Project Snooker Shed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi ED! Good question...

The vibration is more inside the building, because I fixed the mounting brackets to the shed and the shed being built from wood it sends a vibration throughout! The actual noise of the external unit? Hard to say what to compare it to? Put it this way, my garden is about 17m long, the unit is mounted round the back of the shed (so it’s not visible from the garden), and if I’m stood near the house I can’t hear the unit running, at night when it’s really quiet you can just about make it out barely. If your stood right next to it then it’s probably as loud as one of those room fans you’d have in the house during summer on full speed. It’s not deafening, but I’d say if your neighbours are more than 10m away to their patio they would just hear a slight humming possibly. Really it’s only at its loudest when it first starts up and it’s working hard to get up to temperature... after this it’s much quieter.

Not sure if that helps? I’ll see if I can do a video over the weekend if you can wait until then?

Steve

Comment

• I was meaning to ask you Steve ,how’s the snooker room holding up after a winter with snow ,ice and lashings of rain ,any damp or condensation problems , I know when you started you nearly tore it down because you had to re do some things .

Comment

• It’s been surprising good! Still standing! No issues when it had 2” of snow on the roof, heating is fine, table still plays great with both the inverter and slate heating.

I think I listened to so called experts on another forum and panicked that it would fall down! I should have trusted my own methods... yes OK it’s not how a building that size ‘should’ be built, but at the end of the day I didn’t have 10’s of thousands to spend and it is only a ‘shed’ I thought at the time.

The real cock-up on my part was fitting none breathable membrane by mistake! I thought it was breathable and cracked on without giving it a second thought! Oooops

The addition of an air gap in the roof and swapping out the insulation I think has had a massive impact, that and the foil vapour barrier on the inside really help keep the heat in! It’s funny actually because during this cold spell I’ve realised I need to seal around the spotlights as heat must be escaping through the holes because there are circular melted spots on the roof, when the rest is covered in ice/snow.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
          Hi ED! Good question...

The vibration is more inside the building, because I fixed the mounting brackets to the shed and the shed being built from wood it sends a vibration throughout! The actual noise of the external unit? Hard to say what to compare it to? Put it this way, my garden is about 17m long, the unit is mounted round the back of the shed (so it’s not visible from the garden), and if I’m stood near the house I can’t hear the unit running, at night when it’s really quiet you can just about make it out barely. If your stood right next to it then it’s probably as loud as one of those room fans you’d have in the house during summer on full speed. It’s not deafening, but I’d say if your neighbours are more than 10m away to their patio they would just hear a slight humming possibly. Really it’s only at its loudest when it first starts up and it’s working hard to get up to temperature... after this it’s much quieter.

Not sure if that helps? I’ll see if I can do a video over the weekend if you can wait until then?

Steve
          Hi Steve,
          Only if you have time, but yes a small video would really help me with my decision, that would be awesome. If its to much of a paint then no worries

Comment

• Great news on your snooker shed standing up well against the weather Steve. How's the practice and break building development going for you? And how are the table heaters working?

Comment

• Don’t talk to me about break building I’ve been trying what seems like it should be a simple routine I learnt from Steve Barton and I have only come close to completing it once in the last couple of months! I’ve had a few tons in the line-up but I know realistically they don’t mean nowt! Lol

Table heaters are really REALLY good, it also makes playing the game more pleasant as the cloth is always warm to the touch! For the price of the materials and a little know how I would say they really are a must for any serious player!

Good to see some progress on your build, long way to go still but it’ll be worth the wait no doubt!

Comment

Don’t talk to me about break building I’ve been trying what seems like it should be a simple routine I learnt from Steve Barton and I have only come close to completing it once in the last couple of months! I’ve had a few tons in the line-up but I know realistically they don’t mean nowt! Lol

Table heaters are really REALLY good, it also makes playing the game more pleasant as the cloth is always warm to the touch! For the price of the materials and a little know how I would say they really are a must for any serious player!

Good to see some progress on your build, long way to go still but it’ll be worth the wait no doubt!
                I think the game being so tough is partially the reason we love it! Just think back to months ago and the progress you'll have made. I think with everything, there's a mental barrier, and once you pass that, you'll crack the routine with ease. I remember a video you posted, you should do another. It was great to see.

Yes your table and heaters do look great and I'm glad it's all worked out for you. I've been watching my build and it's tough at times, can only imagine the labour of love doing it yourself.

Which heating film did you go for? Have you kept a link for where you got them? I'm not sure I'll attempt it, but enjoy looking into these things and planning. I've seen a few on eBay, wouldn't know which is the best one or how they vary and the effects of that.

Comment

• https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloo....m46890.l49292

Comment

• Just make sure you have a double socket fitted central beneath the table! I just made a small channel in the concrete for the cables and then patched over before fitting the flooring!

I could probably make you a set? Is it an Aristocrat table you said you were buying?

Comment

Just make sure you have a double socket fitted central beneath the table! I just made a small channel in the concrete for the cables and then patched over before fitting the flooring!

I could probably make you a set? Is it an Aristocrat table you said you were buying?
                      Hi Steve

That link didn't work.

Yes it's a Riley Aristocrat. I would certainly be interested, just keen to understand the components and what installation would look like.

Comment

• Originally Posted by EvilDealer View Post

Hi Steve,
                        Only if you have time, but yes a small video would really help me with my decision, that would be awesome. If its to much of a paint then no worries
                        What’s your email bud? I’ll sort this video out later and email it across!

Comment

• Originally Posted by NonStarter View Post

Hi Steve

That link didn't work.

Yes it's a Riley Aristocrat. I would certainly be interested, just keen to understand the components and what installation would look like.
                          If you look at page 13 of this blog you can see how is made the panels and there’s a photo of them installed beneath the table. To actually connect all the panels together this is done using WAGO connectors, so you don’t have to be an electrician, just connect all the brown wires together and all the blue wires together, a few clips here and there to hold the loose cables in place and jobs a gudun! Connect the thermostat, position the probe/sensor and plug in.

Try this link... it’s the 80cm version not the 1m version I went for which is what you really need.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloo....m46890.l49292

Comment

• Hi Steve,
                            Email is dee_bristol@hotmail.com. cheers, bud

Comment

It’s been surprising good! Still standing! No issues when it had 2” of snow on the roof, heating is fine, table still plays great with both the inverter and slate heating.

I think I listened to so called experts on another forum and panicked that it would fall down! I should have trusted my own methods... yes OK it’s not how a building that size ‘should’ be built, but at the end of the day I didn’t have 10’s of thousands to spend and it is only a ‘shed’ I thought at the time.

The real cock-up on my part was fitting none breathable membrane by mistake! I thought it was breathable and cracked on without giving it a second thought! Oooops

The addition of an air gap in the roof and swapping out the insulation I think has had a massive impact, that and the foil vapour barrier on the inside really help keep the heat in! It’s funny actually because during this cold spell I’ve realised I need to seal around the spotlights as heat must be escaping through the holes because there are circular melted spots on the roof, when the rest is covered in ice/snow.
                              Did you put any insulation in the walls and ceiling Steve? I've spent all day cutting and putting 100 mil kingspan in the walls, horrible dusty job.
                              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                                Did you put any insulation in the walls and ceiling Steve? I've spent all day cutting and putting 100 mil kingspan in the walls, horrible dusty job.
                                It’s a nasty horrible job that and it smells! But yes insulation in the walls and ceiling!

Comment

Working...
                                X