TSB - The masters gets new title sponsor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
    Whatever happened to Pukka Pies anyway? I thought they were a pretty good sponsor. They sent the Pukka Pies band down to Telford.
    Steve Lee ate them out of business ;-)

Comment

At the moment I have 4 gambling companies all wanting me to put their banners up over The UK Championships and we are asking each company who have approached us what they are going to do for us to put their banner up over someone else's who we have a proven track record with and you would be shocked at how desperate these betting companies are to have their banner on the site.

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
        At the moment I have 4 gambling companies all wanting me to put their banners up over The UK Championships and we are asking each company who have approached us what they are going to do for us to put their banner up over someone else's who we have a proven track record with and you would be shocked at how desperate these betting companies are to have their banner on the site.
        I can imagine, actaully. Probably makes them a lot of money.

Comment

...I don't think we should put all our eggs in one basket. (What if advertising of gambling suddenly becomes illegal.)
          Exactly, and I think there's a good chance that in time, it will.

Hopefully in four or five years we'll have lots of other companies sponsoring events, from a wide range of industries.
          Hopefully you're right, I see this as one of Mr. Hearn's prime objectives if he is to deliver any sort of long-term stability to the sport.

Whatever happened to Pukka Pies anyway? I thought they were a pretty good sponsor. They sent the Pukka Pies band down to Telford.
          They were probably gobbled up by a multinational corporation. :wink:

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

That's the problem. That's why gambling companies are such a big sponsor of sports. Because they can set up booths at events, and people can put a bit of money on different events. There's been one at the Crucible for yonks now, and Ladbrookes have had one at The Masters for a few years.

I think they want to look into alcohol sponsorship and the snackfood industry. Partly because I'm a fat-arse, but mainly because they'd be able to sell stuff like that at venues. It might depend on how the venue bar thinks about the advertising of alcohol obviously. But going back to what I said before about Pukka Pies, I tried one for the first time at Telford because they were the sponsor of the tournament, and they were on sale there.

People are more likely to buy a snack, beer or a soft drink if it's the title sponsor than they are say razor blades.
            The amount any bookmaker takes physically at a venue is nickel & dime. The payback is in the TV viewer using that brand, due to the sponsorship.

There are issues with alcohol, sponsorship is banned in parts of Europe - The Heineken Cup is known as The H Cup in France.

Comment

I don't get the value for money argument - if the logic is you won't go and open a bank account if a bank sponsors a snooker tournament, does the same logic not apply to football matches?

If that is indeed the case, what are Barclays getting out of sponsorsing the Premiership? I very much doubt it's becasue loads of Man U or Chelsea fans are running out to switch their current accounts as per the argument above and it can hardly be for exposure as all the games are on subscription only Sky Sports channels so much smaller viewing figures than terrestrial TV, so what do they get out of sponsoring Premiership football?

Comment

With Football you got to realise how many more people watch it and the small percentage that do signup because of sponsorship is probably worth it for football.

Lets take The World Championships, peak figures in The UK are 5 million viewers with a total viewing audience of around 22 million, what would this figure be for football? 10 times that! 20 times? I do not know but lets say only 4% of people signup for the sponsors products or services then football is value for money.

Sponsorship of The World Championships is what 1.2 million! what are Barclays paying for The Premiership ? need someone who knows more about football to comment me thinks, I'll pop a email to Nick Harris the Sports editor of The Mail on Sunday and owner of SportingIntelligence.com he will know the exact figures.

Comment

Working...
                X