Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Tim used to post in the amateur snooker thread, I really liked his posts, seems a right good lad.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Just had a look at that mate, very encouraging to see this still exists. I think it's so dead where I live and I haven't seen a kid holding a cue in years of playing around the clubs near me that, you lose hope for the future of the game. Cue stars is definitely Something to keep an eye on for emerging talent.

just remembered the guy's name who used to post about young stars on here, his handle was Snookerdad and his name was Tim Dunkley, he is a WPBA coach and he used to do a write up on here about status of the junior game. Hailed from around Southampton way I think and Chandler's Ford snooker centre.
    Tim is closely involved in the Cuestars set up as well CC.

Billy Castle was the first pro to come through that system and there will be others to follow I believe . Of course that is the easy part , staying pro and making a living out of it is the hard part although the recent change with £20k top up is going to help.

This is the set up in case anybody wants to have a look or even better get more kids involved.

https://www.cuestars.co.uk/

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by Starsky View Post

Not sure about that CC.

Most kids still get into it through one of their parents having an interest and taking them to a club.

There is still decent clubs running kids lessons on a Sat.
    Most of the kids I’ve seen are with their parents in the clubs. My local club has zero interest in the snooker let alone nurturing young talent . I always talk to the parents and direct them to places like Frames in Coulsdon which hold lessons etc.
    There are great clubs up and down the country who have a real interest in nurturing young players but they just aren’t as numerous as previously so you have to travel to get to them .

John Hunter and the Cuestars Academy in the South of England is a fine example of how things should be done to help kids along at grassroots level.
    Just had a look at that mate, very encouraging to see this still exists. I think it's so dead where I live and I haven't seen a kid holding a cue in years of playing around the clubs near me that, you lose hope for the future of the game. Cue stars is definitely Something to keep an eye on for emerging talent.

just remembered the guy's name who used to post about young stars on here, his handle was Snookerdad and his name was Tim Dunkley, he is a WPBA coach and he used to do a write up on here about status of the junior game. Hailed from around Southampton way I think and Chandler's Ford snooker centre.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 5 October 2022, 10:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
    It occurred to me the other day, that these shed / snooker room projects are one of the best chances for possible new stars to arise. Probably not the owners in most cases but the friends of friends who get that chance to play on them and discover they have some talent for the game.

So few younger people are likely to wander into an old snooker hall, and it seems the only new ones are built by the Chinese, like the academies in Sheffield.
    Not sure about that CC.

Most kids still get into it through one of their parents having an interest and taking them to a club.

There is still decent clubs running kids lessons on a Sat.
    Most of the kids I’ve seen are with their parents in the clubs. My local club has zero interest in the snooker let alone nurturing young talent . I always talk to the parents and direct them to places like Frames in Coulsdon which hold lessons etc.
    There are great clubs up and down the country who have a real interest in nurturing young players but they just aren’t as numerous as previously so you have to travel to get to them .

John Hunter and the Cuestars Academy in the South of England is a fine example of how things should be done to help kids along at grassroots level.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    It occurred to me the other day, that these shed / snooker room projects are one of the best chances for possible new stars to arise. Probably not the owners in most cases but the friends of friends who get that chance to play on them and discover they have some talent for the game.

So few younger people are likely to wander into an old snooker hall, and it seems the only new ones are built by the Chinese, like the academies in Sheffield.

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    Originally Posted by SimonWCue View Post
    Just one more thing Steve, and I will leave you alone lol.

Can I put 2 wires in one hole of the Wago? otherwise I would essentially need a 7 way Wago ( 6 for the panels and 1 for the fly lead, if such a thing exists.

Cheers.
    Yes you can! Just twist them together if it’s the strand flex type wire, if it’s a single copper strand just sit them next to each other and they will go in! Just give them a slight tug to double check the connector has got a grip!

Leave a comment:

• SimonWCue
    replied
    Just one more thing Steve, and I will leave you alone lol.

Can I put 2 wires in one hole of the Wago? otherwise I would essentially need a 7 way Wago ( 6 for the panels and 1 for the fly lead, if such a thing exists.

Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    That’s correct!

I adjusted the length of each pair of wires to bring them all to a central(ish) point where I joined them in Wagos.

Leave a comment:

• SimonWCue
    replied
    Thanks for getting back to me so quickly Steve.

I think I have seen my error now, I was thinking that you daisy chained all the wires, so you were left with a just 2 wires to go into the plug, so if I understand it correctly I will have 12 wires (as I have 6 panels) and 6 live's go into one wago with the live flex attached and 6 neutrals go into another Wago with the neutral flex attached and the earth remaining from the flex goes into another Wago. Hope I'm correct.

And yes, I do have the Inkbird thermostat.

Thanks again for the help Steve.

Leave a comment:

• SimonWCue
    replied
    [QUOTE=Danger Steve;n1025183]

Hi mate,

Start with a blank plug, swap out the 13amp fuse for a 5amp fuse. Next you

Leave a comment:

• Danger Steve
    replied
    Originally Posted by SimonWCue View Post

Hi Steve,

I have just discovered this brilliant post and love everything you have done with the table, so much so, I am following your under table heating method, I am just stuck on how to make the DIY fly lead to connect the whole thing up, total noob when it comes to wiring, but if you can give me a more detailed idea of how to achieve this, I would be hugely grateful. Thanks mate, and thanks for sharing all your processes with us.
    Hi mate,

Start with a blank plug, swap out the 13amp fuse for a 5amp fuse. Next you’ll need some 1.5mm flex cable to wire into plug, plenty of You Tube videos on how to do that. Next get yourself some Wago connectors, you’ll need the ones with 5 terminals to take all the wires from the panels, connect the live wires together with the live from your fly lead, and then connect your neutrals together with the fly lead, you won’t need the earth so just stick that in a Wago of its own or just snip it short and don’t wire it up in the plug! Even better get the 1.5mm flex without an earth wire!

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-221-...-25-pack/5201r

Once everything is connected plug your flylead into your thermostat and plug your thermostat into the mains plug socket! If you have an Inkbird one like mine you’ll then spend about 3 hours trying to set up the App! Lol .. It can be frustrating if your not a techie type of guy, but it’s well worth it when it’s set up!

Was there anything else your stuck with?

* A note on the probe wire from your thermostat. Make sure you fit this where the cross members of the frame are, don’t fit it between the panel and the slate because it will hold the panel away slightly and create a cold spot! Better off jamming it in the 10 or 15mm gap above the cross member, just wedge it in tight upto the slate with an off cut of your insulation board!

Leave a comment:

• SimonWCue
    replied
    Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
    Hi Evil, once you have all the panels in place under the table you just need them connecting to a standard plug via a DIY fly lead made from the same cable used to wire the mats. The plug then plugs into the ‘heating’ socket on the one I used. Job done! Mount the unit under the table and that plugs into your main supply socket. The probe then pushes up the back of the slates beneath the table. Once you have it all in place I downloaded the ‘TuyaSmart’ app which connects to the box under the table and allows you to control the temp via your mobile, so you don’t need to get under the table again! Simples..

The app also controls my heater/air con unit, which is great to have both on the same app!

If you go for the one you suggested just make sure you set it to use the probe cable as the sensor (the 2.5m cable supplied is very sort though!) you don’t want it set to use the air temp sensor, else it’ll never work!

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I have just discovered this brilliant post and love everything you have done with the table, so much so, I am following your under table heating method, I am just stuck on how to make the DIY fly lead to connect the whole thing up, total noob when it comes to wiring, but if you can give me a more detailed idea of how to achieve this, I would be hugely grateful. Thanks mate, and thanks for sharing all your processes with us.

Leave a comment:

• philip in china
    replied
    My socket is at one side of the table. Certainly the centre would be the worst place. I never have needed to run a heater under the table but the option is there.

My AC unit in there is enough heating even at -20 outside.

Leave a comment:

• trying
    replied
    When I did mine I measured and put the socket just inside where one of the legs was going to sit. I felt that too far under the table might be too awkward to get to. Close to a leg makes it easy to run a relatively discrete cable up to heat mats and LED lights.

Leave a comment:

• Delphi
    replied
    I don't plan to heat my table in the future but when the concrete base is placed i can ask to run the cable through to the exact center, from the corner where the cables will run from to lights and power outlets in the walls.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X