No announcement yet.

Tall Snooker Player! Where are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I have found that due to my height -6ft 3 I tend to lean over the table rather than bend over from the hips. This means I have not got a nice straight back like the pros on tv. Technically I think for me I find it hard to brush my chest with the cue and this means I can start to cue under or around my body. As said people are definitely getting taller and when billiards tables were first built a 6 foot bloke would have been very tall whereas its normal now.
    coaching is not just for the pros
    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Great Idea! Plus short players that cant reach the table can stand on a yellow pages! :P

Comment

Fair play Stevie, I might try the left foot further out to the left, and see if that helps the back. Thanks

Comment

The great John Pulman was well over 6 foot. He had an immaculate cue action. Shame there isn't more footage of him available.

Only clip of him on Youtube playing at Butlins
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFTKsy_0CLA

Comment

I came away from my lesson with two simple instructions: straighten the back leg and straighten up the elbow to allow correct delivery of the cue with an in line wrist.

Comment

Straighten up the elbow on the cue arm or the Bridge arm?
              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                Straighten up the elbow on the cue arm or the Bridge arm?
                From the sound of it, the cue arm. I suspect his elbow was inside or outside vertical and this was because of the wrist or affecting the wrist.
                "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
                  I'm 191cm , which means something near 6.3 I suppose. I'm currently using a 57,3 ,which is really too short for me I should really change it asap

Anyway I think the point is more the shoulder height and the distance between arms more then actual body height.
                  True. Fun fact, for most people arm span will equal height. It's connected to the "golden ratio" which appears all over the human body and almost all other life on the planet - scientists suspect this may be due to how genes are structured and operate.
                  "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

Mark Selby is quite tall.

I know this because I got my photo taken with him once. We stood there and posed for the photograph, and I did that awkward thing men do when they are having a photo taken together of leaning in close enough to get a good picture without trying to be too close. Anyway, I go to put my arm on his back and misjudged due to his height, and ended up putting my hand on his bum.

I was stood there thinking; "Oh no. I've got my hand on Selby's arse." After that, I had another sudden thought that I hadn't removed my hand and it had been a bit too long. If I removed it now, he'd know I'd realised but not been able to move it.

Anyway, I now have a photo on my Facebook wall of me looking petrified, but Selby looking strangely happy.

Comment

Originally Posted by SnookerFan View Post
                      Mark Selby is quite tall.

I know this because I got my photo taken with him once. We stood there and posed for the photograph, and I did that awkward thing men do when they are having a photo taken together of leaning in close enough to get a good picture without trying to be too close. Anyway, I go to put my arm on his back and misjudged due to his height, and ended up putting my hand on his bum.

I was stood there thinking; "Oh no. I've got my hand on Selby's arse." After that, I had another sudden thought that I hadn't removed my hand and it had been a bit too long. If I removed it now, he'd know I'd realised but not been able to move it.

Anyway, I now have a photo on my Facebook wall of me looking petrified, but Selby looking strangely happy.
                      Link please

Comment

Cue arm, elbow was inside the line and throwing my grip out with thumb across and under the cue. Getting this right will level out how the tip goes through the cue ball.
                        Having the longer cue allows me to stretch out my bridge arm to a consistent lenght - taking out the guess work of bending same.

Comment

Originally Posted by streamer45 View Post
                          Link please
                          Yeah right.

Comment

standing 6ft 5in I was constantly battling with my stance and cue action, until someone advised me to buy a longer cue. I practiced for a couple of hours with a 60inch belonging to a fellow tall club member and could not believe the difference from my trusty(?) 57inch. I invested in the extra length without spending the earth (£82 including case, two extensions and postage from hong kong) just over a year ago. The change it has made to my comfort on the shot has been unbelievable, to the point where when I am now playing I can concetrate fully on the shot and not have to concern myself with worrying about my stance. I have moved from being a regular 30 break player to making 60s, 70s and upwards on a consistent basis.
                            I must stress though that while this did make a huge difference to my game, that does not mean it will work for everyone and it may well also simply be phsycological, not to mention that I do like to get down the club at least three times a week as I am a big advocate of the philosophy that there is NO better way of improving your game or maintaining any level of consistency than the magic word PRACTICE!

Comment

i was going to say graham dott :/

Comment

Working...
                              X