Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSB - Ronnie withdraws from International Championships just months after sabbatical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    wont allow me to delete these posts
    Last edited by LittleMissAlexa; 29 October 2012, 07:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arbitrage
    replied
    Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
    technically they arent as non ranking means doesnt earn you ranking points ie the masters, the world seniors, premier league and championship league
    seriously?! do i have to explain this to you even after putting up an OFFICIAL WORLDSNOOKER.COM link showing which events they categorize as ranking (PTCs not included) and a BBC article explaining the tour mechanics & event categorization. FCS, learn how to surf websites and read english please.

Leave a comment:

• rimmer10
    replied
    was worth the trip mate. snooker was of very high standard and the beer in liverpool is cheap. on a more serious note, does anyone know what health problems ronnie's supposed to be suffering from?

Leave a comment:

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    Last edited by LittleMissAlexa; 29 October 2012, 06:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arbitrage
    replied
    did the bbc in that article state ptc as non ranking?
    http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/Tou.../RankingEvents
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17928559

technically, bbc is correct. the ptcs are considered to be separate events with ranking points carried but not ranking event status. they are sometimes listed as minor-ranking series which causes confusion
    Last edited by arbitrage; 28 October 2012, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sprogbasket
    replied
    Taxi for O;Sullivan....Taxi for O'Sullivan....goodbye, good riddance.

Leave a comment:

• wildJONESEYE
    replied
    Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
    Highlight of the night without a doubt was John Virgo. What a legend!
    must be a pretty **** night then.

Leave a comment:

• rimmer10
    replied
    travelled all the way up from bournemouth to liverpool to watch ronnie play jimmy white on thursday in the legends tour. ronny played well but looked like he could'nt be bothered with it all. think he fell out of love with the game IMO. Highlight of the night without a doubt was John Virgo. What a legend!

Leave a comment:

• coomsey76
    replied
    They did indeed.....

"He returned to non-ranking action in early September, losing in the first round of a Players Tour Championship event in Gloucester to world number 84 Simon Bedford."

Oops a slight mistake there from the bbc......

Leave a comment:

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
    Quite interesting to read Jimmy White's comments having been playing exhibitions with Ronnie for a couple of months now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20097208

I saw the snooker legends in Reading on Weds 10th, Jimmy was absolutely incredible, potted everything, didn't miss all night.

Leave a comment:

• LittleMissAlexa
    replied
    Originally Posted by spike View Post
    Totally irrelevant to this thread..
    not really someone brought up when the game lost higgins it survived (that was mainly due to ronnie coming through btw)

Leave a comment:

• JeeSe
    replied
    Quite interesting to read Jimmy White's comments having been playing exhibitions with Ronnie for a couple of months now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20097208

I saw the snooker legends in Reading on Weds 10th, Jimmy was absolutely incredible, potted everything, didn't miss all night.

Leave a comment:

• GeordieDS
    replied
    Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    I agree the game does need Ronnie. But people also said that of Alex Higgins and the game hardly struggled when he stopped playing though his supporters always seem to think he made the game but that is another argument.

Thing is only time will tell if Ronnie's absence affects the interest level from fans in arenas, TV viewing figures and sponsors, I largely suspect it will. At the moment we have new tournaments and a few new young exciting players keeping the viewers happy.
    However if, as I suspect, that Ronnie does indeed quit then someone is going to have to take over the mantle of the box office player who the game is sold to.

All sports need a dominant team or figure in order to sell itself as a product to fans and sponsors and TV companies, as well as in general a figure head for the sport. In most sports you'd look to the number one player but history in snooker has shown that the number one has by and large been a dull type of player, Hendry, Davis, and now Selby. These people were never going to get sponsors on board or sell out venues, you need the flair players like Ronnie, Trump, White etc. They may never be dominant players that get to number one for years but they have a style of game which is vital to keep the game away from the norm of most players who play a very conservative style of game.
    What Cueman says...

Leave a comment:

• FerruleFox
    replied
    He's getting older. One of these days he's going to retire anyways. His health might just speed up the decision.

Leave a comment:

• FerruleFox
    replied
    I'm not surprised he pulled out. Why choose this tournament to make his comeback? Everyone knows he doesn't like traveling.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X