Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time for an update on progress!!

A few weeks ago I enlisted the help of a sparky mate to wire up the mini consumer unit which means I now have power to the shed, no more extension lead! While he was over I talked him into giving me a lift to fit the heater/aircon unit which we did. I opted for a pre-gassed unit which meant it was suitable for DIY installation a 12000 BTU inverter with WiFi connection! Over that weekend I decided to box over the pipes from the external fan unit just to make it look part of the shed!

Comment

• Next job was to finally get the carpet tiles fitted!

Comment

• You can see on the above images the Aircon unit mounted to the wall!

Comment

• Rather annoyingly when I originally ordered the carpet tiles I ordered them in dark grey which I thought would show off the silver legs better... however when the tiles arrived, the flooring company had only sent 1 box of the dark grey, the rest of the order where a light grey. After several emails back and forth the company actually refunded my money and let me keep the tiles! So as a freebie I now had to think of a creative way of using what I had. As you can see I opted to keep the darker tiles under the table and I installed the lighter tiles to the rest of the floor.

Comment

• We looked at exactly the same floor tile Steve !
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• The next job was to sort out several cushion bolts that had been cross threaded by the previous owner. The captive nuts in the slate are originally held in place with a resin, this is very easy to drill out to then remove the old nut. I noticed some of the bolt holes were full of slate dust at the back of the hole near the nut, I think this dust must have jammed in the threads and is most likely the reason for damaging the thread on the captive nuts.. So I painstakingly went into every hole with a thin screwdriver, loosened off any built up slate dust and then hoovered out each hole! This proved to work very well and combined with several replacement nuts, I now had a full set ready to go!

​​​​​​​

Comment

• So now the heating is done, the floor down, the electrics finished, it was time to make a final levelling of the table before filling the slate joints! I bit the bullet and bought a 12” engineering level!

Comment

• After what seemed like a lifetime I eventually got the table as near to perfectly level as possible without making allowances for the curvature of the earth... Next I used some soft sand car body filler to fill the slate joints.

All filled and sanded flat and the timber batons screwed back into position ready for the new cloth!

Comment

• Time to put all that cloth stretching practice to use and install the new Strachan 6811 29oz tournament cloth!

Comment

• And finally time to get the cushions back on and bolted up!

Comment

• I’m still in two minds about whether to paint the room or not? I quite like the wood boarding, it reminds me that it is just a shed after all, it isn’t trying to be something that it’s not...

What do you guys think?

Comment

• The last jobs outstanding now are:

Chrome rest hooks to be installed.
                          Leg bolt covers, paint silver and fit.
                          DIY table heating using carbon heat matting to make and install.
                          Table area for the all important cup of tea!
                          Possibly install a smart TV to watch a few YouTube videos and the snooker?? Not sure on that yet though?
                          Pimp up the silver slide in cushion bolt covers with a Riley Aristocrat logo?

It’s been an epic 18 month journey from the first clearing of the site and pouring the foundation to finally getting the room and table near completion and having my first home game, winning it 3-2!! There has literally been bloody sweat and tears! I hope everyone has enjoyed the blog and hopefully it’s helped keep spirits high during these testing times. Maybe it’ll even inspire others to take on their own projects in the future and keep our great sport alive!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                              The last jobs outstanding now are:

Chrome rest hooks to be installed.
                              Leg bolt covers, paint silver and fit.
                              DIY table heating using carbon heat matting to make and install.
                              Table area for the all important cup of tea!
                              Possibly install a smart TV to watch a few YouTube videos and the snooker?? Not sure on that yet though?
                              Pimp up the silver slide in cushion bolt covers with a Riley Aristocrat logo?

Nearly there!
                              Steve, that is absolutely beautiful mate, what a great job, I am so jealous!

As for the bells & whistles you mention above, well why not? I would love adding the finishing touches but probably over time as ideas pop in your head. Possibly some architrave to create panels on side walls might look cool, you could hang some cool memorabilia and pictures etc in the middle of them then? I'm not sure it needs paint either but you may decide to darken it a little if you feel its too bright when playing.

Most important thing now Steve is to enjoy it! Crack on with the line ups and get matches set up with people.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

• I think it looks great Steve ,and it’s more than a shed so yeah I would paint and or paper if it it were me ,stick up a couple of shelves and few snooker pics .Hows all the damp proofing working out now it’s had nearly a year up ,hope all is holding dry

Comment

Working...
                                X