Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely Jubbly
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Fantastic efforts Steve, keep up the good work mate.You can see from these photo's just how much work is involved, probably a whole lot more than many people may think!!

I guess the important thing now as you get nearer the "winning post" is to maintain the quality of your work to get a great quality finish and result, as you say you are a perfectionist so im sure you will achieve it!!

There have been a few projects like yours on the forum over time and some quite recent so i'm sure you will get some sound advice on good lighting and table heating etc to add icing on the cake!

Good luck, and look forward to seeing more of build as you progress.:encouragement:
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Yeah it’s a lot of hard back breaking work, at least it is when your on a tight budget and doing everything yourself! Fortunately I am in the building trade so not short of the right tools and some know how... One thing I couldn’t really allow for at the time was the constant rain we’ve had over the past 2/3 months! It’s really slowed the outdoor work and why I only have 1 shed 85% complete and the other only at 50%. Plus I have now been slightly distracted by the arrival of the Aristocrat table I will be refurbishing for the project! Pics of that to follow...

Comment

Ok so I’m starting to look at lighting!

One thing I took note of when I went to the Champ of Champs final a few weeks ago was the pro lights they use. Most available on EBay seem to only cover around 10ft of the table and are concentrating the light down the centre, whereas the pro lighting seems to overhang the table length and angle inwards. Another obvious thing I spotted with some ‘snooker table lights’ on EBay is that they are basically office lighting with a snooker badge stuck to the side?!

So instead of spending ?400-?1000 on over the top ‘pro snooker lights’, I think I going to opt for some LED batten lights, 4000k (neutral white) 7000 lumens. I’m think 4 of these at ?30 each will be a total of 28,000 lumens of light, they are available in 5ft or 6ft. So I’m thinking I’ll install them in two rows of two spread apart by a foot or two and angled in slightly pointing the light towards the centre of the table. Hopefully this should give a similar spread of light to the Pro lights on TV?? It’s not necessarily the look of the TV lights I’m trying to copy, more the way they light the table, there seem to be hardly any shadows from the cushions or balls?

What do you chaps think?

Comment

the TV table has two banks of lights to help the cameras, the non-tv tables have only one set down the middle.
            if you get two units of 5ft each of the duet natural white, high frequency units, butted end on down the middle and have them 5-6ft above the bed of the table then the light will be good all round
            we have this on the three tables in our social club and they work well
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Why do you think most go for these 10ft lights? Why not cover the full12ft?I realise that this may only be what is available for their budget, but you’d think manufactures would make 2x6ft units? I wonder if there is a reason for this? I can see with the old style snooker coffin lights how they are shorter but the angles of the timber direct the light into the cushions.... I always thought it seemed dark though at both ends of the table.

I think I’ll order 4 of these LED lights because there much narrower than those office style lights... I can then play around with how I fix them to the ceiling. Really need the table in position first though I suppose.... bugger..

Comment

Superb to see another snooker room project on here.

I have followed another 2 recently and it's interesting to see how many different ways have been used to get to the same place, the human mind eh!

I wasn't sure how far you are from the house as that seems a long way to take pipes from a central heating system?

I've been lucky enough to record 4 snooker room projects in these articles if anyone wants a look with 2 more guys sending photos of their nearly finished rooms, love the passion behind each one:

https://www.snookercrazy.com/snooker-articles/
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  Superb to see another snooker room project on here.

I have followed another 2 recently and it's interesting to see how many different ways have been used to get to the same place, the human mind eh!

I wasn't sure how far you are from the house as that seems a long way to take pipes from a central heating system?

I've been lucky enough to record 4 snooker room projects in these articles if anyone wants a look with 2 more guys sending photos of their nearly finished rooms, love the passion behind each one:

https://www.snookercrazy.com/snooker-articles/
                  I’ll probably have to install a booster pump to the central heating close to where I will be taking the feeds from the house. It’s roughly 10m to the shed so I think it would be asking a bit much of the current pump to take it that far. I’ll also use 15mm pipe to give it a good chance!

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                    Ok so I’m starting to look at lighting!

One thing I took note of when I went to the Champ of Champs final a few weeks ago was the pro lights they use. Most available on EBay seem to only cover around 10ft of the table and are concentrating the light down the centre, whereas the pro lighting seems to overhang the table length and angle inwards. Another obvious thing I spotted with some ‘snooker table lights’ on EBay is that they are basically office lighting with a snooker badge stuck to the side?!

So instead of spending ?400-?1000 on over the top ‘pro snooker lights’, I think I going to opt for some LED batten lights, 4000k (neutral white) 7000 lumens. I’m think 4 of these at ?30 each will be a total of 28,000 lumens of light, they are available in 5ft or 6ft. So I’m thinking I’ll install them in two rows of two spread apart by a foot or two and angled in slightly pointing the light towards the centre of the table. Hopefully this should give a similar spread of light to the Pro lights on TV?? It’s not necessarily the look of the TV lights I’m trying to copy, more the way they light the table, there seem to be hardly any shadows from the cushions or balls?

What do you chaps think?
                    Won't 4000K be on the yellow side? I have 5000K in my lighting and I would have used 6.5K if I could have gotten them(this is what we have in the regular house lights). 6.5K brings out any blue in a white wall, but we like that. 5000K seems to be fine. I only have 6000 lumens total, but my lights are close to the table.

And yes, keep posting pics of the Snooker Barn(tm) build along with the table refurb. Always good to see pics of what people are doing.

Comment

Originally Posted by wlorcb View Post

Won't 4000K be on the yellow side? I have 5000K in my lighting and I would have used 6.5K if I could have gotten them(this is what we have in the regular house lights). 6.5K brings out any blue in a white wall, but we like that. 5000K seems to be fine. I only have 6000 lumens total, but my lights are close to the table.

And yes, keep posting pics of the Snooker Barn(tm) build along with the table refurb. Always good to see pics of what people are doing.
                      Humm not sure now... They do make a 6k version of the LED batten lights I was looking at but I though they might look too blue and make the green of the cloth look weird? To my understanding 2k-3k was warm white (orange/yellow tint) 4k-5k a neutral/ natural white and 5k-6k onwards are cool white which has more of a blue tint. I’ve always thought the cool white hurts your eyes after a white? I’ve used them occasionally on bathroom refurbs and by the end of day working on the bathroom my eyes felt strained , especially if there was no window and they are the only light source.

Well the ceiling is roughly 2.2m from the floor and I wanted to fix the lights pretty much as tight as possible to that, so that would give me a gap of approx 4 foot to the slate. I suppose if I went with 2 lights to start with and see how well lit it is, I could always get another 2 to spread the light out.

Comment

Just going to try this....

Here is a private link to my imgBB snooker project photo album.

https://ibb.co/album/jwyxGF

Comment

Look at the legs on that!!

Before - During - After !

Decided to go with the silver look for the table legs, I spent a fair bit of time looking at my options but in the end I actually just prefer the silver to anything else.... I did toy with bronze at one point :uncomfortableness:

The corner legs where pretty bashed up by previous owners using the rest and bumping into the legs, also small scratches and marks around the bottoms of all legs. I gave each leg a good rub down with sand paper and wire wool, 2-pack wood filled any damage and marks, then primed with 2 coats of grey primer, sanding inbetween coats. After that 2 more coats of metallic silver just to give it a slight sparkle! Finally finished them off with a satin spray varnish.
                          Last edited by Danger Steve; 30 November 2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Frosty start this morning!

Comment

After the legs I made a start on stripping the varnish and stain off the cushions and the main frame side rails (I'm sure they have a proper name..?)

At first glace the woodwork looks OK, but previous owners have applied a thick brush on varnish to the cushions which make the look a bit odd and too shiny for me!

The original Northern rubber is still there from 1983, the same year the table was made! Time to be replaced me thinks..!

Rebated lining blocks being removed and will be replaced with custom made hardwood blocks & removable softwood tacking strip on the bottom.

The temporary workshop!
                              Last edited by Danger Steve; 30 November 2019, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Arches removed, holes and marks filled and sanded ready for priming.... I need to get more silver paint!

Close-up of the pitting... the corner legs had the exact same marks as these arch pieces.

Comment

Working...
                                X