Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    Hello my first posting on here. What size are the roof joists on your project and did you get a calculation for the span ?

    4x2 CLS C24, no calculation... it’s just a shed at the end of the day I thought when building it! As you can see I made them up like an A frame using triangles of PLY to give strength, later I added strips of PLY glued and screwed to the sides of the 4x2 because they did start to bow a fraction once more weight was added to to roof! In the end as a back up I now have 3 steel cables support/braces lower down to prevent any future movement and to stop the roof pushing the sides of the shed outwards.

    If I could go back in time and had a larger budget I would use something more like 6x2 treated timber at 600mm spacings for the roof instead, or as you say, pay for a structural engineer to do the calcs. I suppose it comes down to if you want to build a shed or a proper building with planning and building regs involved..

    Comment


    • Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post


      4x2 CLS C24, no calculation... it’s just a shed at the end of the day I thought when building it! As you can see I made them up like an A frame using triangles of PLY to give strength, later I added strips of PLY glued and screwed to the sides of the 4x2 because they did start to bow a fraction once more weight was added to to roof! In the end as a back up I now have 3 steel cables support/braces lower down to prevent any future movement and to stop the roof pushing the sides of the shed outwards.

      If I could go back in time and had a larger budget I would use something more like 6x2 treated timber at 600mm spacings for the roof instead, or as you say, pay for a structural engineer to do the calcs. I suppose it comes down to if you want to build a shed or a proper building with planning and building regs involved..
      Did you ever think of putting a pent roof on ? Is the distance too big for that kind of roof ? I have it in my head you would have more internal height with a pent roof.
      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

      Comment


      • Originally I made a few flat roof designs but felt the extra height would dominate the garden. The cabin/shed design fits in much better I just had to loose a little height around the perimeter to get a decent slope but I knew that. At the end of the day the budget was tiny and I built at the time what I thought would be a good solid and dry building based on previous shed builds. If I had to build it again there’s a few things I would change but the style I still really like and mixed use of boarding and cladding looks great!

        Comment


        • Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
          Originally I made a few flat roof designs but felt the extra height would dominate the garden. The cabin/shed design fits in much better I just had to loose a little height around the perimeter to get a decent slope but I knew that. At the end of the day the budget was tiny and I built at the time what I thought would be a good solid and dry building based on previous shed builds. If I had to build it again there’s a few things I would change but the style I still really like and mixed use of boarding and cladding looks great!
          Cheers Steve, not knocking it , it looks great, I was just wondering if the span was maybe too big for a pent roof and it would sag.
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

          Comment


          • Not sure to be honest, never got past the design stage. It’s only 4.8m wide so it should have been possible.

            Comment


            • If the opportunity came up to build a bespoke snooker shed for someone else I now know what I would do differently!

              Comment


              • Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
                Hello my first posting on here. What size are the roof joists on your project and did you get a calculation for the span ?
                Mine (as pics above) are 9x2 C24 as specified in engineers calcs
                Last edited by trying; 8 June 2020, 11:59 AM.

                Comment


                • BIG day today! Mr UPS man delivered my Peradon(Thurstons) order! :encouragement: I’ve only been waiting 6 months to get this and it’s finally here! Plus a few fancy extras!

                  29oz tournament 6811 bed & cushion cloth
                  3G balls
                  Quad tournament rails, in chrome finish
                  New pocket leathers
                  Cushion blocks, supports and slips
                  Northern rubber, adhesive & tape
                  Cloth tacks
                  White pencils
                  White spots (dunno if I’ll use these yet)
                  Chrome rest hooks

                  The new cloth feels quite literally half as thick as the unbranded cloth that came with the table! No wonder I’ve been struggling with some of my screw shots, it’s like comparing carpet to silk! Amazing difference..

                  I’ll get some pics uploaded over the weekend!

                  Comment


                  • It's a good cloth that, we just fitted those four rail tournament rails in chrome,so much better , you don't have to clear out reds anywhere near as much.
                    we also use the white spots, I'm undecided on them, I know you need spots on a club table but they do end up causing kicks off the spot.
                    Last edited by itsnoteasy; 9 July 2020, 06:11 PM.
                    This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                    https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

                    Comment


                    • Comment


                      • Comment


                        • After a brief email conversation with some time ago with GL I was advised it would be better to go with standard cushion blocks rather than try to make my own from hardwood, so I added those to the rest of my Thurston's order.

                          This evening I thought I'd crack on and get the new blocks glued and screwed onto the freshly stained and varnished cushions. The new blocks look like nice solid pieces of wood, no knots and very tight grained which means they should be strong and hard! The only slight issue is that when I compared the new blocks to the old ones they seem shorter in height?? When I setup the new block with the rubber and support fillet you can see how the fillet over hangs.... yet the height is now correct? Surely this isn't how it should be? It should be the same as the old block where both the block and fillet sit on the slate when the cushion is installed.

                          Take a look >


                          New block, rubber & fillet (look how tight that grain is compared to the old block below, much better quality wood!)


                          Old block

                          Think I'll give Thurstons an email in the morning to check this is right.

                          Comment


                          • Ok so it seems the support fillets are made oversized to allow for differences between tables and once the rubbers are fitted they should be planned flush with the block before fitting the cloth. Sounds obvious now! So this also means the old cushions where coming into contact with the round of the ball 3mm too high. Good job I decided to do a re-block! Should now get the perfect bounce!!

                            Comment


                            • Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                              Ok so it seems the support fillets are made oversized to allow for differences between tables and once the rubbers are fitted they should be planned flush with the block before fitting the cloth. Sounds obvious now! So this also means the old cushions where coming into contact with the round of the ball 3mm too high. Good job I decided to do a re-block! Should now get the perfect bounce!!
                              Looks like you got a busy weekend ahead Steve! Looks forward to seeing the results.
                              No cheap shots...well maybe the odd one if its funny...

                              Comment


                              • Well that’s the blocks glued and screwed into place! 12:30 I’m off to bed.. zzzzz

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X