No announcement yet.

TSB - South West Snooker Academy Media Statement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pros who are complaining about 'home advantage' have the option of coming into the SWSA and would be able to practice all day for a nominal fee.

As a fan of the SWSA I would be interested in the results Ferret comes up with. For instance, what is the amount of amateur entry fees into the PTCs? Does SWSA really get to keep all those amateur entry fees? Who pays for the referees for the entire PTC, both amateur days Thursday/Friday and the last 128 on Sat/Sun? Does SWSA get streaming fees? (I watched it for free on-line).

When I played on the pro-am circuit in the 80's during the heydays of snooker there was a large pro-am somewhere in England or Wales virtually every weekend. A lot of them were organized by a woman named Carol (I believe) and I also remember she always did a bang-up job taking entry fees and contacting players. It would be really nice to see the SWSA holding multiple large pro-am tournaments or even just straight amateur tournaments however I think it would take some good sponsorship in order to generate the kind of prize money which would attract players. If they can keep the entry fees reasonable whilst having decent prize money then I think at least they would attract a lot of players from the south of England and Wales.

The one disadvantage I see, which as a Canadian is very hard for me to understand, is a lot of British players will not drive for up to 2hrs to play in a good tournament. Here in the Great White North I drive a minimum of 2hrs to ANY tournament and driving to Montreal takes around 7hrs or even worse when I drive to Nova Scotia for the Maritime Open it's a 22hr drive, but I do it since I think snooker needs as much support from the players as it can get (and they can afford of course).

When SWSA announce their methods of supporting the grass roots as the press release states I hope a lot of players will in turn support Paul Mount's efforts.

Terry
    Last edited by Terry Davidson; 13 August 2012, 12:50 PM.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

The pros who are complaining about 'home advantage' have the option of coming into the SWSA and would be able to practice all day for a nominal fee
      well of course it all depends on where they are based and of course they probably already have top practice conditions but one thing you can't actually recreate is the conditions of the place where the tournament is being held. Therefore those who do practice at the SWSA do have an advantage although how much of that translates into the home players being more victorious than those whod don't, I'm not so sure. Maguire won the first PTC and Gould the second and neither are based there so it does sound to me to be a bit of sour grapes.

Comment

Amateur entrance fee is £100 the same as the professionals, and the amateurs do not have the luxury of referees or any type of streaming.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
          on another TSF thread (I forget which but thanks to Souwester) we found out that the SWSA pays World Snooker £10,000 to host each PTC event ... World Snooker does recloth the tables included in that price ...

I guess SWSA's potential revenue streams are advertising from sponsors such as Peter's Pies and MIUS, gate money from visitors at £10 per day etc ... but it doesn't seem a good deal for the SWSA given their costs ...

btw, here's links to the SWSA sponsors I know about ... please take the time to visit their websites ...

Peter's Pies ... http://www.petersfood.co.uk/
          MIUS ... http://www.mius.org.uk/

hopefully, Janie or Sarah will let us know if there are other sponsors we should be supporting
          OK, so it's been well touted that SWSA pay £10k for the rights to host a PTC. There were what, about 70 amateurs for PTC2, so that's entry fees fo £7k. Quite a significant shortfall to be made up from ticket sales (small, I guess, judging by the public numbers there for the final of PTC1), food and bar sales, and practice facilities. And that's without the costs of extra staffing, and general overheads. Hardly surprising if SWSA don't think it's working for them.

Also important, though, is WS's funding of PTCs. Their income is £10k from SWSA plus what, maybe £10k from pro entries. The prize fund is £50k.

Comment

Plus whoever pays for the referees for the Sat/Sun. I don't know what referees are paid but assuming maybe 20GBP per match that's a bit of an expense too.

Terry
            Terry Davidson
            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
              Plus whoever pays for the referees for the Sat/Sun. I don't know what referees are paid but assuming maybe 20GBP per match that's a bit of an expense too.

Terry
              I'm fairly sure that the referees and TD are paid by WS rather than SWSA. I believe the pro referees are on a daily rate. However, last year and this, WS has advertised for amateur referees to come forward for experience and assessment at PTCs and Q-School, and certainly last year, weren't looking to remunerate them with anything other than some meagre expenses... maybe. The argument was, that those who were good enough could progress to proper paid work at bigger events. That's what I was told at the time, but whether that changed, I can't be sure.

Comment

It may not just be about money, as the statement says; honesty, integrity, working relationships etc. Sometimes, when a 'partner' is a flippin' nightmare, one just doesn't want to do business any more, it's not just about money, it's about hassle, grief, stress etc. I don't trust anything WS does, just as ROS doesn't either. They're a bunch of con artists and double dealers; Del boy, Rodney and Uncle Albert at the helm of snooker. Bazza speaks with a forked tongue; we all know this. So if SWSA have been duped by sweet talking Bazza, no surprise. I'm gonna have to make an effort to get to PTC3 and 4 now, as it's goodbye after that.
                Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Until some more details come out we are all guessing.My guess for what its worth{and that may not be much}is that Mr Mount is discovering like many before him for all his very good intentions,that snooker players and representatives are ungrateful *******s,and possibly it is time to try and recoup some of his investment without getting involved with the greedy and unrealistic majority of pro snooker players.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                    I don't trust anything WS does, just as ROS doesn't either. They're a bunch of con artists and double dealers
                    Source? .

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                      Source? .
                      Well, I could certainly recount several stories of broken promises from WS...

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                        Well, I could certainly recount several stories of broken promises from WS...
                        I hear ya, let's see what PP comes back with.

Comment

Originally Posted by the legend View Post
                          Until some more details come out we are all guessing.My guess for what its worth{and that may not be much}is that Mr Mount is discovering like many before him for all his very good intentions,that snooker players and representatives are ungrateful *******s,and possibly it is time to try and recoup some of his investment without getting involved with the greedy and unrealistic majority of pro snooker players.
                          Can I have the world for free, and I might just buy a pint tonight if you're lucky............

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                            I don't trust anything WS does, just as ROS doesn't either. They're a bunch of con artists and double dealers
                            Source? .
                            Last edited by Inoffthered; 13 August 2012, 11:05 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

Originally Posted by Inoffthered View Post
                              Source? .
                              Hearn concedes blackmailing players according to wiki
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Players_Tour_Championship

Comment

You probably have people that have never been in business and dont understand the basic principle that your
                                word is your bond!

Comment

Working...
                                X