Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronnie O’Sullivan calls press conference for major career announcement

Article Source on The Snooker Blog

A email popped into my mailbox this morning inviting me to a press conference for Ronnie O’Sullivan where he will be announcing his more .....

confused but the WSC deadline is the 28th but the press conference is the 26th?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

IMO if he was playing in the world championship it would have been a simple statement released to the press indicating that. As he has called a press conference I'm assuming its to call time on his career and maybe talk about his future plans.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        confused but the WSC deadline is the 28th but the press conference is the 26th?
        Yeah sorry my mistake I thought the deadline was Tuesday and I did not check before writing that.

As Cueman says if he was playing then it would be a simple email shot so it has to be more, maybe it could be this break away tour Ronnie has suggested in the past...........

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
          Yeah sorry my mistake I thought the deadline was Tuesday and I did not check before writing that.

As Cueman says if he was playing then it would be a simple email shot so it has to be more, maybe it could be this break away tour Ronnie has suggested in the past...........
          yea Right the Chigwell not quite World Tour.

coming to a pig sty near you soon..... book your tickets through farmers union

Comment

I accept if he decided to play in this years WSC it would be a simple statement no conference required, however if he was not playing in the WSC he could make career announcements at any time in the next few months. No one is expecting him to play in it anyway.

It is odd that it is scheduled 2 days before the deadline if he is still not playing in the WSC this year.

Comment

It seems obvious to me that he's quitting. It's a shame but not surprising.

Comment

Actually - I'm not so sure about the theory that if he WAS playing, it'd be a simple statement. These days, no-one seems to do anything with a simple statement. You could just as easily say that if he was quitting, a simple written statement to the press would be all that was required.

I personally think he'll announce that he's playing.

However, he'll then pull out two days before the start.

At which point, we will then see Barry Hearn spontaneously combust on live television!

Comment

Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
                  Actually - I'm not so sure about the theory that if he WAS playing, it'd be a simple statement. These days, no-one seems to do anything with a simple statement. You could just as easily say that if he was quitting, a simple written statement to the press would be all that was required.

I personally think he'll announce that he's playing.

However, he'll then pull out two days before the start.

At which point, we will then see Barry Hearn spontaneously combust on live television!
                  LOL.

I don´t think we´ve seen the last of O´Sullivan, but I don´t think he´ll make a comeback this season. Even for a player with O´Sullivans qualities I think going into a tournament without matchpractice will be to much.
                  ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                  "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by Rane View Post
                    LOL.

I don´t think we´ve seen the last of O´Sullivan, but I don´t think he´ll make a comeback this season. Even for a player with O´Sullivans qualities I think going into a tournament without matchpractice will be to much.
                    Don't you think that is the kind of thing that will motivate him to try his very hardest, and do his very best? It seems when he does this he is the best player by far. To take the season off and then win the Worlds would be the kind of thing that I'm sure would give him plenty of motivation. Was it the 2009 masters where he snapped his cue a day before, borrowed one from John Parris and went on to win?

Do I think he is going to play the worlds this season though, No. I think he may well be announcing his retirement or some other project. But who can predict what Ronnie will do, he probably does not even know what he is announcing yet!

Comment

It worries the hell out of me if Osullivan does come straight back and wins it, which he could do, as where does that leave snooker? especially if after the tournament he says he cant be bothered to play again, its struggling already for crowds, and to bring young players into the game(in this country anyway), how do you get youngsters enthused to go to a tournament when all you can offer is a chance to see the best of the rest, and not the main man, scary.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Screams of attention seeking to me, the press should just not turn up and Barry could leave an entry form on the table for him.

If he doesn't play he'll be largely forgotten after the world's but I wonder if Selby being on for the triple crown might affect his decision as only Davis, Hendry and Williams have done it in one season, not even Ronnie has managed that so he may want to try to stop Selby getting one over on him?

Then again, he could announce a rival breakaway tour in China with Hendry, White, Drago, all the chinese talent plus Hann, Lee, Jogia, etc - nothing surprises with him.

If he does play he could easily win it as can anyone who enters it as the game is so wide open these days with every ranking event being won by a different player.

Comment

Originally Posted by sberry View Post
                          Screams of attention seeking to me, the press should just not turn up and Barry could leave an entry form on the table for him.

If he doesn't play he'll be largely forgotten after the world's but I wonder if Selby being on for the triple crown might affect his decision as only Davis, Hendry and Williams have done it in one season, not even Ronnie has managed that so he may want to try to stop Selby getting one over on him?
                          Then again, he could announce a rival breakaway tour in China with Hendry, White, Drago, all the chinese talent plus Hann, Lee, Jogia, etc - nothing surprises with him.

If he does play he could easily win it as can anyone who enters it as the game is so wide open these days with every ranking event being won by a different player.
                          That is possibly one of the most stupid posts I've ever seen on here. As if someone like Ronnie would be bothered about Selby! He wouldn't even care if Selby was to go on and win more titles than Ronnie has because the fact is Ronnie will always be considered as a legend of the game and Selby will never acquire or reach that status. Do you think Ronnie is sitting at home worrying that Selby might win the treble when its one of those accolades that was invented by the BBC because they are the only tournaments they show! The masters is devalued as a tournament anyway this season seeing as though one of the top 16 was suspended and the defending world champion didn't enter.

Comment

I thought the part about the breakaway tour in china was more stupid myself....lol..

Comment

Was it the 2009 masters where he snapped his cue a day before, borrowed one from John Parris and went on to win?

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz2Lj0YUogQ
                              - TSF - TheSnookerForum.com
                              Yeah that was impressive but maybe not as impressive as it sounds. Parris has the stats for Ronnie's cue so his 'new' cue would have exactly the same size tip, exact same weight, exact same length etc.

He wouldn't even care if Selby was to go on and win more titles than Ronnie has because the fact is Ronnie will always be considered as a legend of the game and Selby will never acquire or reach that status.

Original Source: http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...#ixzz2Lj2VQK8q
                              - TSF - TheSnookerForum.com
                              This is crystal ball time again! Who can say what status Selby will have? He's already a 3 times Masters winner, which is more times than John Higgins, for instance. The term 'legend' is liquid anyway if the legend tour is anything to go by. If Drago can be called a legend then Selby certainly can! I'd agree that Ronnie won't be quaking in his boots about being done over by Selby though.
                              I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Working...
                              X