Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by EvilDealer View Post
    Steve, how is the 12000 BTU heater standing up to the winter months? looking at one myself + a electric heater for my garage
    It’s really fantastic I have to say! It easily copes with the cubic meterage of the shed, but the ceiling height is only 2.2m ish and about 1.9m at the wall so that’s probably why. Having the WiFi version is great to be able to control it from my phone, now the nights are dropping to just a few degrees outside I’ve set a program to run from midnight to 8am. The unit comes on for 20mins every 2 hours, this just stops the room from dropping below 14/15 degrees C. The problem with just leaving it running constantly is that because it cools as well, once it reaches the target temperature and above it then switches to cooling and back to heating and so forth, so it never really stops... hence the program. So far it’s been working well and hopefully not costing me a fortune in electric! Also having the table heating on permanently is great, that actually turns itself off once the target temperature is set, so I can easily control that from my phone app. I tend to turn it down to 18 over night then whenever I want to have a practice I just turn it upto 23. Once the slate hits that the surface temperature/cloth is just very slightly warm to the touch (not hot). It will then hold that temperature for a good hour or so before the temperature drops and thermostat/programmer switches the mat back on.... so it must be pretty cost effective!? I also cover the table when not in use with the original cover plus two large duvets to help keep the bed and cushions nice and snug!

All this combined means the table has been playing reasonably well so far... fingers crossed!

Comment

• Good stuff steve,
      I'm asking really because I am thinking of getting one. The problem I have is that the wall I want to mount it on is on the border of next doors property so I would have to have the external part somewhere else. Is this possible? By the looks of it, the external part has to sit on the wall outside somewhere close to the unit

Comment

Good stuff steve,
        I'm asking really because I am thinking of getting one. The problem I have is that the wall I want to mount it on is on the border of next doors property so I would have to have the external part somewhere else. Is this possible? By the looks of it, the external part has to sit on the wall outside somewhere close to the unit
        The further the external unit is from the internal unit the less efficient it becomes apparently... The kit comes with I think 5 meters of pipe, but you can buy an additional 10 meters if you need to mount the unit further away. All I did was put extra boxing around the already insulated pipe and stuffed it with rockwool (loft insulation) to make sure the pipe didn’t loose any heat/cool.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post

The further the external unit is from the internal unit the less efficient it becomes apparently... The kit comes with I think 5 meters of pipe, but you can buy an additional 10 meters if you need to mount the unit further away. All I did was put extra boxing around the already insulated pipe and stuffed it with rockwool (loft insulation) to make sure the pipe didn’t loose any heat/cool.
          That's really helpful, thankyou. I think I will go with one. What voltage do they need to power one of these things?

Comment

• Great to see your progress Steve. Looks like you have a fab heating set up and helping others. I may consider the inverter unit as well, once I am at that stage. Seems a better option that the electric radiator I was considering.

Comment

That's really helpful, thankyou. I think I will go with one. What voltage do they need to power one of these things?
              Standard 240v, they come with a moulded plug. I chopped the plug off and ran it through a fuse spur back to the small consumer unit we fit into the shed. I say I... I mean the sparky.

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post
                Great to see your progress Steve. Looks like you have a fab heating set up and helping others. I may consider the inverter unit as well, once I am at that stage. Seems a better option that the electric radiator I was considering.
                yes these units are very efficient, they produce 3kw of energy for every 1kw they use. Triple A rated

Comment

• Hi Steve, could you post up where to get the air con/ heater you installed. We were going to do radiators but are now looking at what you have done, cheers.
                  This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                  https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/865...years-warranty

Comment

• The 12000btu in that link is suitable for room sizes upto 30 m2, you guys will need a larger unit I would say to cover the 50+ m2 you have... just make sure if you do go for one to check that it’s the easy install version which come pre-gassed and get a WiFi controller version which I wouldn’t be without now!

Some of the cheaper units have to be installed by a qualified fitter because they need filling with the gas, which then actually makes them very expensive! The easy fit version I bought is suppose to be DIY, which it is if your a hands on type of person, I wouldn’t recommend it though if your all thumbs.... maybe get the builders to fit it for you, or better still a plumber if you know one.

Comment

• For anyone with timber frame buildings I wouldn’t recommend buying the wall bracket kit like I did, instead you want to mount in on its own little platform near the building but no attached, that way it doesn’t vibrate the whole building when the fan kicks in!

Comment

The 12000btu in that link is suitable for room sizes upto 30 m2, you guys will need a larger unit I would say to cover the 50+ m2 you have... just make sure if you do go for one to check that it’s the easy install version which come pre-gassed and get a WiFi controller version which I wouldn’t be without now!
                          I was hoping the low ceiling heights would help, but you might be right actually. I'll have 44m2. Will give them a call and ask.

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            Hi Steve, could you post up where to get the air con/ heater you installed. We were going to do radiators but are now looking at what you have done, cheers.
                            How is your build progressing? Have you posted and photos up anywhere? Would love to see it

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post

How is your build progressing? Have you posted and photos up anywhere? Would love to see it
                              Waiting for trusses, all framing done and wrapped in breathable membrane and batons on. Log board for outside got delivered today. Hopefully trusses should be here next week, we were told 2 weeks but it's been three now, they are really holding us back. We might have sneaked in before crimbo if they had turned up on time.
                              I can't be bothered putting up pictures the way the site is just now.

Comment

The 12000btu in that link is suitable for room sizes upto 30 m2, you guys will need a larger unit I would say to cover the 50+ m2 you have... just make sure if you do go for one to check that it’s the easy install version which come pre-gassed and get a WiFi controller version which I wouldn’t be without now!

Some of the cheaper units have to be installed by a qualified fitter because they need filling with the gas, which then actually makes them very expensive! The easy fit version I bought is suppose to be DIY, which it is if your a hands on type of person, I wouldn’t recommend it though if your all thumbs.... maybe get the builders to fit it for you, or better still a plumber if you know one.
                                Thanks Steve, yeah we have someone to fit it. I think we are definitely going down this route.

Comment

Working...
                                X