Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tall Snooker Player! Where are they?

Hi,

I am a very tall snooker player at 6ft6".
    I was wondering if there are any other tall pro snooker players and if anyone knows how they combat the issues they have:-
    Cueing
    Stance
    back pain?

Cheers

Johnny

Do you remember the Australian pro in the 80's, John Campbell? He is by far the tallest player I've seen. Adopted an incredibly wide stance, his feet must have been 4 foot apart! Not sure if he ever experienced back trouble?
    Last edited by Cyril; 5 April 2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

I'm like a parrot when these questions come up but Ricky Walden is reportedly 6ft5, though i've never met him in person to back up hear say, he bends both legs and uses a short cue considering his height, but his arm span does look short...

I'm 6ft2 and find it hard to keep my back leg straight so have a slight bend myself, does it cause you pain keeping your leg straight Johnny?
      Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

Walden was taller than me when I met him so I wouldn't be surprised if he's 6"5.
        I think he's one of these people like my mate that looks much taller if he stands up straight. He's certainly hunched over in my pic with him and I was about 6"2 - 6"3 when that picture was taken
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I do't rememeber him actually but bloody hell. That is a wide stance!

Comment

Hi South Paw,

I try and keep it as straight and handle it most of the time. But is gets difficult after a while because it hurts my back. I bought a 62" cue which has helped big time. I am just wondering when world snooker will raise the height of the tables as people are getting taller as the generations go on!

Comment

young lad in sheffield who could be on is way up,is 19 i think and stands about 6-6 +

Comment

Hi RGCirencester,

I will have a look at Walden's stance to see how he deals with it.
                Would be interesting to see what length of cue he uses.
                Cheers

Comment

Originally Posted by JohnnyHickey View Post
                  Hi RGCirencester,

I will have a look at Walden's stance to see how he deals with it.
                  Would be interesting to see what length of cue he uses.
                  Cheers
                  I thought Ricky played with quite a short cue for his height but I'm not sure.
                  Walden bends both legs.
                  6"4 myself. Struggling a bit with this too atm. When i used to play regularly I could stand with a straight back leg all day long no problem but now I only get to play once a week isn't nearly as comfortable. Bending both legs is much better but I don't feel as stable. Do I get to change so I'm stable like Ricky or stick to what used to work
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Hi South Paw,

I try and keep it as straight and handle it most of the time. But is gets difficult after a while because it hurts my back. I bought a 62" cue which has helped big time. I am just wondering when world snooker will raise the height of the tables as people are getting taller as the generations go on!
                    That's two of us in the 62 inch cue club then. Size is everything

Comment

I am 6.3 and have gone 58, 59 to 60 the last few yrs. Technique is a problem at the mo, so going for a lesson tomorrow, try and tighten things up in the right order :-)

Comment

Great stuff! I couldn't agree more.haha

Comment

I'm 191cm , which means something near 6.3 I suppose. I'm currently using a 57,3 ,which is really too short for me I should really change it asap

Anyway I think the point is more the shoulder height and the distance between arms more then actual body height.

Comment

Hi South Paw,

Yes I couldn't agree more lol, let's get a petition rolling straight to Barry! No more will tall players struggle with getting low...
                            Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning...

Comment

I'm 6ft 3 and my cue is perfect for me at 58" but I think thats because I stand and hold the cue similar to the Mark Williams style but I'm right handed. I hold the cue with my little finger behind the cue have the cue well under by stomach. I've always found moving my left foot further to the left helps my stance out if I'm having a stiff day
                              "It might not be on stats or titles but in terms of talent and the ability to play snooker erm......he's the best" Hendry's humbled words on Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Comment

Working...
                              X