Tony Knowles footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Knowles footage

Hi all. Some of you may be aware that Tony Knowles was a favourite of mine when I grew up watching snooker in the 1980’s. For anyone interested in revisiting some of his most memorable moments I’ve set up a dedicated YouTube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...CfSMUgHI6wRAyD

The footage includes big breaks, close finishes, interviews, agonies and ecstasies at the Crucible, an attempt to launch a pop career with Alex, Jimmy and Kirk and having his very own suite named after him in Phoenix Nights. Surely worth a peak.

Great stuff gmg twas really a lack of footage on youtube for Tony, Shudve been a real contender but the lurid stories in the redtops at the time about him didnt help his cause, great player tho!

Comment

Yes. I'd heard that Tony had some impressive footage.

Comment

I have a copy of The Wanderer by Four Away on Vinyl it was released in 1984, also any links to Tony Knowles playing John Parrott in the lst 16 of the 1992 World championships, when Len Ganley replaced the white ball wrongly and Parrott potted the Brown to go 7-4 up and Knowles complained to Len about the placing of the balls and miss rule. Tony Knowles went on to lose the match 13-4.
        Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

Comment

Originally Posted by Mr Snooker View Post
          I have a copy of The Wanderer by Four Away on Vinyl it was released in 1984, also any links to Tony Knowles playing John Parrott in the lst 16 of the 1992 World championships, when Len Ganley replaced the white ball wrongly and Parrott potted the Brown to go 7-4 up and Knowles complained to Len about the placing of the balls and miss rule. Tony Knowles went on to lose the match 13-4.

I don't have any footage of that match in my collection but there is a brief snippet on YouTube at round the 2:36 mark at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_npWpaRSzs&noredirect=1

Such a shame as Knowlesy had been competing well against Parrott up until that point before proceeding to lose all of the remaining frames thereafter. Turned out to be his last match at the Crucible as well.

Btw, I also have a copy of The Wanderer and recently converted it to MP3 format. Kirk Stevens was missing from the cover and the management didn't even bother with a promo video. No surprise at all then that it didn't chart.

Comment

Originally Posted by gmg View Post
            Hi all. Some of you may be aware that Tony Knowles was a favourite of mine when I grew up watching snooker in the 1980’s. For anyone interested in revisiting some of his most memorable moments I’ve set up a dedicated YouTube channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...CfSMUgHI6wRAyD

The footage includes big breaks, close finishes, interviews, agonies and ecstasies at the Crucible, an attempt to launch a pop career with Alex, Jimmy and Kirk and having his very own suite named after him in Phoenix Nights. Surely worth a peak.
            thanks for that my favourite player of all time, shame always let things affect him too easy, should have won world championship in 82 field was wide open and bad mistake against thorburn on pink in 83, that frame against white in 88 was the real knowlesy that we never seen enough of was at his best when fluent and flowing around table
            Craftsman custom made cue
            57 inches
            17 ounces
            9 mil Wooldridge original supertip
            ash shaft plain ebony butt

Comment

Originally Posted by jack_dougles View Post
              thanks for that my favourite player of all time, shame always let things affect him too easy, should have won world championship in 82 field was wide open and bad mistake against thorburn on pink in 83, that frame against white in 88 was the real knowlesy that we never seen enough of was at his best when fluent and flowing around table
              I agree that '82 was Tony's best chance to land the World title. He was 11-6 up against Steady Eddie Charlton in the quarter-finals and let his guard down and lost all of the remaining seven frames. He definitely had the beatings of Reardon in the semi's and Alex in the final. In contrast Steve Davis was waiting for him in the final on the three occasions that he reached the semi-finals and I don't think he would have beaten the Nugget on any of those three years over 35 frames.

Comment

Thanks for the link. He certainly was a talented player.

Comment

Cool channel.Thanks.

Another thing with Tony: a couple of years ago I started a thread asking which snooker players had actually got a post-16 education.
                  I can't find it now but the only names I can remember anyone coming up with were Davis (accountancy exams) and Knowles (went to art college).

Comment

Great stuff gmg. Steve Davis's first shot in the '82 first round was tremendous. Amazing to think that he would go on to lose 10-1 after an opening red like that!

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
                      Great stuff gmg. Steve Davis's first shot in the '82 first round was tremendous. Amazing to think that he would go on to lose 10-1 after an opening red like that!
                      ...and it's notable as well Mick how that opening pot of Steve's didn't even receive a round of applause. It's as if his perfection had become boringly predictable at the time. Davis quite vividly recalls making a few decent pots in the early stages of that opening frame in the episode of SD & Friends that I've also posted on YouTube. He played absolutely abysmally beyond this though and also had the poorest run of the ball that I think I've ever seen. Hence that resigned fit of the giggles as he goes in-off in the seventh frame. Burn out was very clearly the root cause, which makes it all the more surprising that Barry Hearn is currently so dismissive of such factors over 30 years later. It would appear that those pound signs have dulled his memory yet again.

Comment

Alex Higgins vs Tony Knowles -1988 B&H masters

Nice shot by the Hurricane at 16:22 :-)
                        Last edited by Holden Chinaski; 1 July 2013, 09:49 AM.
                        Box the chimp.

Comment

TK also makes a cameo in this bizarre little Mitchell & Webb sketch for Comic Relief from 2007 alongside Joe Johnson, Shaun Murphy, Dominic Dale, Michael Holt, Michaela Tabb, Hazel Irvine and.....Chris De Burgh!

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/CgIJYYR-9BE/?fr=rec1

Comment

At the introduction of the 1982 first round between Tony & Steve, the late David Vine tells us that some bookmakers have Steve Davis at 5/2 ON to retain the title. At the end of the match, David Coleman tells that Tony's odds of winning that match were 50/1. Does anyone on this forum remember the odds given by bookies for this match? The prices given to us by the BBC presenters seem way over the top (I could be wrong though). Thanks for any help.

Comment

Great Player TK lovely cue action and quite unique his elbow would drop very similar to Joe Davis Cue Action should have won a lot more

Comment

Working...
                              X