Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TSB - Ronnie withdraws from International Championships just months after sabbatical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by pcb View Post
    ronnie is the best player we will ever see in our lifetime without doubt , he sells tickets at 10am on a monday morning at the crucible and has a full house at any other time , snooker would quite simply suffer without the rocket unless someone comes along and knocks in a max in 4 minutes 30 seconds . snooker ticket sales would suffer alongside tv viewers.
    WRONG

NEXT Bull****

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
      John Higgins
      ...and more and more others.

Plus time.
      Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
      Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
        He's been around for 20 years and game has gone up and down, mostly down. What do you think of that?
        I am happy to admit I am a Ronnie fan, that said I don't join in with all the hype, I don't think he is the greatest player ever, I don't think he can not be replaced and I wont stop watching snooker if Ronnie retires.

However all I am saying is, some fans may feel the game is better without him but I think a lot of sponsors would not agree with that and I think a lot of sponsors are less likely to sponsor World Snooker tournaments without Ronnie in them, he gets viewers whether we like him or not.
        If I am wrong and the sponsors could not give a toss if Ronnie plays or not, then fair enough, but that is my opinion.

Comment

Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
          I am happy to admit I am a Ronnie fan, that said I don't join in with all the hype, I don't think he is the greatest player ever, I don't think he can not be replaced and I wont stop watching snooker if Ronnie retires.

However all I am saying is, some fans may feel the game is better without him but I think a lot of sponsors would not agree with that and I think a lot of sponsors are less likely to sponsor World Snooker tournaments without Ronnie in them, he gets viewers whether we like him or not.
          If I am wrong and the sponsors could not give a toss if Ronnie plays or not, then fair enough, but that is my opinion.
          right, i'm sure ticket sales, attendances and sponsorship would rocket with mark selby and peter ebdon and no ronnie. there is no need for you to be an apologist and mince words with the dinos on here my friend - they are part of the problem and the reason why snooker has been run into the ground over the past 2 decades as a sport. this is typical republican double-speak projection - on one side of their mouths they will say "well, the sport is not just about one person (ronnie)" and then on the other side of their mouths they will say "ronnie has been around for 20 years and the game has gone mostly down".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/2..._lose_ron.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/17983101

"It doesn't sound like Barry Hearn is going to be begging Ronnie to stay," said Hendry, who announced his own retirement from the sport following his quarter-final defeat by Stephen Maguire. "But I wouldn't like to try and sell big tournaments to fans and sponsors without having Ronnie involved."

i'm deliberately adding the hendry opinion because if i don't, the typical republican dino response to ben dir's post would be not to address the issue but to attack the writer and the poster. "oh, who is he? how is he qualified to comment... .... .... .... ...."

pwned.

Comment

Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
            on one side of their mouths they will say "well, the sport is not just about one person (ronnie)" and then on the other side of their mouths they will say "ronnie has been around for 20 years and the game has gone mostly down".
            So you're not ignoring me after all, I'm flattered. Good. Can you then explain how those two senteces exclude each other out?

Comment

I agree the game does need Ronnie. But people also said that of Alex Higgins and the game hardly struggled when he stopped playing though his supporters always seem to think he made the game but that is another argument.

Thing is only time will tell if Ronnie's absence affects the interest level from fans in arenas, TV viewing figures and sponsors, I largely suspect it will. At the moment we have new tournaments and a few new young exciting players keeping the viewers happy.
              However if, as I suspect, that Ronnie does indeed quit then someone is going to have to take over the mantle of the box office player who the game is sold to.

All sports need a dominant team or figure in order to sell itself as a product to fans and sponsors and TV companies, as well as in general a figure head for the sport. In most sports you'd look to the number one player but history in snooker has shown that the number one has by and large been a dull type of player, Hendry, Davis, and now Selby. These people were never going to get sponsors on board or sell out venues, you need the flair players like Ronnie, Trump, White etc. They may never be dominant players that get to number one for years but they have a style of game which is vital to keep the game away from the norm of most players who play a very conservative style of game.

Comment

Ronnie is a better player than Alex ever was
                Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                  Ronnie is a better player than Alex ever was
                  Totally irrelevant to this thread..
                  "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I'm not surprised he pulled out. Why choose this tournament to make his comeback? Everyone knows he doesn't like traveling.

Comment

He's getting older. One of these days he's going to retire anyways. His health might just speed up the decision.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
                        I agree the game does need Ronnie. But people also said that of Alex Higgins and the game hardly struggled when he stopped playing though his supporters always seem to think he made the game but that is another argument.

Thing is only time will tell if Ronnie's absence affects the interest level from fans in arenas, TV viewing figures and sponsors, I largely suspect it will. At the moment we have new tournaments and a few new young exciting players keeping the viewers happy.
                        However if, as I suspect, that Ronnie does indeed quit then someone is going to have to take over the mantle of the box office player who the game is sold to.

All sports need a dominant team or figure in order to sell itself as a product to fans and sponsors and TV companies, as well as in general a figure head for the sport. In most sports you'd look to the number one player but history in snooker has shown that the number one has by and large been a dull type of player, Hendry, Davis, and now Selby. These people were never going to get sponsors on board or sell out venues, you need the flair players like Ronnie, Trump, White etc. They may never be dominant players that get to number one for years but they have a style of game which is vital to keep the game away from the norm of most players who play a very conservative style of game.
                        What Cueman says...
                        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Quite interesting to read Jimmy White's comments having been playing exhibitions with Ronnie for a couple of months now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20097208

I saw the snooker legends in Reading on Weds 10th, Jimmy was absolutely incredible, potted everything, didn't miss all night.

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                            Totally irrelevant to this thread..
                            not really someone brought up when the game lost higgins it survived (that was mainly due to ronnie coming through btw)
                            Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by JeeSe View Post
                              Quite interesting to read Jimmy White's comments having been playing exhibitions with Ronnie for a couple of months now. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/snooker/20097208

I saw the snooker legends in Reading on Weds 10th, Jimmy was absolutely incredible, potted everything, didn't miss all night.
                              did the bbc in that article state ptc as non ranking?

Comment

Originally Posted by LittleMissAlexa View Post
                                did the bbc in that article state ptc as non ranking?
                                They did indeed.....

"He returned to non-ranking action in early September, losing in the first round of a Players Tour Championship event in Gloucester to world number 84 Simon Bedford."

Oops a slight mistake there from the bbc......
                                Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                                Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Working...
                                X