Ronnie O'Sullivan named player of the year at awards ceromony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by thelongbomber View Post
    It happens in every sport and industry. Every new player that comes along sets a higher and higher bar.
    Two examples to the contrary: Bradman in cricket and Sugar Ray Robinson in boxing(I'm ignorant of cricket but the boxing one is certainy the case) - sometimes you find someone came along decades before and set the bar so high it's been unreachable ever since.

Comment

I'm a Ding fan but I really don't see how you could give him Player of the Year when he had no impact in the 3 major events, Worlds, UK and Masters. I don't buy the one either that Ronnie is the biggest box office ever. Alex Higgins drew the crowds in far more. He could guarantee to fill any venue.

Comment

I'd take Robertson,O'Sullivan and Selby's seasons over Ding's.

Selby played the finals of all the three big tournaments,winning the biggest one by beating the two best players in the world.

Robertson won the UK championship,lost an incredible match against Selby in the WSC and made over a 100 centuries.

Ronny won 4 titles,won the masters,played in the final of the WSC.

Ding lost in the first round of both the Masters and the WSC,and the 1/8 at the UK champ.Great achievement to win 5 tournaments but you can't completely flop at the three most important events and be considered the best player of the year...at least that's my opinion.

Comment

yeah I would have gone for ronnie. champ of champs, masters so convincingly, as was the welsh open with a magical 12th maxi etc. dings been up and down and how many of his tournament wins did ronnie play in? also with so many tournaments now theres bound to be more multiple tournament winners and seasons century breaks. still great achievements but ronnie out shines for me
          2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

meaningless award really seeing as though selby is the world No1 and world champion.

Comment

Originally Posted by dieselman147 View Post
              dings been up and down and how many of his tournament wins did ronnie play in?
              I know it's probably a rhetorical question, but I'll answer it anyway... :smile:

Ding Junhui and Ronnie O'Sullivan played together in twelve tournaments last season, O'Sullivan won four, Ding two, the other six were won by other players (Selby twice). :smile:

Comment

O'Sullivan is a great player for sure but he is a part-time player
                who picks and choses his tournaments so he is fresh and rested
                for those he does play in. Hardly what a true champion would do.
                Ding played well in winning several tournaments altho he did not
                do well in the major events however it was a real accomplishment
                to win what he did.
                Robertson to me is the true champion who on and off the table
                exemplifies the game of snooker much like Hendry did in his day.

I would have chosen Robertson or Ding.

Comment

Surely a 'true champion' knows which battles to fight and which to not fight, which is precisely what Ronnie does. Are you suggesting that a true champion enters every competition going?
                  Was Ronnie not a true champion when he took the best part of a year off and with little or no match fitness takes to the field and beats everyone hands down? I cant recall anyone in any other professional sport taking a year off competition and turning up and winning the World Championship

Comment

This is a ridiculous decision.

Comment

well those who voted obviously dont think so!

Comment

Working...
                      X