven, he pulled out of the tournament so the bets were voided so just exactly what is he being charged for! WSA seem to protect those they want to protect and the rest can go whistle. Joe has dedicated his life to playing snooker and just as he's coming into his peak years his career has been taken away from him, probably forever.
    its actually the top 48 who are guaranteed to be paid not just the 32

Leave a comment:

• Particle Physics
    replied
    Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
    From what i read Dean , he has to re-qualify in 2 years time .

Jogia isn't a big ticket item like Higgins, so they make an example of him. Law is an ass. Just look at how bankers get away with billions, but if you nick a loaf of bread in tesco, you could be up before the beek. Same by the WPSBA. It's always the small guys who get punished the hardest in life.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    From what i read Dean , he has to re-qualify in 2 years time .

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    as I read the statement... two people he had no previous contact with before

Neil, as you say, it would take him probably 2-yrs to get back to the main tour would it not? so in essence a 4yr ban...

The statement does not say anything about his current World Ranking points?
    Are these expunged or will they just drop him down the rankings as time passes?
    Last edited by DeanH; 26 July 2012, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    I think there is enough proof ......why can't he answer the fact he texted 2 people 33 and 42 times . He offers no explanation.

But does appear harsh when you compare it to the Scottish cheat .

I'm led to believe that his family are quite wealthy .

Leave a comment:

• cueman
    replied
    For the lower ranked players its no wonder many of them turn to betting as there just isn't a living to be made in the game for those outside the 32, unless you are very lucky to come from a wealthy family.

I feel the punishment is very harsh, nothing has been proven, he pulled out of the tournament so the bets were voided so just exactly what is he being charged for! WSA seem to protect those they want to protect and the rest can go whistle. Joe has dedicated his life to playing snooker and just as he's coming into his peak years his career has been taken away from him, probably forever.

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Not really a 2 year ban .......he has to re-qualify to get back on the Tour .

Leave a comment:

• Particle Physics
    replied
    Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
    errr ... the WPBSA statement seems to me a bit totalitarian - their disciplinary committee may have found him guilty but he must have a right to appeal, mustn't he? their statement would, I think, be better balanced if they detailed his rights to contest their judgement ...

and yes, the comparison with the treatment of "Honest John" are valid and pertinent ... John Higgins got a miniscule ban whereas Joe Jogia gets two years ... where's the common justice in that?
    Perhaps the problem in snooker is the obsession of betting, e.g. Willie Thorne, who can give you odds on the next duck race at the drop of a hat. If Joe was injured, and his friends were texting him to find out, and bet against him, no problem. I bit shady, but he's not deliberately trying to lose. He pulled out anyway, so all bets were off I think?

Jogia should go to CAS if he can. I'm not saying he's innocent or guilty, but a certain level of proof is required and it doesn't appear to have been met.

Leave a comment:

• DandyA
    replied
    errr ... the WPBSA statement seems to me a bit totalitarian - their disciplinary committee may have found him guilty but he must have a right to appeal, mustn't he? their statement would, I think, be better balanced if they detailed his rights to contest their judgement ...

and yes, the comparison with the treatment of "Honest John" are valid and pertinent ... John Higgins got a miniscule ban whereas Joe Jogia gets two years ... where's the common justice in that?

Leave a comment:

• narl
    replied
    Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    Can he really be classed as an "up and comer", when he's the same age as (say) O'Sullivan and hasn't reached the last 16 of a ranking event?
    That's what I was thinking, he's around 36 and only starting to make tv stages of events. Does seem a harsh punishment though, if he was a bigger name in the game it probably wouldn't have been anywhere close to that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X